[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did China establish the "Protectorate General to Pa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Protectorateofthewest.jpg (89KB, 600x392px) Image search: [Google]
Protectorateofthewest.jpg
89KB, 600x392px
Why did China establish the "Protectorate General to Pacify the West"? Why didn't they just rule it directly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectorate_General_to_Pacify_the_West
>>
>>3210506
>Rule over a desert and a bunch of city states that are far away from each other.
The Chinks were only after securing the silk road around there.
>>
That's how China works.
Even in their own lands Local Autonomy was historically very high
>>
>>3210506
>want trade with west
>trade depends on weak cities that get constantly bullied by nomads and fight each other
>this is bad for trade
>put the whole area under chink rule
>problem solved
>>
>>3210506
To make things easier for Paradox
>>
>>3210535
Uh, didn't read your question well, but my awnser still applies. "Direct rule" is not what you want in such a situation. Too bothersome, it defies the whole purpose of intervening in the area for economic reasons.
>>
File: Han_provinces.jpg (262KB, 555x545px) Image search: [Google]
Han_provinces.jpg
262KB, 555x545px
>>3210506
Because it takes time to build efficient infrastructure and develop land to turn conquered land from Territory/Protectorate to a Prefecture, especially desert with city states long away from each other.
They were successful in the most important areas, look at Hexi region.
"The total area of lad seized in Hexi alone was 426,700 square kilometers. In developing this region the Han spent 100 billion in cash per year, compared to the regular annual government revenue of 12 billion. In the process the Han government moved from the interior over 1 million people to populate and develop the Hexi river. Thus the Han conquest of the land west of the Yellow River was the greatest expansion in Chinese history."
>>
File: steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg (46KB, 288x358px) Image search: [Google]
steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.jpg
46KB, 288x358px
>>3211203
>Thus the Han conquest of the land west of the Yellow River was the greatest expansion in Chinese history
What drug are you smoking my man? The expansion of Chinese states during the Eastern Zhou, the conquest of the Yue kingdoms during the Han, or the early Qing expeditions were far greater.
>>
>>3210506
Direct rule over numerous city states with their own cultures and individuality would be near impossible.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.