[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think my one biggest problem with the decline of religion is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

I think my one biggest problem with the decline of religion is the death of the monastery. The idea of a community adhering to strict discipline and forsaking worldly desires for the sake of labor and the acquisition of knowledge seems like something society ought to be greatly encouraging, but as it is the only people who do that are soldiers who instead spend their efforts blowing up people they're told to. Those who wish to learn are instead thrown into an environment which actively encourages individualism and luxury, with learning thrust to the side.

Is there any way secular, modern society can bring back monastic living, or is it impossible to do so in a world with capitalism and without religion?
>>
create your own monastery
>>
>>3202880

It is entirely possible to live like a Hellenic cynic but everyone will think you're a crazy hobo.

Although I think the dialogue of Lycinus and the Kynikos should be required reading for every westerner.
>>
>>3202896
I'd join. No matter the religion (expection to Judaism and Islam).
>>
Monasteries are still around, yo.

I mean probably not in burgerland if that's where you're from, but Europe still has a ton of them.
>>
>>3202907
>everyone will think you're a crazy hobo.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.