[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't Japanese into Christianity? Why has every att

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 25

File: Jesuit and Daimyo.jpg (257KB, 800x663px) Image search: [Google]
Jesuit and Daimyo.jpg
257KB, 800x663px
Why can't Japanese into Christianity? Why has every attempt to Christianize the Japanese failed, even in the modern day? My Japanese teachers are all ex-Mormon missionaries and tell me constantly about the futility of trying to convert them. Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqFYxpPghdo
>>
Because they have superior intelligence
>>
probably because they've been folded a thousand times
>>
wtf dude there were millions of catholic converts in the 16th century
>>
>>3182602
Cause they were fuckin slaughtered bro, they also closed off the country in part to halt christianitys influence.
>>
What is monoculture.
>>
>>3182602
In the days when Jesuits were making a concerted effort to convert Japan, there was a widespread belief that the Emperor was the highest of all gods. Catholics came strolling in and basically said "Our God is above all others" which is an anathema to the shintoism of the time. Hence a very negative reaction and forceful countering by the state.
>>
some people don't like their culture being wiped out
>>
>>3182743
Culture wipe out happens only in select circumstances and you can't really call it culture wipe out you know.
>>
>>3182618
hearty kek
>>
>>3182602
Good. I'd hate to see Christianity eradicate Asian spirituality though the Japanese don't seem spiritual at all. But if they did start pursuing spirituality, I wouldn't want them to pursue Christianity
>>
>>3182602
Because they have they own culture and they didn't lose it.
>inb4 but muh American influence
there is a difference between importing convenient things and changing important aspects of the deep core of culture
>>
>>3182919
>there is a difference between importing convenient things and changing important aspects of the deep core of culture

That happens all the time though. "core" parts of cultre always change all the time.
>>
>>3182931
sure but it's a gradual thing, mass switching religion is something dramatic
>>
>>3183031
And it's happened constantly in history. It's nothing special at all
>>
>>3182602
Because Buddhism is a superior religion in all respects to Christianity.

Christianity can only convert the uncultured swines. In an area where a strong Buddhist culture is present, its almost impossible to convert.

Tibet, Mongolia, China, Japan, Sri Lank, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam etc.

South Korea has a strong Christianity support, but that's mainly due to the Confucian government suppressing Buddhism since Ming dynasty or so.
>>
>>3183067
>South Korea has a strong Christianity support, but that's mainly due to the Confucian government suppressing Buddhism since Ming dynasty or so.

Christianity in SK also became a kind of anti-colonialist force against the Japanese, which is part of why it has a greater impact in Korea.
>>
>>3182602
They're too smart for Christianity
>>
>>3182602
>mormons
>christians
>>
>>3182602
Because Christianity is a farce to justify crimes and hedonism under the premise that anything is forgivable if you say "I believe in Jesus as my personal savior".

Just look at current Japan, they're a lot more civilized, respectful and conservative than the west.
>>
Because Christianity arose in the western tradition and has nothing to do with their cultural past. They only got westernized after WW2 and by that point Christianity had become a farce anyway.
>>
>>3183067
Japan is more shintoist
>>
>>3183122
*Laughs in Nanjing*
>>
File: Truman mason regalia.jpg (88KB, 616x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Truman mason regalia.jpg
88KB, 616x1024px
>>3182602
Because the Americans said so
>>
They are Shinto
>>
>>3182602
catholic missions converted loads of japs before their shogun banned it and massacred missionary priests and catholic japs.
>>
>>3182602
Because they are soulless gooks
>>
>>3182602
They don't want to become another Filipinos
>>
File: greatpyramidcoord2.png (358KB, 539x717px) Image search: [Google]
greatpyramidcoord2.png
358KB, 539x717px
>>3182700
>In the days when Jesuits were making a concerted effort to convert Japan, there was a widespread belief that the Emperor was the highest of all gods.

It's not a belief, it's a fact that the Emperor is a god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4mgZXylbIA
>>
>>3183067
>Buddhism
>superior to anything
yes I'm sure that's the reason why its the #1 religion in India today. Oh wait.
>>
>>3183122
>that anything is forgivable if you say "I believe in Jesus as my personal savior"
Only moronic proddies believe that.
>>
Too high IQ.

Notice how only off-brand Asians like Filipinos and south-Koreans are Christian?
>>
>>3183172
Shinto is a 19th century invention. Japan has traditionally been Buddhist.
>>
>>3183410
Brute force works against pacifism.
>>
>>3183410

Hinduism is uniquely capable of absorbing the doctrines of other religions. What the poster said generally is true though. Keep in mind that much of SE Asia was Hindu before they converted to Buddhism.
>>
>>3182602
Missionaries feared the yellow warrior

Also
>Mormons
>Christians
>>
>>3183067
looks like mostly swine countries to me.
>>
File: Jesus, Laozi, Mencius.jpg (45KB, 623x474px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus, Laozi, Mencius.jpg
45KB, 623x474px
>>3183067
>China
Christianity has a large following in China actually. But then anything that even gets 1% of China automatically has a large following.

It is also heavily syncretized so Christians are still BTFO.
>>
>>3183187
Can you provide actual sources to the claim about the dioceses and the number thingy?
>>
>>3183623
>>3183067

There are more Christians than members of the communist party in China by now. Look it up. It is true.
>>
>>3183601
>Hinduism is uniquely capable of absorbing the doctrines of other religions
So is Shinto, it's basically Buddhism at this point
>>
>>3183067
>vietnam
>strong buddhist culture
>many of its inhabitants were converted the catholicism
>largest catholic population in south east asia after Philippines.
>>
>>3183629
There's more X-religion adherents than members of the CCP in China. Doesn't mean shit.
>>
Watch Silence then reply to this thread.

Japan is a swamp where nothing can grow
>>
>>3183644
Great film
Andrew Garfield is shit though
>>
File: sepukkupepe.jpg (104KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
sepukkupepe.jpg
104KB, 800x800px
on a side note, explain seppuku. how is ritual suicide supposed to be honorable?
>>
>>3183680
It's the ultimate form of taking responsibility and has the added advantage of not wasting everyone's time with court proceedings
>>
>>3183187
woah
>>
>>3183680
Because being caputured is shamful, being exacuted as a criminal is shameful, being expelled from your social position is shameful

and if your family is also going to be punished because of what you did, killing yourself becomes a way of preserving your family's social status
>>
>>3183653
I thought he and Driver did great.

Holy fuck the scene where the Japanese converts were tied to a stake and had waves crash against them was sickening.
>>
File: 2013021301.jpg (31KB, 539x335px) Image search: [Google]
2013021301.jpg
31KB, 539x335px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZXJH4Qe3Zk
>>
Go watch Silence, it does a pretty good job of explaining it. The Japanese have a fundamentally different worldview rooted in materialism. They cannot into an abstract singular God that exists nowhere but everywhere, in the sense the West conceives of it. They just look at the world in too different a way.
>>
They are too intelligent to fall for a Jew cult.
>>
>>3184118
>rooted in materialism

That is a pretty narrow minded description of Japanese spirituality. Perhaps you ment to say shinto does not see the material and the spiritual as separate forces but interlinked ones.

Buddhism would further see various spiritual and material phenomena as mere illusions or manifestations rather than as "real"
>>
>>3182602
The assumption of a missionary is that they can change a society by changing the faith of as many people as they can. What they rarely understand is that a person's faith and spirituality is heavily dominated by their society, and unless every member suddenly converted and agreed to change society to better support their new faith, the momentum of a few conversions just won't compare.

Christians are taught that they converted Rome by being underdogs, by moving the poor and downtrodden with love until they reached critical mass and moved the rest of society by their example to convert as well, but in reality it was the other way around and random conversions were mostly incidental to more important missionary acts - establishing organized communities that could insulate itself from assimilation and suppression.
>>
>>3184129
Buddhism is Indo-European. All higher religions are.
>>
They're too fucking based
>>
>>3182602
>americans
>>
>>3184157
Aside from your conception of religion being stupid. Shintoism was profoundly influenced by Buddhism
>>
>>3184151
To their credit they tried that. The first people missionaries tried to convert were daimyo and they wanted to establish relations with the imperial court before the realized the imperial court held no real power.

They set up port cities and communities in kyushu however since these entities often had strong ties to the countries the missionaries were from, they were not looked on favorably by the central authorities who "suppressed" them
>>
>>3184185
t. Butt blasted subhuman
>>
Missionaries get converts by targeting the disenfranchised looking for something they've been denied by circumstance. In a lot of places this means the poor looking for food and a community to protect and accept them.

But in Japan the disenfranchised want social capital, which Christianity offers very little (it goes further in South Korea, hence the greater number of converts there).
>>
>>3183628
The archdioceses are bullshit but Nagasaki has always been center to Christian faith in Japan, since it was usually the first place western ships reached.
>>
>>3183187
Why did Truman bomb Nagasaki?
Did he fear the Catholic samurai?
>>
They actually got quite a few converts in the 16th and 17th century in Kyushu in particular, but they wound up falling out of favor and the shimabara rebellion morphed into a religious revolt so the Shogunate pretty much pulled a spanish inquisition on them, the few crazy bastards who didnt convert pulled a marranos
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan
>>3184185
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinbutsu-shūgō
they had basically merged and were practiced as one giant syncretic religion until the Meiji restoration forcibly separated the two, even today most Japs will have a Shinto wedding and a Buddhist funeral
>>
>>3183097
Isn't Christianty a colonial infulence itself? I mean it the religon of the Americans who've pretty much taken over SK.
>>
>>3182893
Your understanding of spirituality is entirely colored by your relationship to Christianity. The Japanese are about as religious as the average western pagan was, it is just that that religion, being paganism, does not entail any kind of personal spiritual connection with the divinity, so its members are not immediately recognizable as religious to people immersed in a Christian world view.

The concept of spirituality itself came into the west through the decline of traditional forms of paganism.
>>
christfags were the worst. they literally preached the destruction of japan to the japanese. there were even christfag samurais.
>>
>>3185837

+1
>>
Anybody claiming that it was because of some fault in Christianity's philosophy is ignorant

It's absolutely none but the dutchies' fault. I'm glad global warming is happening because then the fucking weed apes might finally all drown to death
>>
>>3185878
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimabara_Rebellion

Dutchies are an ulcer on Europe's seaboard.
>>
>>3185837
Chirstfag samurais are fun as fuck. They put the Fury in Zen Fury.
>>
File: 1492881360556.gif (613KB, 498x498px) Image search: [Google]
1492881360556.gif
613KB, 498x498px
>>3183431
>south koreans are above japs by 1 IQ point on latest averages
>>
File: warpostcard.jpg (71KB, 400x538px) Image search: [Google]
warpostcard.jpg
71KB, 400x538px
>>3182602
Nippon spirit strong unlike chinese and Korean dog sheep
>>
>>3185944
Lol
http://www.businessinsider.com/herbivore-men-in-japan-are-not-having-sex-8-15
>>
>>3185950
It's the stinky amerifats faulth they forced americanism on Japan and did everything they could to eradicate Shintoism and Japanese Values
>>
>>3183067
>>3184157
Buddhism is the cancer of the world brought on the Orient, Wuzong did nothing wrong
>>
>>3185962
>shintoism
>Sucking on emperor's cock repeatedly is a value
>>
>>3185977
The Emperor is s symbol, a personification of japanese race, descended from the sun.
But it's to esoteric for stinky foreigners to understand
>>
>>3185990
>cucked by his own Vassals
>>
File: 8809da67db8938cb4d05675d6ab4a7f5.jpg (264KB, 1500x843px) Image search: [Google]
8809da67db8938cb4d05675d6ab4a7f5.jpg
264KB, 1500x843px
Don't believe in God
Just live with Gods
>>
>>3186011
So why would you choose Shinto over hundreds of other pantheons?
>>
>>3186006
Kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>3186022
>b-but muh emperor!
>>
>>3186027
t. Cultureless Korean american christfag
>>
>>3186011
>choose Shinto
I choose nothing
I was born in the land of Gods and I'll keep living there
It's a normal thing for me
>>
>>3186054
Sorry this post is for >>3186014
>>
>>3186039
>YANKKK DELET THIS
>>
>>3186054
That's fine by me.
>>
You are only Christian because you were born in a Christian country.
>>
Ancestor worship is common in Japan, and ancestor worship is one of the oldest forms of religious expression, up there with animism.

I think that the Japanese see themselves as having an ethnic religion, and don't want foreign influence.
>>
>>3183557
>japanese native religion has been invented in 19th century

Don't be fucking stupid. They're shinto-budhists.
>>
File: IMG_5455.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5455.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Japanese people love Christianity and have a high respect for Christians. They just don't care to change their traditions. The first English speaking Japanese person I talked to in Tokyo went to a Christian school.

t. Guy who visited Japan 7 months ago
>>
>>3183641
You just got BTFO. Own up to it.
>>
>>3186108
Tell that to the Christians in China, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Malaysia, etc.
>>
>>3186371
I've always thought most of them had a very superficial understanding of Christianity, basically it starting and ending at Catholic aesthetics. Just like with our yuppies and Buddhism.
Then again, my only experience with Japan is from vidya and animays.
>>
>>3186134
Ancestor worship is not in the way of accepted Christianity, the reason Christianity got suppressed during Qing to begin with was because of the Pope saying ancestor and Confucian rites were absolute heresy.

Ironically, China might have been Christian eventually, considering it is very similar to Heaven worship in many cases, just replace Jesus with the Emperor, and the early Jesuits didn't breech the word of Jesus, only God. But Pope has to fuck it up somehow.
>>
>>3183122
Japan elite is christian like our elite is jews.
>>
>>3183680
Read Hegel on self-sacrifice during war. Same thing.
>>
>>3186618
Japan's elite are all actual Shintoists, I thought. Isn't Abe part of some group?
>>
>>3186626
I was talking about the whole honor during war. There's a reason nips are compared with Prussians for their militancy
>>
It's a shame because Japanese Catholicism is aesthetic af
>>
>>3186820

>Theres an alternate universe where japan became fully Christianised and launched autistic crusades throughout east Asia with samurai deus vulting everywhere.

We truly live in the most boring timeline.
>>
>>3186842
Well, at least Shinto is interesting. But what if they had somehow combined Shinto, Buddhism, and Christianity into one monster?
>>
File: 1381105527533.png (142KB, 300x294px) Image search: [Google]
1381105527533.png
142KB, 300x294px
>>3183402
I don't understand the point of this picture, this is pure coincidence.
The metre is completely arbitrary, see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3eHHwcMVcA

A metre was supposed to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the north pole to the equator, but since it was measured at the turn of the 19th century it was slightly inaccurate, and we've just rolled with it since.

(for reference, if you take the original measurement and compare it to what it should be, a metre should have been 1.00019657 meters. So the speed of light would have been 299 851 338 m/s. Making the coincidence only true for the first 3 digits. Sad.)
>>
>>3182602
Hideyoshi and later Iemitsu pretty much instilled a culture of suspicion regarding Christianity. To them, examples like the Philippines showed that Christianity was a tool the western powers would use to try and take control of their country and they wouldn't have that. The Japanese are not a religious people in general; they're a ritualistic people but not religious. If it wasn't banned, Christianity may have succeeded by appealing to their ritualism but I think it would've taken a lot of effort to get the populace genuinely into the Lord.
>>
Perhaps because they realized it is stupid to worship someone else's God? The Japanese were VERY smart to keep Christianity out of their culture since it is a foreign influence and very subversive. I wish us europeans had done the same..
>>
File: image.jpg (334KB, 960x664px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
334KB, 960x664px
>>3187564
They weren't converted because of the traditions in the mass, but because of a genuine belief and zeal in Christ and the churches teachings which is why the mission early on had huge success because the zealous laity actively helped the missionaries spread the faith.
>>
Thank fuck. Korea's Christfaggotry is bad enough.
>>
>>3183410
try harder rakesh
>>
>>3187697
Same. If only the indo-europeans steppeniggers hadn't forced their autistic Odin/Zeus/Wodan powerlevel circlejerk religion on the peaceful neolithic farmers that inhabited Europe and destroyed our original religion.
>>
>>3186820
is takato yamamoto actually christian in any capacity though? it just seems like he likes the imagery of it
>>
>>3185745
Christanity is weird in South Korea. Definitely has to do with it becoming a colony. Christanity got big in China after the Qing political paralysis. We're it not for the war most of the ethnic minorities in southern China would be some form of Christian. But you know, 60 million dead. Just an average Chinese revolt.
>>
>>3182699
this is wrong. japan isn't a monoculture today and was even less so historically.

historically the japanese were extremely open for foreign influence, first chinese then western. why they never adopted christianity is difficult to say but probably shinto being associated with japanese nationalism played a role whereas in korea christianity was associated with resistance against the japanese and korean nationalism and therefore spread more easily.
>>
>>3187697
they sure let buddhism in though
>>
File: J1cNoHw.jpg (247KB, 1272x700px) Image search: [Google]
J1cNoHw.jpg
247KB, 1272x700px
Because the Jew fears the Samurai
>>
>>3183919
>being exacuted as a criminal is shameful
howww this is dream life
>>
>>3186140
Shinto didn't exist pre Meiji.

What existed were collections of various animist/superstitious that differed from places to place with no concrete shared ideology. So "shinto-buddhist" isn't accurate. Its more "Buddhist-indigenous beliefs"
>>
>>3182602

Presumably they refuse to adopt Christianity because they recognise that it is a false teaching. Perhaps the real question is how they were able to universally sniff out bullshit.
>>
File: snapshot20090209142117.jpg (136KB, 704x420px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20090209142117.jpg
136KB, 704x420px
>>3182602
It might have failed as a religion but they sure make cool use of the imagery in their chinese cartoons.
>>
>>3189948
Funny that Oshii is afaik the only one with an actual connection to the faith instead of just an appreciation of the aesthetics
>>
>>3182602
The same reason why the rest of the oriental world can't
>Muh ancestor worship
>>
>>3189825
That is somewhat inaccurate. While Shinto and Buddhism were freely mixed, There were Shinto shrines as well as Buddhist temples and there was no trouble telling them apart.
>>
File: impcults.png (161KB, 708x933px) Image search: [Google]
impcults.png
161KB, 708x933px
>>3187304
>I don't understand the point of this picture, this is pure coincidence.

No it's not coincidence - only a fool would believe that. Pharoah is a god. Jesus is a god. I am a god. Most of the human species is sentenced to soul death and/or damnation for their war against the gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSElBa6oqP0
>>
File: fatesdevi.png (462KB, 514x689px) Image search: [Google]
fatesdevi.png
462KB, 514x689px
>>3187304
>A metre was supposed to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the north pole to the equator, but since it was measured at the turn of the 19th century it was slightly inaccurate, and we've just rolled with it since.

Except a meter is defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum 1/299792458 seconds.

God transcends time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4mgZXylbIA
>>
>>3190403
>Except a meter is defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum 1/299792458 seconds.
Yes, they redefined a meter as that so that it would match the old meter, which was supposed to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the north pole to the equator, but since it was measured at the turn of the 19th century it was slightly inaccurate.
>>
>>3190392
>Japanese Emperors
>660BCE
>Chinese Emperors
>221BCE
>>
>>3182602
nips dont have souls stupid
>>
>>3182602
I mean, it wasn't forced upon them, was it? And they already had a strong national identity and an intentional program to stamp it out very early.
>>
I like fact that Japan reached a point where Shinto, Buddhism, and Christianity all live alongside each other. And even if a lot of the population is secular there's a bit of tradition and stuff still mixed in.
They have saying along the lines of "born Shinto, married Christian, die Buddhist"
>>
>>3185878
you fool, the Dutch are more prepared for it than anyone
>>
>>3189921
Bullshit. Japanese people do not think Christianity isn't true. Most Japanese people do not even know what Christianity is about and just know it by the polite westerners with manners so therefor they appreciate it.
>>
They feared the Japanese warrior.
>>
>>3183644
>>3183653
"It's just a formality "

Love how he always delivered that line.
>>
File: 1492620781292.jpg (48KB, 591x734px) Image search: [Google]
1492620781292.jpg
48KB, 591x734px
>>3186371
>Japanese people love Christianity and have a high respect for Christians

>Christmas is literally "that day we have parties and try to hit on chicks"

hearty fucking kek
>>
>>3193762
i really like this image
>>
because shinto and to a lesser extent buddhism, are so ingrained in japanese culture.

I lived in japan for 6 years and knew a christian japanese person. she went to christian service but still practiced every single little custom that had shinto origins. even went to shinto shrines on holidays and had the ancestor shrine in her house.
>>
>>3193762
Christmans in Japan.
>get your reserved bucket of KFC
>get a bland(by american tastes) cake with some strawberries on it
>exchange a few presents
>drink heavily
>>
Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgDtGMp-_FE&t=3m
>Japanese in general are not attracted to dogma or black and white interpretations of anything

How many Christian cemeteries have you seen in Japan? Even when they're "Christians" they get a Japanese funeral, which means a Mahayana Buddhist funeral.

Born Shinto, marry Christian, die Buddhist.

>>3190386
>There were Shinto shrines
The religion of the shrines goes all the way back to prehistory but is not Shinto, Shinto is a 19th century invention. The shrine doesn't need Shinto, Shinto needs the shrine. Go read A New History of Shinto by Breen and Teeuwen right now.

>>3186905
But it's not a monster nor a new religious movement, it's just an expensive marriage according to multiple rites. The Japanese care about ritual, not dogmata and opinion wars.
>>
>>3193762
>>3193789
But that should be how Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus: The one day of the year where you cut loose and enjoy yourself with your friends and relatives.
>>
>>3183653
agreed, complete hamper on the movie. scorsese fucked up not switching his and drivers roles
>>
>>3193842
It's a known fact that Christmas has pagan roots and Santa Claus is the direct descendent of England's Father Christmas. In a way, Christianity took over pagan festival because it's fascinating and fun. Then why not the Japanese Shinto or whatever spiritual mind do the same thing?
>>
>>3184118
I remember Silence mainly as saying that many Japanese were converted but their own government killed them
>>
>>3193196
>born Shinto, married Christian, die Buddhist"
While I like how it sounds I doubt it.
>>
File: based.jpg (116KB, 1262x938px) Image search: [Google]
based.jpg
116KB, 1262x938px
>>3183644
Really nice movie
Happy end included =)
>>
>>3182602
Good.
I'm glad the japs we're able to keep their customs mostly intact instead of becoming another generic christian country.
>>
File: tfwtoosmartforbronzeagemyths.png (79KB, 372x300px) Image search: [Google]
tfwtoosmartforbronzeagemyths.png
79KB, 372x300px
>>3182602
They are too smart for christshit
>>
>>3183629
>he fell for the 100 million christcucks in China meme

Controversy exists regarding the veracity of estimates published by some sources. For example, Gerda Wielander (2013) has claimed that estimates of the number of Christians in China that have been spread by Western media may have been highly inflated.[5] For instance, according to Asia Harvest, a US non-profit organization and "inter-denominational Christian ministry", there were 105 millions Christians in China in 2011. The compiler of these figures, Paul Hattaway, indicates that his figures are his own estimate, based on more than 2,000 published sources such as Internet reports, journals, and books, as well as interviews with house church leaders.[72] The study points out that “owing to the difficulties of conducting such a [study] in China today – not the least of which is the sheer size of the country – there is [in the study’s rough estimation] a margin of error of 20 percent.”[65] Citing one of the aforementioned surveys, Gerda Wielander says that the actual number of Christians is around 30 million.[5] Similarly, missionary researcher Tony Lambert has highlighted that an estimate of "one hundred million Chinese Christians" was already being spread by American Christian media in 1983, and has been further exaggerated, through a chain of misquotations, in the 2000s.[73] Christopher Marsh (2011) too has been critical of these overestimations.[74]
>>
>>3193985
They already tried with the Japanese Jewish Common Ancestry, but it never got off the ground.
>>
>>3194062
it has to do with the festivals, rituals, and customs.

shinto stuff is still dominant with fertility, babies, and children.

japanese like to do western "christian" weddings. japanese adults live mostly secular lives.

funerals are done mainly in buddhist traditions.
>>
>>3194874
Actually, some Japanese believe Jesus died in Japan. There's the tomb of Jesus in Touhoku area of Japan.

Christ Matsuri Festival Japan Nanyadoyara Dance https://youtu.be/jYWFq2JaWg4
>>
>>3182624
then Rebellion and brutal crushing of the rebellion thanks to Dutch and ieyesu (? or was it his son?).
>>
>>3185950
>posting this on fucking 4chan
>implying the majority of people here aren't like that
>>
>>3193762
There is a difference between respecting a religion/people who follow the religion and celebrating a commercial holiday.

Most people in Japan don't even know the Christian connection to Christmas.

Thanks for sharing your uneducated opinion though, not sit down and let the men, who have actually talked to Japanese people about Christianity, speak.
>>
File: 1497082090454.png (284KB, 495x337px) Image search: [Google]
1497082090454.png
284KB, 495x337px
>>3198834
mind your own business and don't break other population's balls, mormon guy
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.