[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ppl think of 15th~16 century plate armor whenever they think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: tumblr_onyz51GwHx1uc8x6so3_250.png (76KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onyz51GwHx1uc8x6so3_250.png
76KB, 250x187px
>ppl think of 15th~16 century plate armor whenever they think about Knights
>ppl think of Lorica Segmentata whenever think about Romans
Why do ppl do this /his/?
>>
Because they don't know and this is what we show to them most of the time.
You should make videos or accessible books if you think this is a problem
>>
>>3174718
>Lorica Segmentata
Because of Asterix.
>>
File: tumblr_onyz62QYpu1uc8x6so2_250.png (77KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onyz62QYpu1uc8x6so2_250.png
77KB, 250x187px
>>3174869
But I would need sources and I don't even have access to most college libraries n shit.
>>
>>3174718
>>ppl think of Lorica Segmentata whenever think about Romans
But that's fine, it was worn for 250 years, was near standard armour (though never eclipsed mail), and was worn throughout the height and most famous roman period.

I think the 15th-16th century plate armour thing is because by then it was becoming more ornamental and so much more suits survive today, whereas the more typical mail suits and great helm weren't kept in excellent condition in a dry room to be looked at like plate armour was, they just got handed down until destruction.
>>
File: Chateau+castle[1].jpg (46KB, 400x297px) Image search: [Google]
Chateau+castle[1].jpg
46KB, 400x297px
Thanks to fucking Disney, people think of 17th century manor houses as castles.
>>
File: 9386537_1[1].jpg (208KB, 1400x1187px) Image search: [Google]
9386537_1[1].jpg
208KB, 1400x1187px
Thanks to the fantasy genre people think there's some hard line between armored knights and gunpowder weapons even though the two coexisted for a century and a half. While not members of a warrior order, curaissers continued the tradition of armored cavalry straight into Napoleons day!
>>
File: castle.jpg (997KB, 2000x1296px) Image search: [Google]
castle.jpg
997KB, 2000x1296px
>>3175166
I persume neuswanstein castle served as an inspiration, a more recent landmark with a more severe impact on the people's imagination back then
>>
File: 4187690_orig[1].jpg (88KB, 700x456px) Image search: [Google]
4187690_orig[1].jpg
88KB, 700x456px
Thanks to westerns, people think that all Indians were nomadic, teepee dwellers.
>>
>>3175253
So how is that different from a longhouse?
>>
>>3175253
Well frankly those that were encountered in the west pretty much were just that. The civilized settled Indian cultures mostly got wiped out by diseases or whites before the expansion to the west even started.
>>
>>3175187
Straight into the first world war actually.
>>
>>3175253
I think of Mexicans, Mayans or Moche/Nazca, not the steppe niggers of the north.
>>
>>3175333
I can say I think of mailed normans when I think about knights. What YOU think is irrelevant for the subject of the thread.
>>
File: hohokam.jpg (211KB, 800x476px) Image search: [Google]
hohokam.jpg
211KB, 800x476px
>>3175333
>>3175253
>>3175307
There were civlizations between Mexico and the steppe niggers you know.
>>
>>3175373
Who were mostly wiped out by disease is what that other anon said.

I find it hilarious that people today think there were shitloads of natives running around by the time the British got here, and the reason natives aren't around as much anymore is purely because the Brits and French massacred them all the time. Most people I've talked to have no idea what the fuck they are talking about yet have an opinion that is so powerfully engrained that even mentioning that disease did most of the work is like sacrilege
>>
>>3175415
The one on the picture wasn't wiped out by a disease, they abandoned the place because of increasing desertification before the whites even arrived. It's where modern Phoenix is, the existing river canal network is even patterned after the native American one.
>>
File: Steel-body-armor-Soviet-WWII.jpg (140KB, 1500x810px) Image search: [Google]
Steel-body-armor-Soviet-WWII.jpg
140KB, 1500x810px
>>3175187
And not just curaissers. Also combat engineers during the Napoleonic era. Infantry during WWI also used body armor on the Western front.
In fact, historically steel armor was used all the, way to WWII.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.