[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why and when did people start to use the cross to represent Christianity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: fish_black.gif (6KB, 650x270px) Image search: [Google]
fish_black.gif
6KB, 650x270px
Why and when did people start to use the cross to represent Christianity when the fish was the original symbol
>>
>>3229152
>When
Around the time the Roman Empire stopped using crucifixion as a punishment for rebels and other scum
>Why?
Because the association with crucifixion for most people until Constantine abolished it was with criminals and other scum. Then you need a bit of time for the association to fade.
>>
>>3229171
Why switch from the fish though?
>>
>>3229173
Why not?
>>
>>3229173

To put the focus on God-Christ sacrifice as some heresies claim that he did not die in the cross.
>>
>>3229186
>some heresies claim that he did not die in the cross.

damn, early Christianity was a shit-show. i've lost track of all the heresies
>>
>>3229575
even modern afrocentrists claim jesus did not die on the cross, it's a common theme for some reason
>>
>>3229775

jehovah witnesses too
>>
>>3229775
>>3230744
How did he die then?
>>
>>3230896

Car crash.
>>
>>3230896
shot by a white cop, he was a gud boi gettin his life together been goin to church
>>
>>3230904
>>3230935
a likely story
>>
>>3229152
>When?
After Saint Helena, mother of Constantine, went to look for the cross used in Christ's crucifixion and gave parts of it away across the empire.
>Why?
Because the cross has a more personal relationship with Jesus and his sacrifice for humanity, and since they believed they had parts of the actual cross the connection was even stronger.
>>
>>3229575
They're all pretty much still around.
>>
>>3229575
>>3229775
>>3230744
>>3230896
>>3230904
>>3230935
>>3230965
>>3231045

Even M*slims claim Jesus didn't die on the cross and that's why they're so autistic about the cross imagery.
>>
>>3231062
>>3231062
>afrocentrists denying the crucifixtion
That´s interesting. I know that Muslim were docetic, but I haven´t head about it in the context of African history. (or trying to invent one.) How did they happen on the idea? It is interesting that this is so important to them.
>>
>>3231335
There was a period of my life where I watched a ton of dr john clarke(famous afrocentrist) and when he was talking about early christianity he claimed that jesus didn't die on the cross

like the other anon said for some reason this seems to be a really common thing to deny, JW's do it, gnostics do it, even muslims do it
>>
File: roman shitposting.png (94KB, 754x1004px) Image search: [Google]
roman shitposting.png
94KB, 754x1004px
>It isn’t surprising that Christians took a while to embrace the image of Christ on the cross, given that crucifixion was a humiliating way to die. What is surprising is what the earliest image of the crucifixion turns out to be. Rather than the devotional icons with which we are familiar – pictures that glorify Jesus’s death – this earliest image appears to be some late second-century graffiti mocking Christians.

>Called the Alexamenos Graffito, the image shows a figure with the head of a donkey on a cross with the words: “Alexamenos worships his God.” This was apparently a common accusation in antiquity, as Minucius Felix(Octavius 9.3; 28.7) and Tertullian (Apology 16.12) both attest. Since the graffito was clearly not made by a Christian, this image suggests that non-Christians were familiar with some core elements of Christian belief as early as the second century.

this is literally a 2nd century version of a mspaint comic shitpost holy lel
>>
File: Ephesus_Ichthys.jpg (9KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
Ephesus_Ichthys.jpg
9KB, 500x200px
>>3229152
The wheel is cool because it was also used in early Buddhist symbolism.
Also the word wheel has many cognates across Indo-European languages one of them being chakra.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wheel
>>
>>3231392
The guy on the left looks like Fred in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g931LC43MQ
>>
File: Chrismon_Sancti_Ambrosii.jpg (15KB, 220x221px) Image search: [Google]
Chrismon_Sancti_Ambrosii.jpg
15KB, 220x221px
>>3231685
I don't think that's a wheel, anon.
>>
>>3229775
>for some reason
Well, you can't exactly prove it now, can you?
>>
You'd think they would have used the sign of the moved rock (resurrection) rather than the cross (death).
>>
>>3229152
because the fish is the symbol of Dagon
>>
>>3232928
all 4 canon gospels tell of him being crucified
>>
>>3229775
There's a village in Japan that claims it was actually Jesus' brother who switched places with him
>>
>>3233819
What does Mehrunes Dagon have to do with Jesus?
>>
>>3229152
>When
Apostolic era.
>Why
To repurpose a Roman symbol of worldly power over individuals as a symbol of God's power and love over the evils of man. However it was extremely rare until a century or two later, though.
>>
>>3229173
One is a fish and the other is God sacrificing his own life for you
>>
>>3234249
Jesus was originally one of the nine divines, but was suppressed by the Altmer.
>>
>>3233909
The 4 gospels are word-for-word identical in many places so that isn't exactly a great argument. It looks more like they copied each other, or a 5th document we no longer have. It would be more convincing if there were thematic similarities, but no copy/pasted sections.
>>
>>3234249
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagon
am I the only one that reads /pol/ infographs and images around here?
>>
>>3231392
Back in these days they had their own memes. Do you think they made lots of memes about cuckoldry with christians? I bet Diogenes made amazing mspaints.
>>
>>3233749
Interesting point
>>
File: bread.jpg (341KB, 1062x870px) Image search: [Google]
bread.jpg
341KB, 1062x870px
>>3231685
Thats no wheel...
>>
>>3233749
Harder to make into a cool sign. Let's face it, they took the cross because it's cool and simple.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.