[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the best/most valuable provinces of Rome outside of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

What were the best/most valuable provinces of Rome outside of the Italian peninsula?
>>
>>3190952
Egypt
Hispania
Greece
former Carthage
everything else is shit
>>
>>3190952

Asia and Africa were the richest Senatorial ones, while Egypt was the best Imperial.
The ones in the limes of the Rhin, Danube and Syria were very valuable for their legions.
>>
>>3190952
The Mediterranean.

Everything else were conquered to support major Mediterranean cities.
>>
>>3190952
Egypt was the most important by far, obscenely rich and a primary source for food.
Africa and Sicily were strategically important for food supplies and control of the sea.
Noricum, H. Tarraconensis and G. Belgica were important for their minerary resources and ironworks at various points in history.
Dacia of course was a literal goldmine.
The western border provinces were important because they were a close access point to Italy for barbarians.
The east was generally rich, but that's it.
>>
>>3190959
>Syria
>Not top 3 most important province
>>
>>3190952
Egypt and Syria were some of the more valuable provinces within the Empire.
>>
If I recall correctly, Athens was still the most educated and advanced city, second perhaps only to Rome, in terms of philosophy, politics, etc.

Indeed, a number of notable Roman elite studied in Athens as teenagers/young adults, and the schools founded by Plato/Aristotle lasted until well after their deaths.

However, this doesn't necessarily correlate to wealth.
>>
>>3190952
Depends on what year.

If we're saying 210 AD.

>Egypt
>Asia
>Africa
>Syria-Coele
>some of the Gallic provinces

Other provinces were important for their mineral resources but fuck all apart from that. Western provinces outside of Africa tended to be shitty due to the lack of urbanisation, though I would exclude the Gallic and Germanic provinces near the frontiers from that since they were very rich due to all the soldiers' gold floating around in the economy.
>>
Imagine is Pisslam hadn't violently taken over the Middle East bros, still makes me sad.
>>
Did these provinces have representative flags or any other sort of other symbolic identity? Or was that not common for the time?
>>
>>3190952
>Britannia Inferior
Man northeners just can't catch a fucking break can they?
>>
>>3190952
Egypt
Syria
Hispania
>>
>>3190952

The Senatorial ones (and that's why they were senatorial) + Egypt.
>>
>>3190952
When Africa stopped being the grain source for Italy, the Western empire fell.
>>
>>3193639
I wanted to write exactly this
>>
Rome was a Vampire, it didn't have provinces, it had victims that it intended on bleeding forever.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.