[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone recommend me a good translation of Titus Livy's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

File: 20170222184018_1.jpg (344KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170222184018_1.jpg
344KB, 1920x1080px
Can anyone recommend me a good translation of Titus Livy's History of Rome? Are the Penguin translations any good? They seem to be commonly available, and are like fifteen bucks each or so.

What say you? Any good ones out there that are preferably not split up into four separate books to be bought individually?

I want to read more about early Rome, so I'm going to get two of Adrian Goldsworthy's books, The Complete Roman Army and The Punic Wars, so I can read both modern and ancient accounts on Rome's early history.

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>3193135

the history of Rome podcast is the most easily accessible source for a general framework to look into the early Roman history, though it IS very condensed You should listen to it to get a general feel and introduction to the topic then look the particular names and events in it to get in depth.
>>
File: 20161025195325_1.jpg (567KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161025195325_1.jpg
567KB, 1920x1080px
>>3193166
I just found out about it a couple days ago. Going to give it a listen. I just rather read this stuff so I can get as much info as I can [spoiler]So my screenplay/script for a Punic Wars television epic will be as accurate as possible.[/spoiler]

And like you said, it probably condenses stuff a lot. I'd rather have too much info that I can shave the fat off of rather than too little and have nothing to work with.
>>
>>3193191

it does help to look the sources he uses like Livy and Polybius, the later of which is a much better source since he is far more neutral and actually contemporary to the events of the Punic and Macedonian wars, but here, Livy

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Livy/

There are some youtube channels like Historia Civilis and Invicta that make pseudo-documentaries with all the same fluff and give you citations you can go off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOk6ppoQrkw

also if you plan to make a big epic on the punic wars, read Ad Astra.
>>
File: 20170223105523_1.jpg (730KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170223105523_1.jpg
730KB, 1920x1080px
>>3193238
Cool, thanks for the link!

I'll check out Ad Astra and watch those videos. HAve watched them before, but I am still waiting for more.

Thanks dude.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.