[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best in-depth history book providing a general overview

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: P67ppcf[1].png (46KB, 315x210px) Image search: [Google]
P67ppcf[1].png
46KB, 315x210px
What is the best in-depth history book providing a general overview of the Roman Empire?

I took a college course on Rome but the professor was only interested in Roman art (it was not a Roman art class) and our "textbook" was only 150 pages long. I need something meaty and deep. Recommendations?
>>
i dont understand the obsession with the Roman Empire, the history of the Republic, expanding steadily for 200years and its transition is much more interesting, it also introduces you to roman thinking, way of life and values that slowly eroded during the empire, eventually leading to its downfall
>>
>>3216951
Empires are just fascinating subjects for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that there are no (formal) ones left.

That said, it would be awesome if I could find a history book that begins with the founding of Rome and continues through at least the fall of the Western Roman Empire, though any further than that and it becomes less of a Roman history book and enters into "history of civilization" territory
>>
>>3216994
thatd be too long, thousands of pages probably
>>
>>3216951
Well, it is the same state, so...
>>
>>3217041
There has got to be some kind of book. I can't believe that such a work doesn't exist, Rome is just too popular a subject
>>
>>3216951
M8 I hate to break it to you but the downfall started after the second Punic wars.

It was rotten from the start.
>>
>>3216951
Mostly it's because the Emperors as characters are more interesting than dry history of battles and expansions.
>>
File: 19159435._SX540_.jpg (41KB, 540x303px) Image search: [Google]
19159435._SX540_.jpg
41KB, 540x303px
>>
Pre-Order Mike Duncan, the Storm Before the Storm! Help him get to 5,000 copies.

The Republic costs $400 a book now so best just listen to History of Rome through the fall of Carthage.
>>
>>3218346
lol no

Not to insult him but we just have access to so much more new information from new sources, archaeology and even genetics, which paints a new picture with new insights.

That's the trouble with trying to write a definitive history of a subject.
>>
>>3216811
You are not going to get an "in-depth" overview if you as for a quick general version. Either shut the fuck up and study for 5+ years or be content not knowing.
>>
>>3216811

>in-depth
>general overview

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 20170405_165443.jpg (95KB, 1080x214px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_165443.jpg
95KB, 1080x214px
>>3216811
If you truly mean general then check the corresponding CAH volumes and plates. Or something similar. It's both general and extensive and love how they go through the primary sources and their quality in the beginning of each volume. So it's really easy to read them yourself and be aware of the strengths and weaknesses beforehand.

Well written too. I love the x in connexion. Makes me want go and brew a cup of Scottish Black, ya know guv?
>>
>>3218393
>Muh Romans were black

>WE WUZ SCIPIOS N SHIEET

back to /pol/ with your leftist agenda buddy.
>>
>>3218393
>we just have access to so much more new information from new sources, archaeology and even genetics, which paints a new picture with new insights.
such as?
>>
>>3216811
Get some Adrian Goldsworthy; his Fall of the West is a pretty comprehensive look at the later emperors and the reasons for its decline beyond "muh Christianity".
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.