[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Tyre drink while it was under siege? It's water

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Tyre 004.jpg (33KB, 408x281px) Image search: [Google]
Tyre 004.jpg
33KB, 408x281px
How did Tyre drink while it was under siege? It's water normally came from the mainland and it was surrounded by salt water could no one set an effective blockade?
>>
Presumably either wells or large underground cisterns.

This is pretty basic siegecraft.
>>
>>3215553
salt water
>>
>>3215553
Was tyre originally built on an island separated from the mainland?
>>
>>3215715
Yes
>>
>>3215557
>wells right next to the sea
& humanitiesfags, everyone.
>>
>>3215722
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzH9vb9vo0
You were saying?
>>
>>3215722

Even coral reef islands can have fresh water. The osmotic balance of groundwater salinity is influenced by many geological factors, such as rock density, underground caverns etc. Good luck getting saline percolation through a solid metamorphic rock, on the other hand limestone dissolves easily resulting in massive underground caverns filled with salt water, and which undermines and eventually the entire island collapses into the ocean.
>>
>>3215553
Sieges will always be like the craziest part of old wars for me.

Like imagine wanting someone dead so much you.
>Build an earthworks bridge to an island (Alexander)
>Make walls around a fortification (Rome)
>Divert an entire river using a system trenches to flood a fortified city (Han Dynasty China)
>>
>>3215916
Making someone dead was not the goal you female subhuman, conquering the fucking city was.
>>
>>3215553
That was the plan :^)
>>
You can make fresh water from salt water quite easily, just boil it and catch the steam condensing and it drips back down as fresh water.

Fuck me.
>>
>>3215786
what's the point of this? can you see the fresh water?
>>
>>3215958
For a while city? This isn't a school science project.
>>
>>3216065
Whole*
>>
>>3216065
I mean, you could pretty easily today. I just doubt that you could with 300 BC tech
>>
>>3215715
No. The island was a newer construction and development. Old tyre was the city inland
>>
>>3216556
The problem is less tech and more whether or not you have enough fuel for it in a besieged city. I doubt the sun would shine hard and consistent enough.
>>
>>3215553
>>3215553
Their own piss
>>
File: desalinationprocess.gif (27KB, 193x220px) Image search: [Google]
desalinationprocess.gif
27KB, 193x220px
>>3216065
Sure, every one take a pot of sea water, everyone boil it over a fire with a tarp on the top
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.