[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been a happy polymath? Or are they always miserable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Has there ever been a happy polymath? Or are they always miserable? Totally asking for a friend.
>>
I showed you my inventions now answer me.
>>
>>3216356
someone being a "polymath" arguably displays elements of mania and an unbalanced personality, while likely having unusual social relationships. I don't think they're all necessarily unhappy but by virtue of it being considered quite outside of the norm, even among "gifted" individuals, it's likely to come with a lot of odd behavioral traits.

I do find that a lot of my own friends and acquittances that pursued careers in academia have really big egos and are surprisingly focused on social attention more so than the subjects they work in. I'm not calling them shallow, just that they do care quite a bit about how people perceive them to an extent they're almost constantly unhappy. Someone diving into multiple subjects, and this is purely my opinion, is probably quite like this and worse
>>
>>3218632
>someone being a "polymath" arguably displays elements of mania and an unbalanced personality
>Being good at many things means you're crrrrrazy
I sense jealousy in this post.

>unbalanced personality
>unbalanced
>Literally the opposite

>it's likely to come with a lot of odd behavioral traits.
Now that I will concede. Polymaths are incredibly rare, even among geniuses, but I really don't see why that should mean they should have to be isolated. Of course, I also see why they couldn't find much common ground with other humans.

>Someone diving into multiple subjects, and this is purely my opinion, is probably quite like this and worse
This is wrong. Single-field focusers are attention whores because they're plebs. Even the "experts" are typically morons. Polymaths just don't have much time outside of their pursuits for attention whoring.
>>
>>3218668
I'm not jealous, why does every observation of a group have to imply jealousy on this site? True polymaths are so rare that for me to be jealous over not being one would be like being jealous over not being a old testament prophet. I have just met manic people before and I could easily see a polymath acting similarly to someone with bipolar disorder. With extreme highs and lows causing them to shift attention back and forth
>>
>>3218709
>I'm not jealous, why does every observation of a group have to imply jealousy on this site?
Because it's not an observation. You're literally attributing pathology to a group simply because you don't belong to it. I'm going to go ahead and assume you're not a psychologist.
>>
File: 1482322262679.jpg (233KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482322262679.jpg
233KB, 1000x1000px
>tfw too intelligent for happiness
>>
>>3218897
It's really not just a meme.
>>
>>3218593
Good post
>>
Perhaps I should restate the OP. HOW can a polymath become happy?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.