[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone else in history ever gone so quickly from "well

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: freud.jpg (83KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
freud.jpg
83KB, 1000x1000px
Has anyone else in history ever gone so quickly from "well respect authority of his field" to "batshit crazy pseudoscientist?" The only reason anyone's brought up Freud in modern times has mostly been to point out how nobody believes in Freudian psychology anymore. This happened to some extent with the ancient Greeks too, but they had way more time before modern science started making them look bad.
>>
>>3220778
Someday it will be Einstein
>>
Guy was a fraud from the start and never should've been respected in the first place.
>"Little Hans's fear of horses is due to unresolved sexual feelings towards his father."
>"But didn't he literally watch a horse kill a man?"
>"Not if I don't put it in the case study, he didn't."
>"You can't just omit inconven-"
>"Another brilliant diagnosis!"
>>
"Freud was a pseud" is babby's first intellectual opinion.

1. Psychoanalysis is primarily a form a therapy. It's not about making descriptive claims on par with experimental psychology.

2. Freud's insights were so profound and affected our thought so deeply that we don't even notice his ideas are implicit in the way we think about people. You probably accept all sorts of Freudian presuppositions and don't realize it. All that's left to notice about Freud once his views are implicit in our culture are the errors in his thought.
>>
>>3220915
"Freud isn't actually bullshit" is babby's first contrarian opinion.
>All that's left to notice about Freud once his views are implicit in our culture are the errors in his thought.
Except lots of famous thinkers have views that are implicit in our culture without being considered pseudoscience garbage in retrospect.
>>
>>3220778
Ancient Greeks still represent a high point in many fields. So, in closing, eat a bag of shit.
>>
>>3220984
>Ancient Greeks still represent a high point in many fields
If only I qualified my statement with something like "this happened to some extent." Oh, right, I did exactly that so fuck off faggot.
>>
>>3220984
>Ancient Greeks still represent a high point in many fields
what fields apart from classical studies?
>>
>>3220912
When you try to criticize a realm person with piles of writing not by discussing these writing but by making up a story you have pretty much discredited yourself as being capable of any real thought. You make ape sounds or at best act like a parrot that has learned a few words of English.
>>
>>3220778
Freud is one of those people that everyone uses the methodology and terms he invented every time they want to sound smart, but they don't give him the credit, because he's since been defamed.

He literally was the first true expositor of the subconscious, and now everyone acts like it has always been common knowledge.
>>
>>3221024
>the first true expositor of the subconscious
His idea of the subconscious has nothing to do with the current understanding of the subconscious brain processes.
>>
>>3221069
What exactly are you talking about when you say "subconscious brain processes" ?
>>
His ID, ego and superego resemble the division of the brain between the amygdala and neocortex. His theories about how past traumas can have a profound effect on someone throughout their life resembles current understanding of PTSD and phobias. It was a step forward at a time when hysterectomies and lobotomies were still being performed, however he neglected the scientific approach which was needed to weed out much of his speculation.
>>
He was the ground breaker for lots of stuff in psychology but just read Little Hans' case study and you'll see all those memes about connecting everything to mothers is true.
>>
he was literally a fraud

all his good ideas were plagiarized, all his bad ideas were original
>>
Freud was a textbook example of da Vinci's ugly painter
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.