[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Baudrillard developed theories in which the excessive, fruitless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: baudrillard.jpg (32KB, 619x424px) Image search: [Google]
baudrillard.jpg
32KB, 619x424px
>Baudrillard developed theories in which the excessive, fruitless search for total knowledge leads almost inevitably to a kind of delusion. In Baudrillard's view, the (human) subject may try to understand the (non-human) object, but because the object can only be understood according to what it signifies (and because the process of signification immediately involves a web of other signs from which it is distinguished) this never produces the desired results. The subject is, rather, seduced (in the original Latin sense, seducere, to lead away) by the object.

I'm not sure if I understand. So trying to understand something on its own terms always ends in failure because things can only be defined by what they are not?
>>
File: deconstruction.jpg (66KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
deconstruction.jpg
66KB, 850x400px
>>3188259
>defined by what they are not?

Or defined by other things, functions, narratives etc.
>>
>>3188259
The assumption here is that "delusion" is inherently bad. Classic will to truth.
>>
>>3188293
What defines those other things though, if not themselves?

Doesn't this sort of thinking require either an infinite number of things defining other things, or a "prime thing" that actually can be understood by itself and supplies the meaning for all other things?
>>
File: HermeneuticCircle.jpg (74KB, 698x528px) Image search: [Google]
HermeneuticCircle.jpg
74KB, 698x528px
>>3188320
This idea is borne out of Heideggers(originally Saussure's)idea of a hermenutic circle.

The idea is that there doesn't exist anything outside of language, and that language is eternally recursive.
>>
>>3188330
Interesting, I'll have to return to this after I've read more. Thank you
>>
>>3188352
No problem m8.
>>
>>3188259
>the object can only be understood according to what it signifies
This always seemed to be rehashed Plato to me.
>>
>>3188259
Reads like a luddite.
>>
>>3188400
Welcome to western philosophy.
>>
>>3188400
He was also like Philip K Dick without the pills.
>>
Here's what I don't get: why are so many right wingers butthurt about this?

This undermines the enlightenment project of the perfectibility of mankind, but every single classical tradition, from Greek Philosophy, to Jesus, to Kong Fuzi emphasized the limits of human knowledge and the folly of thinking you can transparently access 'facts'.'

So why is a return to this awful?
>>
>>3188736
Because the answer that postmodern/poststructuralist philosophers have to it is nihilistic.

You shouldn't be surprised that right-wingers don't like nihilism.
>>
File: IMG_0108.jpg (72KB, 564x763px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0108.jpg
72KB, 564x763px
>>3188765
Nihilism doesn't exist.
>>
File: tacticalbladeofnihilism.png (29KB, 500x464px) Image search: [Google]
tacticalbladeofnihilism.png
29KB, 500x464px
>>3188782
It exists as a disposition.
>>
>>3188765
What's nihilistic about it? The very statement seems to imply that objects possess value, furthmore that it is not possible to view the object in a valueless fashion
>>
>>3188736
The only ones who we frequently rant about are Marcuse, Derrida and Foucault. I've never that many right-wingers whining about Baudrillard, probably because he did a proto-Matrix philosophy ala redpill and is also a almost reactionary nietzchean later in his career.
>>
>>3188259

It means you can never know the thing-in-itself, only the semantic web of meanings you (your culture) have developed relating to it. It's one of those U CANT KNO NUFFIN claims philosophers love to come out with, and like most such it has been hijacked by sophists who use philosophy to attack the scientific empiricism which underlies all of true human knowledge in order to place the inane wafflings of philosophers on the same level as the profound insights of science.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.