[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Japan attack the Russian Pacific coast when Germany

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: jp dance.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
jp dance.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Why didn't Japan attack the Russian Pacific coast when Germany launched Barbarossa?
>>
They saw Khalkin Gol and knew it was a bad idea. Plus, they had no men to spare, most were in China or Burma.

One of Japan's smarter moves.
>>
>>3194106
It was already fighting in China and now in SEA against Europe and America. Also a few years prior to ww2 Japan and the USSR had a skirmish around Manchukuo and Japan came out pretty bad so they off out from attacking them again.
>>
>>3194106
Because they got their shit pushed in by the superior Russian warrior.
>>
They didn't have any decent tanks. They were already at that time entrenched in China and the Pacific. The navy's influence was greater than and they didn't support Hokushin-ron (the northern expansion doctrine). The battles of Khalkin Gol showed them that the result wouldn't have been favorable. Russians wouldn't have just rolled over and let it slide. It probably wouldn't have helped the Axis powers, as only a comparatively small number of troops was moved from that area (125k).
>>
File: 1480773387561.png (1MB, 1554x1218px) Image search: [Google]
1480773387561.png
1MB, 1554x1218px
The best they could do is hold Vladivostok and force lend lease shipments going there to take a different route
Germany had a better chance of reaching the heart of Soviet production than they did
>>
>>3194106
They autistically believed that they could avoid a war with Russia if they attacked America.

They just ended up fighting both at the end of the war.
>>
>>3194124
>>3194118
no shit
Japs were outnumbered 10 to 1 in tanks and 2 to 1 in men
and still, they inflicted twice the casulties they sustained

truly, Zhukov's military genius knew no bounds
>>
>>3194106
They did but got BTFO so they were forced to sign a treaty.
>>
>>3194106
>starting a new front in territory you have little to nothing to gain from while fighting in another front and planning to fight a couple of world powers that actually have resources you could use but you must be swift for any hope of true victory against them
>W-why not?

/thread
>>
>>3194106
It's fucking huge and there's no strategic target before thousands of kilometers, only an infinite ocean of nothing inhabited by mosquitoes. Even if there was no defender it's a logistic nightmare for nothing.
Seize Vladivostok and stop here.
>>
>>3194137
If Japan had invaded the Malay Islands at the same time Germany invaded France (while there were presidential elections going on in the US so according to Hitler they wouldn't intervene), wouldn't they've had more hands free to help Germany during Barbarossa?
>>
>>3195973
The Japs were counting on demonstrating their ability to kill 10000s of men to deter future invasion, so I demonstrated my blatant disregard for casualty figures.

t. Zhukov
>>
>>3194106
Russian "pacific coast" was like 2000 miles from where they were.
>>
>>3196555
1. Japan wasn't trying to help Germany. It had its own business.
2. Germany did not tell anyone about Barbarossa, including Japan and Italy.
3. Germany was in fact busy trying to be nice and being an ally to the Soviets, which was a slap in the face to Japan, seeing as there was a lot of tension between Japan and USSR and Japan had attacked (and got BTFO) the Soviets only a little before the M-R pact.
>>
>>3196711
>>3196697
Not to mention Japan's logistics weren't really spectacular, also wasn't the Kwantung army stripped of supplies? So they'd have to weaken either the Chinese or Pacific front?
>The Japanese logistical arrangements seemed to presuppose a short war. A large reserve of fuel was stockpiled for the Fleet, but estimates of how much fuel would actually be used were low by at least a factor of two. Japanese logistics tended to collapse under pressure, as happened both in New Guinea and at Guadalcanal. Even the Centrifugal Offensive was operated on a logistical shoestring
>The shortage of oil was at the foundation of much of Japan's logistical difficulties. When war broke out, the Japanese Navy had managed to stockpile about 6 million tons of oil. This was thought to be sufficient for the first year of war, but consumption greatly exceeded prewar projections. The Army estimated it would require 800,000 tons per year while Navy requirements were estimated at 2.5 million tons per year and civilian requirements at 1.8 million tons per year.
>>
>>3195973
>10 to 1 in tanks
Japan had 73 tanks and 64 tankettes. The USSR had 500-550 tanks. That is not 10 to 1. Not even 5 to 1.
>inflicted twice the casulties they sustained
Even if you take the highest estimated amount of casualties for the Soviets (29000) and the lowest for Japan(17000) the ratio isn't 2:1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Khalkhin_Gol#Soviet_aircraft_losses.5B17.5D
>>
>>3196555
US didn't and wouldn't have intervened as it is. The oil embargoes were already in place due to their Chinese campaign.
>>
>>3196711
>>3196735

Are you guys sure? Not that I disagree, I'd just like to know more about Japans role with/view of Germany since I only know vice versa and Hitler was basically a giant weeb
>>
>>3196777
Just to add to that, the oil embargoes were placed AFTER the Manchurian campaign, so the Japs got greedy, they should have worked towards securing the Russian coast along the Sea of Japan, which once again would have resulted in oil embargoes, but it would have been safer to assault Vladivostok and then dig in, then to wage war against both US and China. Plus they had beef with Russia already, they could have played the victim and complained to the league of nations. If they had communicated with Germany and assaulted that area a week before Barbarossa, they might not even have been perceived as the bad guys, its the evil Germans who are just jumping at the first opportunity to stab Russia in the back while they're preoccupied.
>>
>General A. K. Kazakovtsev, was not confident in his army group's ability to stop an invasion if the Japanese committed to it (at least in 1941–1942), commenting: “If the Japanese enter the war on Hitler’s side… our cause is hopeless.”
>>
>>3196816
You have the strategic mind of a 5 year old.
>>
>>3196873
they could have also moved their capital to manchuria and baited the russians into attacking it which would have forced godzilla to intervene
>>
>>3194106
Mystery. Attack of USSR meant immediate war with USA, but wasnt possible to avoid. I doubt Germany+France+Japan could beat USA+UK+USSR but it was much better option.
>>
>>3194120
>Japan
>fighting Britain and America in summer 1941
>>
>>3194106
Source on this picture?
>>
>>3198169
Movie called Nanjing! Nanjing! Watch that scene on youtube type "dance scene" and name of the movie its awesome
>>
>>3198179
Thanks. This scene is aesthetic af, I'll watch the movie just for that.
>>
Outside of capturing the strategically useless east coast it wouldn't have done anything but make Japanese logistics even worse. Fighting all over the Pacific had stretched Japan's logistics and manpower to the absolute limit.
>>
The japanese army had some problems to deal with the nationalistic army after the same had passed for years of civil wars. Now try imagine they had to handle agaisnt China, Urss e west allies.
>>
>>3196776
I'm not the guy you replied to, but that it's still impressive to see a comparatively underequiped army inflict such casualties against a superior force
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.