[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do generations always hate the generations succeeding them, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: mihnl2cfbhjy.jpg (98KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
mihnl2cfbhjy.jpg
98KB, 850x400px
Do generations always hate the generations succeeding them, or do they actually get worse?
>>
>>3181855

false quote.
>>
it seems to be a contemporary meme, but it's definetely a world wide one
>>
>>3182358
Why do people do this
>>
This is a fake quote. Socrates never said that.
And this is not something that happens all the time.

A few comments:

- Athens actually was in decline in the era of Socrates
- This quote was very popular in the late 60's. That generation was a particularly bad one. Chances are, if we are having a lot of people posting this in defense of youth, we have a pretty bad cohort.
>>
Hey, Vsauce - Michael here
*space music plays*
https://youtu.be/LD0x7ho_IYc
>>
>>3182358
>>3183039
I don't know, it kind of rings familiar. Perhaps a paraphrase on Plato's description of democracy in the republic, with some poetic license?
>>
>>3181855

Never fear, OP, I am here with a suitable quote from the ancients!

Book 5 section 7 of Xun Zi, 3rd century BCE Warring States text:

"It is the custom of the anarchic masses of the present day that the "smart" youth of every village are all beautifully elegant and seductively fascinating. They wear striking clothing with effeminate decorations and exhibit the physical desires and bearing of a young girl. Married women once all hoped to get such a man for their husband. Unmarried girls all hope to have one of them as their knight and would even be willing to abandon their father's house so they could elope with him and take the wife's position at his side.

Nonetheless, the average lord would be ashamed to have them as ministers, the average father to have them as sons, and the average man to have them as friends. And no doubt one day they will suddenly be bound and fettered before a magistrate and taken to the large marketplace for execution.

When this happens, they will cry out to Heaven, weeping and wailing, bitterly aggrieved at their present circumstances and regretting too late their past. Their calamity as well resulted not from their manner, but from the fact that their experience was not whole and what they talked about was worthless. In such cases, what should we who follow afterwards depend on!"
>>
File: Marked_Wicked_bible.jpg (39KB, 284x179px) Image search: [Google]
Marked_Wicked_bible.jpg
39KB, 284x179px
I suppose that it's not impossible for one generation to be better than another, but shitting on the new generation and looking back with rose tinted glasses truly are as old as mankind. Here is what George Abbot, the Archbishop of Canterbury, said about a misprint in a run of King James Bibles in 1631.
>I knew the time when great care was had about printing, the Bibles especially, good compositors and the best correctors were gotten being grave and learned men, the paper and the letter rare, and faire every way of the best, but now the paper is nought, the composers boys, and the correctors unlearned.
>>
>>3184191
>>3182358
>>3183039

I found this explanation:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01/misbehaving-children-in-ancient-times/
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.