[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into Zoroastrianism but I don't know where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: zoroastrianism04.jpg (90KB, 890x790px) Image search: [Google]
zoroastrianism04.jpg
90KB, 890x790px
I want to get into Zoroastrianism but I don't know where to start.

>Inb4 it's a Persian only religion
Yeah, I could care less.
>>
>>3205876
>I could care less.
KYS
>>
I share the same interest with you anon. Zoroastrianism is one of the few religions ever to real pique my interest amd i'd love to know about it even more.
>>
>>3205876
learn the language
>>
>>3205884
Avestan or Persian?
>>
>>3205891
Both and also gujarati
>>
>>3205880
Kys yourself

Zoroastrianism happened in Central Asia(Oxus civilisation) some even speculate it happened somewhere in Russia (Andronovo)
>>
>>3205949
Now that's news to me
>>
>>3205876
fuck your sister and marry her.
I am not even joking.
>>
>>3207162
Zoroaster was born somewhere in Central Asia but the whole Russian thing is factually bullshit.
>>
>>3207469
I don't have a sister. Will a first cousin do?
>>
>>3205949
Central Asia was Iranian at the time through
>>
>>3209115
>was Iranian
it was Scythian, and Avestan is an Eastern "Iranian" dialect which mean that it is more related to Pashto and Ossetian than Persian.
>>
>>3209106
No, that sounds like heresy.

Instead, sire a daughter with your mother, then wait 20 years and marry your new half-sister-daughter-wife for maximum xwedodah
>>
>>3209159
Your point?
Pashto and Ossetians are Iranian as well.
>>
>>3209183
My point is that Farsis claiming Zoroastrianism as their religion is extremely funny

Especially, because you abandonned it and forced the actual Parsis to flee for their lives to India.
>>
>>3209262
Except that they are not the only Iranian people that claim it as their religion.
>>
>>3209159
>Scythians
Are an Iranian people and according to multiple sources, both from Persians and non-Persians like Greeks and Indians, spoke a mutually intelligeble language. So stop with the bullshit.

>"Iranian"
Putting it in quotations doesn't change anything.
>Pashto and Ossetian
Iranian languages. Spoken by Iranian people.
>>
don't know why 4Chan is so obsessed with it.

I'm Persian, me and every one of my family members look down on it as some backwards hick religion.

Daily reminder that the doctrines of any religion does not necessarily indicate the actions of its practicers.
>b-but it seems so based

so does Christianity if you know nothing about Christians
>>
>>3209592
Fair enough.
I only liked for the aesthetics but I want to know more about it, and probably self convert just for the hell of it.
When in Rome, you know.
>>
>>3209592
That's because you and your family are literal trash.
>>
>>3209262
Except there's zoroastrians still in Iran, even if small in numbers. Last time I checked the amount of zoroastrians in tajikistan and afghanistan was basically 0 (the rest of central asia needs not to apply, being turks).
>>
>>3209592
Literally what did they do to you or your family to have that opinion?
>>
>>3205876
>Yeah, I could care less.
Then please do.
>>
Start off by leaving your dead on a mountain
>>
Get some pine cones.
>>
>>3205876
My recommendations:
1) Richard Foltz's Religions of Iran: From Prehistory to the Present
2) Zarathustra and Zoroastrianism by Michael Stausberg
3) Gathas from the Avesta, avesta.org has a good translation.

I also recommend studying Indo-Iranian polytheism, which form foundation of development of both Hinduism and Zoroastrianism, and Manichaeism (which influenced Mazdak the Younger's reforms).

Be prepared for a somewhat hectic ride. Also, imo, it's true that Zoroastrianism heavily influenced Abrahamic faiths with its introduction of angels/devils, light/dark duality being metaphorical of good/evil dualism, idea of a 'pathway' to afterlife, day of judgement, and much much more (e.g., the word "paradise" has Avestan origins, check its etymology -- it's pairidaeza in Avestan and means "walled garden"). However, I do not believe Zoroastrianism was ever technically monotheistic like Judaism. Ahura Mazda was never omnipotent or all-knowing like YHVH, but there was one interesting "monist" sect called Zurvanism that had Platonic and/or Hindu influences, I believe. I could go more in-depth if need be.

BTW, a fun book with a modern take on Zoroastrianism is Stephen E. Flowers' The Good Religion.
>>
>>3210796
I also recommend you study Roman Mithraism and, let me repeat, Manichaeism.

Also, let me clarify. In Abrahamic faiths, YHVH is responsible for everything, both good and bad. He created Satan to mete judgment on people. However, in Zoroastrianism, Ahura Mazda was not responsible for the creation of Ahriman, and the world was largely created by Ahriman attacking Ahura Mazda out of greed. You'll learn more as you read.

You will read some conflicting opinions from scholars too. I do not like Mary Boyce that much for past history, but she did good anthropological studies of modern Zoroastrians. I agree with Richard Foltz that the modern Zoroastrians largely retained traditions dating to Sassanid era, and what the Achaemenids is largely lost, considering they may have slowly transitioned from a polytheistic Mithraism.
>>
>>3210813
>what the Achaemenids
what the Achaemenids did ritualistically*
>>
>>3210796
You're one in a million, dude, thank you.
>>
>>3210829
NP, also be sure you study Manichaeism, which was a weird fusion of Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, and early Christianity. Cathars, who were persecuted by Catholics, worshiped Manes (also known as Mani), the founder of Manichaeism.
>>
File: IMG_4100.jpg (188KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4100.jpg
188KB, 425x282px
>>3209517
>Scythians are Iranian people

Are Nigerians French by that logic? Scythians and Persians were completely different people especially concerning physical characteristics.
>>
>>3210877
>>
>>3210216

my father grew up in Abadan, said there was a considerable Zartosht population at the time.

They don't believe in burying their dead, so their "graveyards" were just large lots littered with rotting corpses. He said it was disgusting to have to walk by one of their cemeteries, not only because of the sight of dead bodies slowly decomposing or being eaten by vultures, but because of the horrible smell.

He also said that they were very secretive, segregating themselves from the rest of the town, and displaying a general lack of hospitality or manners when it came to meetings. They are very very strict about tradition and reject most new technology.

When it comes down to it, they behave a lot like (((THEM))). A mix of Jews and American Amish really.

While every Persian celebrates a few Zoroastrian holidays, (Nowruz, chahar shambe suri, sezdar bedar etc...), thats mostly just to preserve national identity and tradition. The way that actual Zartoshti practice is much different.

But I suppose it must be said that I actually haven't met any of them, all that I know is coming from my family. My family is mostly atheist or Christian, so there may be some bias.

It must also be noted that in recent years, FOB Irani immigrants (to North America) are a lot more open and knowledgable about Zoroastrianism. Some even claim to be Zartoshti.

This is odd because the first wave of immigrants were mostly Christian/Atheists fleeing the revolution(80s and 90s). The second wave were muslims with lots of money (90s to 2010s). And now the third wave call themselves Zartoshti (C 2014-now).

sorry for the long post, but I figured i'd put everything off the top of my head at once just in case it answers any questions
>>
>>3205876
So you CAN care less?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
>>
>>3211109
Oh, my bad.
>>
>>3209179

She would technically be your 3/4-sister, not half sister, due to possessing 1/4 of your father's genes and 1/2 of your mother's. Or wait, wouldn't she be just your sister, except with slightly more of your mother's genes than your father's, since your genes are just your father and mother's anyway?
>>
>>3211033

All very interesting, thank you for sharing.
>>
>>3211538

Yes, now that I think about it, I must really fix my math there. She would have 1/4 your father's genes and 3/4 your mother's; therefore a full sister AND full daughter.
>>
>>3205876
> I could care less.
>>
>>3210877
Are you mentally handicapped?
>>
>>3211033
>He also said that they were very secretive, segregating themselves from the rest of the town, and displaying a general lack of hospitality or manners when it came to meetings.
Gee, maybe it's the result of hundreds of years of Muslim oppression???
>>
>>3210796
Not him, but what would you recommend reading the sacred texts like the gathas first and then the modern scholars or vice versa? Unlike OP I'm not interested on conversion but in understanding.
>>
>>3210877
>He thinks "Iranian" means Persian
>>
>>3210813
>However, in Zoroastrianism, Ahura Mazda was not responsible for the creation of Ahriman, and the world was largely created by Ahriman attacking Ahura Mazda out of greed.

But wasn't the Ahriman born from Mazda's doubt? Or I'm mixing stuff?
>>
>>3205876
Its not only persian religion
>>
>>3211033
While I understand why would you not want to mix with this kind of fellas in your day to day life, I don't think it's hard to understand them either. Why they're like that.
>>
>>3211549
Praise Ohrmazd!
>>
>wanting to be a piss drinking sister fucker
>>
>>3211033
super interesting man appreciate the time and effort

any other observations about them? how commonplace is it- like would one see these fellas walking down the street? any other obvious cultural legacy? thanks
>>
>>3212514
they weren't oppressed. they did it to themselves.
>>
>>3212645
Maybe since the Pahlavis took over. But before that they were generally the first people to get the boot anytime something bad happened. They were rivalled only by Bahai's.
>>
>>3211033
My mother is from Shiraz. There's a small Zoroastrian Persian community there to this day and they are among the most friendly and polite people in the area. She told me they are quite secretive as well but only out of fear due to how the government likes to find excuses to oppress them.

They stopped open burials and non-cremation funerals decades ago during the first Pahlavi Shah's reign before the British and Russians forced him to abdicate his throne for his son. But never have they been described or seen in Shiraz acting like the Iranian equivalent to the Amish.
>>
>>3214756
Yeah, ignore that idiot.
>>
File: Mendo insults you.png (41KB, 159x239px) Image search: [Google]
Mendo insults you.png
41KB, 159x239px
>>3205876
>I could care less.
Kill yourself, you illiterate idiot.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.