[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Baby Boomers really worse than other generations, or is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 248
Thread images: 17

File: JYdXdKL.jpg (556KB, 2249x1720px) Image search: [Google]
JYdXdKL.jpg
556KB, 2249x1720px
Are Baby Boomers really worse than other generations, or is it just edgy kids complaining about their parents?
>>
>>3170303

THE FORMER.
>>
>>3170318

HOW IS GENERATIONAL THEORY NOT "HUMANITIES", ACCORDING TO YOU?
>>
>>3170318
how isn't it history?
The generation of 1940-1960 is history, isn't it?
And sure, not all baby boomers are the same, but there might be certain trends within a generation

Also, I would argue this topic is related to Humanities aswell
>>
>>3170303
They're not particularly better or worse. You're just a bitter cunt with no job.
>>
>>3170303
>Boomers
>generation of subhuman hippies spitting on soldiers returning from Vietnam and calling them baby killers
>40 years later when retired they're all Zionist warmongers who shit on millennials for not wanting to wage more wars for Israel
>>
>>3170350
Hippies were in the minority among boomers. Most boomers were just boring working class stiffs. Same way Sjws are generally in the minority today.
>>
>>3170303
Worse. People like to harp on millennials a but don't realize that the millennials learned all the behavior they're being critizced for from somewhere. Boomers raised millennials and passed the problems their generation caused onto us. Literally the greediest, most fiscally irresponsible generation ever. Everything wrong with the world today is literally born out of their generation.

>inb4 bitter millennial

I am kinda bitter. We wasted our nations undisputed wealth on a dick waving contest with a bunch of commie alcoholics. Except when we won we didn't stop wasting money on making our dicks look huge. I'm going to have to pay into social nets that I'll never recieve when older because Boomer leeches will have run it to the ground before I retire.
>>
>>3170375
Yeah ebil boomers will haunt you to your grave.
>leeches
They worked for their pensions. It wasn't granted to them just like that, they earned them fair and square.

What did YOU earn?
>>
>>3170359
No, actually it's a way documented phenomenon. The neocon movement explicitly started when a bunch of trotskyist leftist scumbags suddenly flipped and became raging neoliberals and zionists.
>>
File: 1101670106_400.jpg (49KB, 400x527px) Image search: [Google]
1101670106_400.jpg
49KB, 400x527px
>An indication of the importance put on the impact of the boomer was the selection by TIME magazine of the Baby Boom Generation as its 1966 "Man of the Year." As Claire Raines points out in Beyond Generation X, "never before in history had youth been so idealized as they were at this moment." When Generation X came along it had much to live up to in according to Raines.[38]
>>
>>3170350
no soldier returning from vietnam was ever physically spat upon
>>
>>3170320
& Humanities was a mistake
>>
>>3170303
>It's the boomers fault their grandkids fell for the college meme
>>
>>3170399
A college education gramps. I paid for that shit.

Also, "earned"
>mismanage the program your fathers set up for you.
>oh shit so many people paid into this and we used the money to buy enough nukes to glass the world 3 times over!
>how are we going to pay people?
>lol let the younger generations fill the gaps while we retire. We fucked this thing so hard they'll never see a dime.

Your lying if you think a single millennial will see a social security payment. I'm going to be paying your retirement my whole life you piece of shit and I won't see a dime of what I put in because you and your generation fucked it
>>
Every generation has all kinds of people.

That said, the American Boomers were a particularly awful generation. Drug usage, discard of the sexual morals by hedonism, destruction of marriage, etc. And they passed those morals to future generations.
>>
>>3170303
baby boomers started modern liberalism and other cancerous idealogies like neoconservatism, they are now butthurt conservatives because they were too stupid to realize what they were doing to the country when they were young, as they expected the world to adhere to their beliefs and never take a step further.
>>
>>3170409
A lie
>>
>>3170417
I'm not a boomer, i'm a millenial just like you.
>I paid for that shit.
Good, as you should.
I like how you just casually push the blame on boomers for arms race like they personally waged Cold War against the Soviets.

Seriously stop complaining. If you don't like how your life is going, improve it. But don't blame your parents for your own failures.
>>
>>3170444
I'm not blaming my parents for my failures. I'm blaming them for my country's failures.
>>
I genuinely believe the boomer hatred is a psyop designed to get millennials and gen xers to eventually kill their grandparents ala mao's cultural revolution in the coming years to save the social security system money.
>>
File: 1501398681806.jpg (54KB, 535x462px) Image search: [Google]
1501398681806.jpg
54KB, 535x462px
>>3170447
Then you're an even bigger moron.

Seriously just get a job. Stop leeching off your parents.
>>
>>3170422
can you find any evidence that a soldier was spat upon?
>>
>>3170452
then you're an idiot
>>
>>3170457
I have a job. I'm not leeching of them. And explain how it's wrong to hold boomers accountable for my country's failures? I've only been able to vote for a couple of years, not decades. Your spitting this personal accountability meme like someone as young as me has been voting and deciding who got into elected office for decades
>>
>>3170444
>shilling for the boomers on 4chan
The most pathetic thing I've seen today.
>>
File: 1500107222464.png (271KB, 305x377px) Image search: [Google]
1500107222464.png
271KB, 305x377px
>>3170467
>failures
America is a global power.
America won the Cold War.
America kicks the shit out of anyone who opposes its interests in the world.

"failure"

Stop being so bitter and improve your life. Your parents worked hard so you could shitpost about them on 4chan.
>>3170469
Not shilling though.
>>
>>3170487
Not him, but I think one could make the argument that instead of investing in its children, America used its capital for geopolitical power-play
>>
>>3170498
>investing in its children
But it does.
>America used its capital for geopolitical power-play
And?
>>
>>3170487
And what is America now? A decaying power in a global market clinging onto the last shreds of influence it has. We are the world's laughing stock and our economy is based off of over valued bubbles rather then solid jobs. We could of spent some of that money that we used on nukes to guarantee americas lasting economic prosperity. Now look at us. We will be the fall of The USSR all over again by the end of the century.
>>
>>3170520
>But it does.
Does it though? As far as I am aware, students in America have to pay a lot of money for higher education.
Meanwhile, I can go to University in my country for free
>>
The boomers undid the word of the Greatest Generation by replacing Keynesian with Chicago school economics and putting the oligarchs back into power.

For this they will always be loathed.
>>
>>3170520
Giving your kids enough bombs to end the world 8 times over isn't taking care of them

Christ I bet you think Reagen was the best president ever too
>>
>>3170526
The guy you're replying to is either a troll or so sheltered and filled with r/the_donald's Flavor-Aid that any attempt at argumentation is going to be met with snarky one-liners and "So?"

I'd stop while you still have your blood pressure down.
>>
>>3170534
>shitting on the boomers for literally the only thing they did right

Destroying the USSR with an arms race was a great idea and it's paid huge dividends. Go be a hippie somewhere else.
>>
>>3170524
>And what is America now
The world's largest economy? The world's largest military power?
>>3170526
There's literally nothing wrong in paying for higher education.
>>
>>3170539
We could of done the USSR and the world in with 800 nukes. Why do we need to spend money on an extra 2000 more?
>>
>>3170534
Nukes are a security measure and a reason why others won't fuck with you. You can thank the nukes for not having to die in brutal conventional warfare anymore.
>>
>>3170547
Because if you had 800 nukes they'd build 800 more.
>>
>>3170526
Not him, but...

American education is actually pretty damn subsidized. I'm one semester away from my first degree, and out of pocket I've spent a grand total of $50 on my education, through the help of pell grants and scholarships.
>>
>>3170544
>world's largest economy

For now.

>world's largest military power
Which means less and less as the EU centralizes. We're bleeding money on something that gives us less and less global influence by the year. It will only increase as Trump pushes his proctectionism and continues to alienate allies
>>
>>3170544
The way America pays for higher education is fucked though

>we're free market lol
>but here's some tax breaks for tuition and federally guaranteed student loans because the middle class wants that shit and they vote more than poor people do
>because richfags pay more taxes than poorfags, and spend more money, this means that the federal govenrnment subsidizes richfags more than it does poorfags
>because none of this is based off of merit, middle class babbies use federal bux to go get worthless degrees at diploma mills
>because colleges depend entirely on attracting customers to stay in business, they pander to trends like SJWs and safe spaces, and make the classes as easy as they can
>because the federal government has pumped trillions of dollars into increasing the supply of college degrees, and the demand hasn't kept up, college degrees lose most of their value, and people without college degrees become trapped in poverty
>the generation of arrogant retards that come out of this fucked system proceed to fuck up society as a whole
>>
>>3170570
And this is boomers fault how?
>>
>>3170544
>there's literally nothing wrong with paying for higher education
Then why didn't the boomers do it?
>>
>>3170303
>>>/pol/
>>
>>3170557
So? They'd be dead and we'd be extra dead? We'd both still be dead
>>
>>3170547
>We could of done the USSR and the world in with 800 nukes
>implying 100% warhead reliability
>implying 100% targeting reliability
>implying some of the launch systems won't get nuked
>implying you don't need to expend warheads taking out their silos
>>
>>3170576
The university problem is split between humanities universities squeezing dosh out of idiots with no idea what they want to major in, and STEM/research universities turning into patent and grant sweatshops hanging a carrot made of money over the noses of their thousands of lab donkeys.
>>
>>3170578
Last time I checked, millennials aren't holding the reins of power in government right now. Boomers have made policy decisions for the last few decades. Why not hold them responsible for the policy of the decisions of the people they elected now and in the past?
>>
>>3170581
But they did.
>>3170585
Do you seriously think America would allow itself to lag behind USSR in nuclear stockpile?
>>
>>3170595
This is the kind of shit that happens when you treat education as a product rather than a public service.
>>
>>3170303
several things:
1) it is the largest generation of human beings in history. this generation of ours is smaller than them.
this has several implications which follow
2) the most wasteful generation in history (only in the West) caused from their sheer numbers alone and because post-WWII saw the triumph of consumer capitalism, and this REQUIRED the production an unimaginable waste to feed people's appetites for material objects. The huge increase in material objects sustained (and created) an ideology of materialism linked to emotional fulfillment. Houses and the furniture and appliances to fill them, cars and the gadgets to sustain and enhance them and stable jobs to pay for all this nonsense became the theme of the age. This pattern of consumption had existed since the 19th century but the appetites grew enormously.
3) the ideas and thoughts and beliefs of this largest generation, because of its size and increased longevity, will continue to exert its influence on subsequent generations so long as it lives. I'm not talking about the intellectual ideas produced, but the ideologies of consumerism, hard work, the insistence on unrealistic and unsustainable standards and aspirations that arose in the context of a totally different economic context.
4) their implicit belief that they are a providential, chosen generation who are better than those before and after. see: the idiotic countercultural ideals of the 1960s. the keyword is "counterculture". it didn't seek to correct economic and social injustices (even though these buzzwords and slogans were paid lipservice) but were more about throwing the weight of their numbers around to demoralize their elders and to get into positions of power for themselves. The individualist ideology was never questioned and that is why all the so-called "youth rebellions" and the counterrevolutions launched against it were never sustained cont.
>>
File: 1501421089137.jpg (129KB, 396x364px) Image search: [Google]
1501421089137.jpg
129KB, 396x364px
>>3170598
>hurr its the ebil boomers keeping me down
Then go into politics. Change something. Don't just stand idly and complain.

I swear you can just copy/paste this same victim complex on every other group you dislike, it's so stupid.
>>
>>3170586
Please see >>3170585

Do we need to kill every last Russian? Are reds roaches that will repopulstebthe earth and destroy our freedom
>>
>>3170635
>Then go into politics
Sorry, I don't have millions of dollars on hand, and I don't have the corporate contacts to get millions of dollars to fund my campaign.
>>
>>3170635
>go into politics

I actually plan on that anon. 2018 is still a bit away though
>>
>>3170585
Look up the concepts of counter force and counter value strikes anon. In nuclear warefare the person that strikes first often has the advantage. The more nukes you have over your opponent gives you an advantage.

>Equal nukes (Assuming USSR first strike)
>USSR fires
>Hits military targets to destroy nuclear capability
>US capability is weakened
>USSR can survive the countervalue response
>USSR victory

> USA has more nukes
>USSR knows that they cant damage the USA enough to stop a good countervalue attack
>Nobody gets nuked

This is all simply put though
>>
>>3170643
If trump can become president with a Twitter account surely you can at least become a representative with one
>>
>>3170639
>nuclear war will kill everything

No, it'll just kill a couple hundred million people.

If the world ends, you'll still have to go to work in the morning, and it will be significantly less pleasant to do if the reds have exterminated your country because you lost the nuclear war.

Also, Reagan didn't hike the number of nuclear warheads, Ike did.
>>
>>3170655
Trump started with exponentially more money than me, and got much more as he leeched off his inheritance and enacted his predatory real estate policies. I don't have a billionaire father to do all the heavy lifting for me, and I certainly don't have enough starting money to start overpricing shitty apartments to middle-class people.
>>
>>3170628
the era of mass social movements of the left OR the right were gone. Street politics hasn't existed since the 1930s. this is because
5) the economic and social control exerted by the baby boomers and which they will continue to exert. massively improved communications, improved infrastructure and increase of bureaucracies has made our states the most powerful and all-controlling in history. this eliminates revolt or serious protest of any kind. any protest nowadays is guarded by police and any disorder in a protest crushed by them. the threat of violence eliminated makes mass collective action all but impossible, unless the organs of the state become demoralized in and of themselves, as happened in eastern europe and the ussr in the late 80s/early 90s. Boomers control the state and are on top of the hierarchy everywhere, and they will continue to control it to their dying breath, as medical standards are increasing lifespans and the quality of those life spans (mental acuity of old age will only improve).

in the private sector, Post WWII has seen the rise of the all-powerful corporation alongside the state. they are rivals and partners. corporations seek to bend the state to their will and make it do its bidding. A state with self-esteem in its own power will seek to do the opposite and control corporations as an expression of its power and monopoly of the bounded territory over which it rules. corporations, however, are perhaps more powerful than states nowadays, given their use of the Neoliberal meme to install pliant politicians into positions of power, and get these politicians to open borders to allow them to move their capital and their plants ANYWHERE in the world where its cheap or the return on investment is high. This makes corporations multinational, and multinational corporations can play states against eachother to pursue their own profit motives. cont.
>>
>>3170704
these corporations are something like decentralized, amorphous mercantile empires with no one base of operation but the sum of its many operation chains and corporate bureaucracies scattered in this 3rd world country or that, this international city or that, or this caribbean tax haven or that. They are predatory organisms that feed off the state-system and have transcended it. They are dictatorships in all but name. They are unaccountable, opaque, inscrutable, hierarchical, undemocratic, arbitrary in their employment standards and carry near ultimate disciplinary power over any underling in the company. People live and die as slaves of the corporation. They ruthlessly compete to meet some unknown standards of their higher-ups. In other case, its a nepotistic operation.
>>
>>3170646
What are your positions?
>>
>>3170399
>They worked for their pensions. It wasn't granted to them just like that, they earned them fair and square.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH
you fucking idiot. you realize that no corporations offer pensions anymore? and you know the reason why? Because corporations stopped giving a shit about their workers and started cutting them in the 1970s and never brought them back because it cost too much money. And you call millennials entitled? fuck you you dumb cunt
>>
>>3170762
Promoting more efficient and less overbearing government. I want to run for my state house so there are very few major policy decisions that I can take that will have an actual effect on my district.
>>
File: 20120909.gif (366KB, 612x3658px) Image search: [Google]
20120909.gif
366KB, 612x3658px
>>3170576
>>
>>3170778
>Promoting more efficient and less overbearing government
nice meaningless slogan, what are your positions
>>
>>3170778
Thats pretty broad,anon. Can you elaborate on your positions please?
>>
>>3170452
while you're hypothesis is dumb, i agree there is something contrived about this whole "baby boomer-millennial debate." It came out of fucking nowhere a few years ago (i suppose when "millennials" came of age), and is becoming a kind of artificial divide that in my mind never existed before. I think its just a marketing scheme so that "millennials", in a bid to differentiate themselves from their parents, will latch onto a new set of fashions, attitudes and most importantly consumer items to shill their philosophy, just like their older generation did before them.
>>
>>3170520
>But it does.
you might want to look at american education statistics....
>And?
ok, so now we've established your a willfully blind fool. all you need to do is read a fucking history book or two to understand that the cost of global hegemony has always been neglecting one's own people. Have you ever heard of "guns or butter." Ever realized why the Eastern Empire surpassed the Western part of the Roman Empire? Why Spain became a shithole after spending the sum of its New World gold and silver on endless warfare? Why the Russian Empire stagnated and then collapsed? The cost of military glory and expansion is always decline in your core provinces.
>>
>>3170791

> you're
>>
>>3170444
>Just be successful bro
>Who needs to worry about debt and floundering social programs?
>Who needs basic economics?
>Who needs a job anymore?
>Just try harder and you'll get rich easy dude

Kill yourself
>>
>>3170729
Why can't American state resist thouse international corporations? Why not force them to accept more consumer rights, morker rights?
Kinda like the EU does
>>
>>3170787
>>3170790
1. I live in a really touristy state. Homelessness is a huge problem. The de facto stance to homelessness that many local governments take is that they just straight jail homeless people and sometimes buy them a ticket out of town. They also don't allow private charities to provide food or medical services to them as well as limiting shelters. Now this isn't working and anyone can tell by the still multitudes begging in the streets. It's also really costly. I'd like to allow private organizations like charities and churches to take care of homeless people and make it easier for them to do so as to stop costing tax payer dollars. Local governments can still give bus tickets to them if they want but jailing is a waste of taxpayer dollars.
2. Id like to make blue collar jobs and skilled trades more noted to high schoolers. My state suffers from a lack of skilled workers. Workers that are needed for construction projects in touristy areas. I would like to have some events at schools in my state to bring awareness to skilled trade jobs, the money in them, etc. it might even attract investment from outside if it works in getting kids interested.
3. Work to contrast land development and conservation. Being a tourist driven state, natural resources are important and need to be preserved but at the same time land is still needed as the state is growing.
I'm working on it as I go. I can list a few more later if you'd like.
>>
>>3170827
>expecting grammar on an malawian albino elephant spotting forum
>>
>>3170860
>Forget about [argument], just pick yourself up by your bootstraps
>>
>>3170871
Because mass media has brainwashed a large part of the US population into acting as client mobs for the fortune 500.
>>
>>3170891
So mass media is owned by the large corporations aswell, right?
What about internet then? Getting informations over alternative channels?
>>
>>3170877
Do me a favor and do the following things to urban planning

>create "you niggers are going to have to walk now" zones in the centers of cities
>inside said zones, eliminate minimum parking space requirements in the zoning codes
>make property taxes inversely proportional to floor space/parcel size ratio
>mixed used zoning fucking everywhere
>put in a metro of some kind, be it cable cars or subways
>big-ass, comfy-ass sidewalks

t. /n/ lurker

Also, if you need a policy guy, I've been looking to get into government and I have a ton of spare time to piss away over the next couple months.
>>
>>3170444
Typical idiot selfish boomer shill.
>You don't like X, this means something about you personally and your experiences!
>You dislike Somalia? Obviously you got raped by a Somali and you're just mad.
Boomers and women literally think everything is about them and can't even comprehend that people would be concerned with things they aren't affected by personally. It's like your subhuman brain is wired that way, ME ME ME attitude.
>>
>>3170929
The thing about propaganda is that it doesn't have to completely seal people away from the truth, it just has to displace the truth with lies.

The good news is that less people are relying on cable news for their news, the bad news is that they're replacing it with partisan bubbles like Vox or Breitbart.

Also, the people running this country have gotten very good at distracting people with wedge issues and identity politics

>you want to keep Glass-Steagal? I bet you're one of those faggots who wants men in my little girls bathroom
>you don't support Hillary? You racist cis-white male
>>
>>3170950
Just reading about the Glass-Steagal Act.
Sounds like a really good law to me. Shame you Americans removed it, otherways maybe there wouldn't have been any crisis in 2008
>>
>>3170303
Can it be both?
>>
Yeah they're pretty shit, the worst example was my aunt and uncle. They moved to the US during the 70s and did well there. My uncle worked as an engineer for boeing and my great aunt was a doctor. When they both retired they first moved to Florida until they both hit their 80s and moved back to the Netherlands in the early 2000s. my great uncle died in 2012 at the ripe old age of 93. Just last week my great aunt died at the age of 92.

They lived in a pretty fancy private retirement home with lots of staff (no sitting around in a dirty diaper for them) and lived a pretty luxurious life (vacations every three months etc.). We assumed that they must be pretty loaded. And since my mother was the only heir to their estate we were pretty stoked.

Now comes the twist. We got a call from a former colleague of my great uncle saying that they had nothing but debt and that we should be careful with accepting responsibility for the inheritance. My mother did some checking around and it turns out that they both had extensive medical bills from their time in Florida amounting to more then 750k. They never even made a single payment towards this debt. The reason they even left the US might very well have to do with them trying to escape their medical bills.

They also have a whole load of credit cards that they used to pay for their living expenses and the retirement home in the Netherlands. The total debt of the estate amounts to something in the neighbourhood of 1.5 million euro.

So. Luckily we dodged the bullet with that one. Shame is that some cool furniture, like a umbrella stand made out of an elephants foot, will be lost to the state now since the Dutch IRS has already claimed and sealed their estate.
>>
>>3170871
good question. Trump is entirely bullshitting when he says that nations take advantage of the US. The US keeps world peace not only through the threat and use of force, but because it gives its allies unfettered access to sell things in its gigantic, rich domestic market. It buys other country's loyalty in this way, and the result is that foreign competitors who hone the entire resources of their nations, with government protection, to compete for the American market (for example, Japan in the 1980s, Korean and other Asian products nowadays), thereby putting American firms with no such support out of business. Another facet of this is that the US as hegemon "buys" the support of its allies by providing them military protection. We provide most of the military defense of the Gulf States and a hefty amount for the EU countries and Japan. We have bases to upkeep all over the world. This not only costs a shit ton for the American consumer (though tbf, everyone benefits from world peace) but it also empowers the infamous American military-industrial complex, which builds the arms and supplies that maintain american hegemony. These are international corporations in their own right, and their huge influence in the US government means they get huge subsidies and they use their clout to fill defense contracts all over the world.
Not, more relevant, is that the EU and the US have different traditions. EU countries have always have stronger statist traditions, i.e. deference to the institution of the state to enforce its will and more faith in the ability of the state to create a harmonious society with regulations. This idea has its proponents in the US but the tradition has never been as strong and equally important the tradition has been eroded by an ideological and political attack on the statist tradition for benefit of untethering corporations from regulations that hold back their profits.
cont.
>>
>>3170561
I would disagree entirely. I am also an American student, raised in a solidly middle class family, even in the top 20% of income earners. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean much. My father may have earned about $120,000/yr, but cost of attendance is $60,000/yr for private schools and they will not award need-based aid for a person like me. So I attended a state school, and I'm not complaining. I don't believe private schools would have given me a better education. But the cost of attendance is still $20,000/yr for a state school. That's hard to find out of pocket, especially if your parents just divorced and your father had to get a new house and pay alimony. When I asked my school's financial aid office about what family income qualifies a student for need-based aid, they said you'd have to be earning less than $40,000/yr. Even with a two-income household! That's far from being pretty damn subsidized.

I am very lucky, and very grateful, that I started life with a small sliver spoon. So I get to start my career with $0 in the bank instead of -$30,000 like the average person my age. Even though I got out okay, that doesn't stop me from realizing there is a big problem with the system. I even got a massive scholarship thanks to hard work in high school and barely made it out. The system should not be judged on whether fringe cases like you or me can make it out okay, it should be judged by whether the average student with average academic ability from an average economic background can make it out okay, and the fact of the matter is: they're not.
>>
>>3171168
Jew harder

>go to community college with transfer agreements with the state schools
>get a high enough GPA to get a guaranteed slot
>pay 5k a year for the first two years, 10k a year for the last two
>30k with absolutely no financial aid of any kind
>>
>>3170766
>jobs don't come with pensions
Is America really that bad, even African villages will give pensions to the elders, and they're still cannibals and slavers
>>
>>3170628
>it is the largest generation of human beings in history.

bull fucking shit
>>
>>3171181
>community college
Good idea. More people are picking up on this concept. But it's still not the norm, and high schoolers are not always introduced to this as a possibility. Therefore, you must be either lucky to have good parents or lucky to have good teachers to know about this trick. And unless you live in Tennessee, this still has a cost of several thousand dollars, as you've noted. That's not going to come out of thin air.

>pay 10k for the last two years
Sure, if you're paying for only tuition, not cost of attendance. Implicit in the community college suggestion is to stay with parents, which is fine, and it covers your rent and food. But at a university, you will still pay for room and board, which adds another 10k/yr easily. That's where the 20k/yr figure comes from.

Pell Grants can help cover this. I had a poor girlfriend, raised on food stamps, stayed with her single mom all four years of college and helped raise her younger siblings — she got school free and bought a (used, old) car with her Pell Grant. That's perfectly fine with me. She was smart with her money, and she needed a car to drive to school, making it an educational expense. But another friend I had didn't have quite such an unfortunate background, so didn't get any federal aid. And yet, she was not as fortunate as me with parents who could pay for her school. So she graduated after accruing the normal amount of debt, which is a crippling amount. If you start middle-middle class, higher education can actually set you back further than if you start poor. That's ludicrous, and shows that there are real problems of cost (even if you do everything right, unlikely for an 18 year old) and our definitions of what qualifies as "need."
>>
File: real-house-prices.gif (44KB, 661x511px) Image search: [Google]
real-house-prices.gif
44KB, 661x511px
>the b-b-baby boomers did nothing w-w-wrong!
Spoken like a true idiot.
>>
>>3170303
Baby boomers are worse. Instead of meme answers like "they destroyed our morals" I'll redirect you to real answers:
>voted overwhelmingly for neoliberal economic policies (Reagan), ignoring that we did away with LIBERAL economic policies for a reason
>have so far denied climate change, something that will (if it's real) destroy the earth and (if it's not) use up some money, a big gamble
>reelected Bush after he responded catastrophically poorly to Katrina and after he started a literal hoax war
>failed to do ANYTHING about college costs, from making them all free, to reigning in university spending, to adding more oversight, literally anything
>elected two movie/TV personalities to the presidency within 40 years of each other instead of at least real politicians
>never have I seen a self-reflection "what's wrong with baby boomers" piece, though the negative millennial analysis has risen to meme levels

The personality of the baby boomer is to ignore problems, whether that means to actively deny them or simply to fail to act against them. I do not know what has given their generation such a psychological abnormality. I cannot recall a time or a people in history who have made so little effort to rise to the occasion.
>>
>>3171356
isn't the significant growth in the population the cause of this rather than baby boomers?
>>
>>3171448
That anon isn't pointing out stagnating wages, he's pointing out unnaturally increasing housing prices. Normally a crash would readjust housing prices, but they do not, because baby boomer policies mandate that housing prices continually rise. This does, however, make the barrier to entry for younger folk much higher.
>>
>>3171443
Just curious, who was the other movie/TV personality other than DT? Not an ameriburger.

I agree largely with you, btw. Your country's apparent lack of what it means to provide education - to provide people with a future - makes me kek out loud. What kind of education leaves a young man $100,000 in debt? Probably not even a very good one, most Americans might say. Probably an 'adequate' school. And that's without addressing the real-world fact that it restricts his ability to travel and learn as young people should.

I am probably more conservative in nearly everything, but I cannot abide by not having large (at the very least, large) government subsidy or oversight to bring down the cost to be comparable to other countries.
>>
>>3171515
Ronald Reagan was famous for acting alongside Marilyn Monroe. It added to his "everyman" charm, which basically gave him carte blanche to enact whatever retarded economic policies he wanted.
>>
>>3171252
Are you fucking stupid? Look at a population chart and tell me the period the population jumps from 2 billion to seven billion. Anyway im talking about the wester pop. cohort
>>
>>3171515
The problem isn't government subsidies.

In between tax breaks and federally guaranteed student loans, American education is hugely subsidized.

It's that the subsidies are intended first and foremost to benefit corporate interests, win middle class voters, and appear to be "free market"
>>
>>3170791
>It came out of fucking nowhere a few years ago
Wrong
>>
>>3171199
Well theres social security but youd be poor if you lived off that. Also im not saying to anyone that individual shouldnt save but corporations have increasingly shunted financial risks onto their enployees if not mismanaged their savings through the plabs offered
>>
>>3171660
When did it come about theb? How can millennials have been blaned before they cane of age? Or are you talking about the alarmism that arose that parents were spoiling millennials cause everyine got trophies in preschool abd are spoiled brats?
>>
>>3170303
Millennials are already well on their way to ruining life for future generations with a particularly insane brand of progressivism. They might have a right to complain about the present situation but not act like saintly victims.
>>
>>3170877
I lived in San Francisco. Shelters/services don't do jack shit, it only incentivizes bums to continue being bums. It seems like your town has the right idea: send them somewhere else, arrest them, etc., or force them into mandatory rehabilitation.

Giving them blankets and food just brings more of them
>>
>>3171067
Your great aunt was born in 1925, and uncle in 1919, they aren't baby boomers. Baby boomers were born after the war.
>>
>>3171443
Baby Boomers literally don't care about climate change. They'll all be dead by the time it turns the world into a hellhole.
>>
>>3170462
>>3170409
This, lots of soldiers claim they were spat on but none of these claims surfaced until after "they spit on veterans!!" memes began to surface in the 80s.
>>
>>3170303
Started Social welfare ponzi scheme to make later generations pay for their hedonism

Overwhelmingly draft dodgers in Viet war (applies to america alone)

Voted for increasingly stupider politicians

Degenerate

Give me yous for "reddit spacing" thx
>>
>>3170628
Good post anon.
>>
>>3171735
Millenials barely have their foot in the door. We're not talking about rhetoric, we're talking about actual impact and the situation each was put in. Baby Boomers entered life in more favorable conditions (wages, economic growth, housing prices, education prices, living expenses, employment opportunities, commodity prices) than millenials. Meanwhile, millennials have had a very limited effect on politics and policy (though a decent effect on culture) whereas baby boomers are directly responsible for modern economic and social policy.
You're blaming millenials for something they haven't even done yet because they have the audacity to vocally defend themselves from the tone-deaf rhetoric coming out of the mouths of baby-boomers.
>>
>>3170303
>take out a gigantic fucking loan
>use it to study a field that can't pay off the loan quickly
>complain about old people when you're asked to repay your loan
God, I hate people my age.
>>
>>3172926
>draft dodgers in Viet war
this is a meme
WW2 had more/higher percentage of draft dodgers and WW1 had even more.
>>
>>3171753
I hold that view for a few reasons anon. One is that I lgetinately view all the tax dollars spent on that as wasteful especially since it really doesn't work. I see homeless people every where. Also my state house district is red and religious as fuck. Government won't let churches feed and take care of the poor? That shit writes itself with a crowd like that
>>
>>3172973
>since it really doesn't work. I see homeless people every where

It's cheaper putting their asses in homes than paying for all their ER visits, arrests, mental institutionalization, and security to keep them out of nice places.
>>
>>3172982
I know it is. Hence why the jailing thing is really a bad use of tax dollars
>>
>>3171753
>send them somewhere else, arrest them, etc.
But thats expensive as fuck, much more expensive then operating a few shelters
>>
>>3170877
Do you live in Arizona? Reminds me of Flagstaff
place is a shithole tbqh
>>
>>3170444
>I'm not old, I'm hip like you
>I like the rap music
>That's why when I say something you can trust it
>>
both are to blame

If after millenials hit 18 they told themselves"ok my parents and teachers were full of shit and lying to me, I have to figure out how the world really works and not le edgy theories, a realistic and practical view" they wouldn't fare too badly, however humans are flawed, it is a pipe dream to expect the majority of humans to be this competent, it would have been easier if they were embued with the values of the greatest generation, unfortunately these were tossed out with the bathwater because apparently 50s America was a horrorshow and their good wholesome values were a part of all its ills.
>>
>>3173003
I live in FL, the carpetbagger capital of the world
>>
>>3173003
>Flagstaff
Tucson has the same problem, and Denver too. Basically wherever the liberals take over the place becomes a shithole.
>>
It's just an excuse.

Baby boomers aren't even peoples parents anymore, they're just old people in their retirement. My dad is a baby boomer but he had me at 40, most peoples parents had them younger.

They did live in easier and more prosperous times where things were cheaper but somehow blaming them for all the problems of today makes no sense.

Not that there are much problems today in the west, like i don't understand it, even a college graduate with debt lives a good life, probably has a decent apartment, a modern phone and computer, has a good social life and money to buy things they want, and all it costs them is a typical 40 hour per week job. Yes, wage slavery and all that, but those boomers also worked the same hours.

Basically people have good lives today but like to complain endlessly because they're super entitled.
>>
>>3170303
A lot of baby boomers are certainly spoiled and can't see past their own noses. I think it's just based on good ol' classic lack of understanding. I mean, they do what humans always do: apply their own experience to others, especially what they assume is their own in-group, on the assumption that they more or less have the same experiences. Since baby boomers profited from an economic sweet spot, they can't understand how they world that looks so similar is quite different.

My parents are baby boomers, but since I am not American and they both grew up working class, I don't think they have too unrealistic expectations about the youth of today. They realize it's different.

YMMV.
>>
>>3170303
Baby boomers can buy a comfortable house and pay them without ever going to college in less than 5 years under normal circumstances. This includes 2 cars, large car garage, backyard, spouse + 2-3 children all before they're 25.

They had everything handed to them. They wonder why the millennials can't afford to buy a house like they did. Or why millenials don't get married and have children by the time they hit 25.

If you're having a child by the before you're 25 today, you best have some stable >60K income. You might be able to afford a house with that in certain cities, but certainly not in any of the major cities like LA/Seattle/NY. That is literal "poverty" level in those place. Barely enough to rent 1-2 bedroom.
>>
>>3173130
>even a college graduate with debt lives a good life, probably has a decent apartment
Speak for yourself anon. In some places, the housing and rental markets are through the fucking roof. In my hometown (where I don't live anymore, but plenty of friends in this boat) it is not possible to buy the simplest duplex row house under 1000 square feet for under 1 million dollars. Rentals prices are ridiculous, almost everyone I know spends over 50% on their apartment rents. When you're 28 and have 30k in student debt, what are you supposed to do?

And while our parents (my dad was also 40 when I was born) worked similar hours, the purchasing parity was far better. That's the whole point. Average wages have grown much slower than inflation. Our parents could easily afford cars and down payments on houses and shit, with reasonable mortgages (my parents had 200,000 in 1981 money, about 550k today). My dad's college tuition in the mid-1960s was 500. My parents also paid for private daycare and educational kindergarten for me and my two sisters. My mom was a low-paid secretary and my dad a chemical engineer doing some mid-level management shit.
>>
>>3170303
Yes
>>
>>3173210
well I immigrated from a shithole at 14 so i guess my perspective is different.

People in the west live like kings, but they don't realise. You don't even realise in much of the world there isnt even plaster on the walls and everything is dirty inside.
>>
>>3173210
>college tuition in mid-1960s was 500
>CPI inflation equates that 500 to 4,100 dollars now
Was that yearly for 500? Because a normal college/university right now costs 5000 per year. If you use CPI + university/healthcare costs, 500 is just about the same amount as now, IIRC.
>>
>>3170350
>generation of subhuman hippies spitting on soldiers returning from Vietnam and calling them baby killers
Is that so bad if it's true?
>>
>>3173347
its quite disrespectful.
>>
>>3170303
Boomers are born into: A world where Western Countries are literally the nicest places to live in the history of the world.

Boomers die in: A world where their countries have been sold off to the third world, their neighborhoods are filled with sullen wogs, and their descendants have to work several times as hard to even have a hope at getting what the Boomers had handed to them.

Gee I don't know. I think 2 and 2 can be put together here.
>>
>>3173353
Worse than killing babies?
>>
>>3173374
not every US soldier was involved in a massacre like muy lai.
plus, you have to consider the fact that most of these hippies are upper middle class kids who skipped around the draft by being in college and university
>>
File: The Thinking Bait.png (26KB, 527x409px) Image search: [Google]
The Thinking Bait.png
26KB, 527x409px
>>3170409
>>
>>3173382
Good, that means less americans got sent to kill babies
>>
The problem with the boomers (in America, at least) is that they grew up in fucking Candy Land. After WW2, an entire generation of men gained access not only to higher education, but to a huge number of good manufacturing jobs. Why? Because New Deal legislation was still largely intact and because most of the rest of the industrialized world (large swathes of Europe and Japan) was either bombed to hell, depopulated, under Soviet control, or broke as fuck, or all of the above. It was a bubble like nothing seen before or since, and as a result the boomers were able to live incredibly lavish, wasteful lifestyles without worrying about the consequences. They gave us no-fault divorce, mass immigration from the third world, the wasteland that is suburbia, and all that free love and drugs bullshit.
>>
>>3173374
yes
those soldiers have mothers and fathers and friends too
they went through a hell of a lot more than some draft dodger who read about his superior sense of "empathy" in a political cartoon
>>
>>3170399
Companies don't offer pensions anymore, you can't even get that crap working for the government unless you're an actual elite or a pig (supposedly.) Worse, it's basically impossible to have a lifelong career at one place. Things have accelerated too fast. One day, you're the boss' favorite employee. Next, you're replaced due to 'restructuring'.

This happened here with a radio station. About 80% of employees were fired because the cheap fucks decided to centralize everything, meaning all the writing and the picking and the choosing is now somewhere across the fucking country, while the few remaining employees either sucked a few dicks or are just there to speak the script.
Sure, it's cost-efficient, but it's scummy. It's a recent phenomenon and it's absolutely monopolizing. This same company owns every FM station in the area, and fired just as many people in those cities too.
>>
>>3170655
Trump is one of the richest men alive. Meaning, he is free to tweet while most people work.

No, not only do politicians have to be full-time politicians (meaning, they have to quit their job). No, they have to suck dick on every trendy social media site too, or they're 'out of the times'.
>>
>>3171344
Community college is only viable for manual labour.
>>
You think boomers didn't have it easy? My grandfather became an engineer with a 10th grade education. Fucker didn't even know algebra until they forced him to get an education twenty damn years into his work. I fell for the same meme, but had to go to university for four years, and even then I had to do more to get a job. Now, I'm hearing about kids unable to even fucking get into a welding apprenticeship without a 12th grade education, some college education, and so on. What's left? Shoveling horse shit and breaking your back.
>>
>>3173071
>muh pragmatism
Eat shit, dicklick.
>>
>>3170871
Because the multinationals own politicians. Via campaign contributions and quid pro quo (COUGH* CLINTON FOUNDATION *COUGH).

You can also look into (((who))) finances everything...
>>
>>3170399
Where's my pension you old shit?
>>
>>3173413
>Things have accelerated too fast.
And with automation and advanced AI just around the corner, its going to get even faster.
>>
>>3171023
There could have been. The FHA pretty much forced (or subsidized depending on your view, but the banks who didn't take the subsidy would shoot themsoeves in the foot) banks to give shit loans to people who they knew couldn't afford houses. This was under the guise of "ending house discrimination". I shit you not. In the days before this policy, you HAD to put down 20% down. This kept home prices (somewhat) down. There's much more to this. Glass-Steagal repeal accelerated the correction.

BUT WHAT DID WE LEARN CHILDREN??

NOTHING. YOU CAN STILL BUY A HOUSE IF YOU DONT HAVE 20% TO PUT DOWN ON IT. GUESS WHAT?!! YOU HAVE TO PAY PMI. What's that? INSURANCE YOU PAY TO THE BANK TO PROTECT AGAINST YOU MORTAGE DEFAULTING EVEN THOUGH THE GOV PROVIDES SUBSIDIES THROUGH BAILOUTS AND TAX DEDUCTIONS FOR THOSE THAT FOLLOW THE PROGRAM.

I HAVEN'G EVEN GOTTEN TO THE FED'S ROLE IN THIS FUCKERY...
>>
>>3173459
And they'll complain about youths being unable to find stable work even more. Why not work manual labour? Because a fucking robot with functionally unlimited endurance and 100 times my strength can do the work for no pay beyond initial purchase or mortgage. Because a house can be 3D printed. Because the population has tripled since and every labor job still taking humans is filled with complacent illegals.

Work at a till? It's already being automated. Farming? You better have a agriculture degree, a dozen different licenses for every new tool plus a decade of experience with them (even the brand-new ones), just to pick fucking corn. Soon, this will also be automated, as will the rest of the associated labor. Goodbye possibility of regular pay, hello prostitution and odd jobs!
>>
Setting different generations against each other is one of capitalism's many divide and conquer strategies.
>>
>>3173482
No joke man. Why do retards still LARP as worked over iterations of 19th century memes when all of that shit is going to be rendered irrelevant? People say that new jobs will be created, but they don't realize that you just can't have 7 billion+ people be robot technicians or computer engineers.
>>
File: 1501375588963.png (523KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1501375588963.png
523KB, 1200x800px
>>3173482
Kek, so true

The future looks like shit. Maybe embracing the NEET lifestyle and renouncing society isn't that bad after all
>>
>>3173502
New jobs, as far as I can tell, are mostly about turning people into servants and luxury producers. The former will be janitors, maids, cooks, gardeners etc. and the latter are craftsmen and entertainers who create unique hand-made items for rich people and perform to keep commoners happy. Think of it as civilisation going back to the social structure of antiquity, where former wage laborers become pseudo-slaves.
>>
>>3173576
Yeah the porn/prostitution age hasn't even truly began.

Human beings aren't human anymore but disposable products
>>
>>3170529
But anon Keynseian economics was designed as a solution to bust, it was never meant to be a long term system, it incrntivized hyper-consumption with the plan for the future being "who gives a shit we'll be dead anyway".
>>
>>3173396
>new deal policies were availible nearly 20 fucking years after they were cancelled and this helped boomers
(You)
>>
File: nuke frog.gif (2MB, 695x392px) Image search: [Google]
nuke frog.gif
2MB, 695x392px
>>3173576
How nightmarish.
>>
>>3170487
And yet our fiscal situation is worse than Russia's despite them "losing". Their standard of living is closer to ours now than it was during the height of the Soviet Union's power. Did we win? Glad we have bragging rights even if nothing practical came of it
>>
>>3173703
Wanna add more to the nightmare?

>over 9000 Pajeets will keep moving non stop to the western countries taking the remaining jobs and creating saturation
>the Pajeet fabric will keep making them
>several lands/countries where you could maybe develop and create jobs (even for westerners) will be kept undeveloped by the global corporations
>those people will try to move as well, only adding to the mix
>farmers and other people in the countryside, now without a job will be forced into the cities like already happens
>resources more expensive
>mass poverty and unemployment will be GLOBAL in a never seen before level
>the world will be literally controlled by corporations
>if this collapses, it will be even for the worse

Fuck this gay Earth
>>
File: 1499793322035.png (157KB, 253x374px) Image search: [Google]
1499793322035.png
157KB, 253x374px
>>3173728
Don't forget surgically inserted ID chips being mandatory for having a job.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31042477
>>
>>3172971
Student loan debt is the least important criticism of boomers since it's almost entirely within students' control. The problem is not that we're not being subsidized, but the fact that boomers grew up in good times and were heavily subsidized and we're left with the residual problems of that with none of the benefits they had. The work environment is worse in almost every way and things like universities have been getting less and less government funding and higher tuition. The majority of expenses used to be paid by state governments if I remember correctly. In summary there's a higher barrier to entry for our economy and it's a smaller payoff when you get there.
>>
Service(slave) jobs are the future in industrial countries
>>
>>3170402
What does that have to do with what the guy you're responding to said? The fact is, he's right. The hippies were a small minority in the 60s/70s. As for the neocons, they were an even smaller, tiny minority - just a handful of people who were politically influential. You can't make generalizations about what boomers are like based on what hippies and neocons are like. The majority of boomers were not hippies or neocons.
>>
>>3170350
>40 years later when retired they're all Zionist warmongers who shit on millennials for not wanting to wage more wars for Israel
Huh? No. Boomers are pretty split when it comes to Israel.
>>
>>3170766
How does corporations not offering pensions any more make boomer pensions any less earned?
>>
>dad enters pension soon and will receive 1.4k pension per month (no private funds)
>tfw I earn much more than my dad and my pension will be 1k per month at best
Just kill me already.
>>
>>3170780
kek
>>
>>3170303
Baby boomer are about as bad as anyone else, and their kids are neither better nor worse.
Old fucks hating on the new generation and viceversa goes back to the dawn of mankind, and anyone who insists on one being better than the other ought to be slapped like the perspectiveless little bitch they are.
>>
>>3173882
Don't forget 40-50 years of inflation, wage stagnation and surging prices before you retire.
>>
>back then tap water was virtually for free
>we also didn't have to bother with water processing, we could just dump sewage into the rivers and lakes
>nowadays there is bureaucracy and regulations and everything, even water got expensive
>everything was better back then
Boomers in a nutshell.
>>
>>3170303
Neither, it's actually edgy kids complaining about their GRANDparents.
>>
if you really want to get a job and a uni degree
do it through the military, ez

>no job
guaranteed job (enforced)
>can't pay
it's free and they'll pay it for you
>>
>>3174581
>dude just join the military!

Holy shit, dude. Have you got any idea about the bullshit many vets are forced to go through to get ANY benefits from ruining their lives for America? It's difficult to even call it a gamble!
>>
>>3173728
Global warming is going to make that even worse, as droughts and heat waves worsen in the third world. Millions will have to choose between immigrating and dying in their own homes.
>>
>>3170303
The Boomers and Silents are self-absorbed and narcissistic. They grew up and came of age in easier times (the post-World War II boom period) and started their families and made their money during another (the '80s). Their parents, those who lived through the Depression and World War II, valued self-sacrifice and hard work and their children thus began to value the complete opposite becoming a Me Generation focused on their own desires and mindless narcissism over everything else. To give an example, there's a reason why activities like nudism and swinging are done almost exclusively by those 50 and up.
>>
>boomers will die in your lifetime
Feels good.
>>
>>3173875
I'm not denying that, but they need to stop pretending that what they earned in pensions was a result of their working harder than people today, and not corporate policies that were more favorable to their workers which arose because of whatever reason (workers' movements, counteracting spread of communism, enlightened capitalism etc. etc.)
>>
>>3173689
the GI bill was basically the New Deal except limited to returning soldiers from WWII. Also some New Deal legislation like Glass-Steagall lasted for decades.
>>
>>3170780
This, at my old school they raised rates and dramatically increased class sizes. But would not stop bragging about the new dorm's hot tubs.

When confronted by this apparent miss management they counter that these new amenities were required to keep the college competitive, as they needed to attract new students.

We use to fight MIT and Cal Tech in global competitions, with good odds of winning. Now we don't even enter as such road trips and challenge events are too expansive. But Hey we got new full time sushi chief we can brag about. And that crazy math professor who insisted people "Truly understand arthritic*" well he's gone now which was for the best as new student didn't like his hard class.

I use to brag about how many astronauts came from out school, but now I don't even wear my class ring in public as it turned into a joke.

*way harder then you think it is, as 1+1=2 has centuries of complex history.
>>
>>3174913
What school?
>>
>>3174788
Uh, they are going to drag the entire human race down into their death spiral, you watch! It's already happening with health care and will start to taint every aspect of life on earth for the next 30 years.
>>
>>3170418
>drug use
>hedonism
>desecration of the institution of marriage
Millennials do this to the most extreme degree. Boomers look like reactionary traditionalists when compared to the behavior of the gen Xer and millenial.
>>
>>3175110
Where/from who do you think they learned it?
>>
>>3173639
Keynesianism is meant long-term, it's just that people skip the "pay your dues when you are booming so the next bust doesn't hit as hard" step.
>>
>>3175110
the verdicts still out imo, but a telling sign is that millennials are having way less sex and sexual partners than boomers did at their age.
>>
>>3170452
> gen X'ers
Fuck off. We want no part of that generational warfare shit. We're too busy trying to figure out what do to make it through the next 2000/2007.
>>
>>3170303
Boomers had their own problems:

-- getting sent to Vietnam
-- decline of labor unions and imports killing industrial jobs, making downward pressure on all wages (only getting worse for gen x and y)
-- speculation making runaway inflation of housing costs (ditto for gen x and y)
>>
>>3170303
Every generation has annoying ideas that are completely detached from reality. The baby boomers just have the luxuary of currently being able to reap the benefits of their generations work while the younger generations have to take the consequences.
>>
>>3175110
>Millennials do this to the most extreme degree
This is objectively wrong. Drug use, premarital sex, teen pregnancy are all down
>>
>>3175256
Starting in the early 80s, sex without condoms, and sex in general, took a steep dive when AIDS came along.
>>
>>3175592
>Drug use is down
Idk, the Xanax/downer epidemic is still raging through high schools here on the East Coast
>>
>>3173245
I got it wrong. I asked him today and he said it was in fact $300 and some change per year, including residence. He was a chemical engineer and worked in various chem factories (mostly DuPont owned) over the summer breaks, which funded his entire school year, tuition, books, food, etc.
>>
>>3173413
Like fighting for crumbs, because those radio stations will be out of business in 20 years or so.
>>
>>3173435
Well, once we crush those pinko unions, and close the borders, all that lettuce and avocado won't pick itself. There'll be plenty of native peons to work the fields. Until the agricultural fields dry up and go dust bowl.
>>
>>3173709
Russia is a basket case. The middle class has grown, but if you're not connected to the mafia-oligarchy by at least a couple degrees of separation, then your life is pretty bleak.
>>
File: Drug Use Across Generations.png (118KB, 800x2215px) Image search: [Google]
Drug Use Across Generations.png
118KB, 800x2215px
>>3175110
>drug use
See graph. Granted, it looks like millennials are consuming more drugs than Gen X in general. But the only drug group of which millennials consume more over boomers, painkillers, is also the only drug group of which Gen Xers consumed more over boomers. In other words, there has been a general cross-generational upward trend in painkillers. Perhaps you could blame millennials for not reversing that trend, but you could not attribute that trend to them entirely.

>hedonism
What did he mean by this? If you mean drugs, see above. If you mean there is more premarital sex, that is not true (Source: http://time.com/3846289/boomers-generations-millennials-sex-sex-trends-sexual-partners/). Millennials are the first generation for which we have statistics to have less sex than the generation before them. If you're equating hedonism with not working, that's also untrue. Though youth unemployment is higher than average unemployment, that's always true. The Millennials that do have jobs report working longer than 40 hours per week (Source, pages 5-7: http://www.manpowergroup.com/wps/wcm/connect/660ebf65-144c-489e-975c-9f838294c237/MillennialsPaper1_2020Vision_lo.pdf?MOD=AJPERES). Many also work two jobs. Forgive the cheesy format of that source, but see the data collection methodology on on page 18 to verify its accuracy. If you mean anything by hedonism beyond that, you'll have to specify what you mean.

>desecration of the institution of marriage
For general trends about millennials and their ideas on marriage, see this source: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/03/09/for-millennials-parenthood-trumps-marriage/. It has three pages. Millennials are more open about gay marriage, non-married cohabiting, dual-income, and mixed race households. They are also more open to single parent households, but that may be because 37% of millennials grew up in single parents households whereas only 17% of boomers grew up in single parent households.
>>
File: franco.jpg (94KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
franco.jpg
94KB, 1920x1080px
>>3173476
Who knew flipping interest rates and injecting $1.4 trillion of QE would be bad for the economy?
>>
>>3172961
Your reading comprehension sucks ass.
>>
>>3173476
You may not have been implying this, so please ignore if that was the case. The FHA, while a contributor to the housing crises, was not the major reason for it. The housing bubble also occurred in other countries like Japan and England with no such laws.

Banks pumping money into a housing bubble due to historically low interest rates for extended periods of time (Federal Reserve fuckery, if you prefer) remains the primary motivator for the housing bubble. But you can't even point the ultimate finger at the Fed, because no one forced those banks to participate in a volatile market. They voluntarily chose to do so, much like many other investors.

Hell, wouldn't you or I do the same if we knew the US government would be forced to bail you out unless the entire financial sector go belly up?
>>
>>3175889
Or the exorbitant costs of the US standard of living leads to more R&D investment into robots with cameras that just pick it those avocados and lettuce instead.
>>
>>3175256
His was before millennials though, gen xers also had more sex according to statistics
>>
>>3175889
>unions
>pinko
Kys. Unions were vocally anti commie in the cold war
>>
>>3175889
>crush those pinko unions
If you're talking about banning the free association of workers to organize, strike, and collectively bargain, count me out. I'm not voting for telling other American's who they can and can't speak to.
>>
>>3176388
I hate unions more for proliferating organized crime and purposefully creating delays and unneccesary costs.
>>
>>3173396
You know, I never thought about the boomers of Europe (Was there a post-war baby boom in Europe?). What was it like for a Frenchman born in '48 to grow up in the ruins of a war ravished country, heir to a dying empire?
>>
>>3176537
>le unions cause organized crime
So businesses can exploit workers and do other criminal things but, hey, theyre job creators, right?!
>>
>>3176537
> Organized crime
Due in no small part to threats and application of violence from owners in times past, but ultimately self-defeating on the part of the workers.

> Purposefully creating delays and unnecessary costs
Avoid the need to organize in the first place by providing direct and visible benefits to employees when the company does well, to foster the idea that the company is a ship that both the owners and staff depend upon.

Much like a team sport, coaches cannot force players to play for them, but players must also realize that if they don't put in the work to win enough games, eventually there won't be a team at all.
>>
>>3170417
oh boy what are you talking about?

>live the easyest comfiest life ever
>nesting well into our 30s
>turn out little spoiled bitches
>hurr durr the world is so hard moms and pops made it hard for us
>>
>>3170359
No, most boomers embraced the self-centrism without the pretensions to peace, love, and harmony.
>>
>>3178094
Hello, gramps. Taken your meds yet?
>>
>>3178150
go to bed kid
>>
>>3170303
By nearly all measures baby boomers grew up in a time of unprecedented prosperity, innovation, and growth, as well as other hugely impactful things like ideological wars and great shifts in how society was structured.

Their ideologies and beliefs about the world were undoubtedly shaped by those many factors and they are clearly different because of them.

Though whether they are "better" or "worse" is a value judgement which depends on the your personal opinions and I can't answer that.
>>
>>3172897
So you don't think there was ever instances where soldiers coming back from Vietnam were spat on? I mean what makes more sense? That it literally never happened or that it did happen but was likely overblown at the same time?
>>
>>3179082
then why was it never documented and no one ever said it happened to them until the 1980s?
>>
>>3175012
Yale
>>
>>3178788
They voted prosperity for themsleves and fuck all for everyone else, its not just "well they grew up in it" no. They reaped the benefit of socialist programs enacted by FDR and Ike and then voted them out after they began to earn money under reagan and bush sr.

Now even the most conservative boomer hates universal healthcare will go all the way to marx if you dare privatize his own healthcare.

Its capitalism for everyone but socialism for me attitude,
>>
>>3179665
>we don't have money to afford competition
>yale
pick one
>>
>>3173386
Can you find a single contemporary source of a soldier being spat upon when he returned home from Vietnam? To my knowledge none exist and this story was invented much later. Though it is true that many Vietnam veterans were not well received when they returned home, it was a very polarized time in America. But as I said I don't think anyone was ever physically spat on.
>>
My dad was a mediocre drag racer in the 70s, and my mom worked in a call center. Both of them were from poor backgrounds, but still made enough money to:
1. Buy a house
2. Invest in pensions
3. Travel Europe (from US)
4. Earn Associate's degrees (no loans)

Only when my dad started work as a police officer in Del Ray (by walking in and being super nice to the head officer of the department) and my mom promoted to manager did they decide to have a kid.
>>
>>3170452
This
>>
>>3179668
>It's capitalism for everyone but socialism for me attitude

This. Boomers vote for this shit system to spite supposed welfare queens while being literal welfare queens themselves via social security.
>>
>>3180723
Boomers didn't implement SS you faggot. Their grandparents did.
>>
>Boomers sabotaged the greatest generation through their hippy bullshit and then went full neocon through retirement to sabotage the millennials
They truly are the most entitled group
>>
>>3173347
But it wasn't, that's the hilarious thing. If anything that label would've been more relevant to the "greatest generation" but communist propaganda is a nasty drug.
>>
>>3173382
>not every US soldier was involved in a massacre like muy lai.
lol the leader of that unit said every American unit had their own muy lai in response to getting convicted. In truth they were singled out.
>>
>>3180844
>convicted war criminal as your source on military ethics

questionable logic, frankly
>>
>>3180291
>by walking in and being super nice to the head officer of the department
If you're dealing with boomers or even gen X'ers in job searching as a millennial, a firm handshake and being not socially retarded will impress them enough because many think you're just some social media addicted kid who can't socialize with strangers.
>>
>grew up in a highly regulated and highly taxed country.
>proceed to deregulate, cut taxes, and free trade everything

>Gen X much smaller than Boomers
>Millenials only bigger than boomers because of illegal immigration from hispanic countries. thanks to boomer era governments giving amnesty and not securing the border.

millenials are the first generation in the history the country that will be poorer than previous generations.
>>
>>3180874
oh.

GenX is going to continue to be irrelevant. as they are not large enough. their period of being in power till be marked with serving only the interest of the boomers and millenials.
>>
>>3180853
Everyone ignored what the South Koreans did and they had a much worse track record in terms of human rights than almost any other army in country. They committed multiple massacres as bad if not worse than My Lai and nothing happened to them. My Lai soldiers just got caught.
>>
>>3176379
>>3176388
It was a joke playing on neo-con wet dreams, you numbskulls.

Unions were anti-commie because they were viewed with suspicion for their association to 'socialism', so their 'patriotism' had to be even louder. Anyway, I don't need a lecture about labour union history. My mother (now retired) was her local president for nearly 25 years.

Though I do think there are better ways to organize worker and management relations and stewardship.
>>
>>3176641
>b-but m-muh trickle downs!
>>
>>3179663
Vietnam ended in '75, so we're talking a 5 year interval. Vietnam was not a popular war, and vets (even draftees) were blamed for it, for enlisting in general, or for not draft dodging, for every massacre, for all the imperialist (which certainly did exist) overtones, etc.

It wasn't like Iraq/Afghanistan with yellow ribbons and SUPPURT DA TROOOOPS! Vietnam vets got no respect. If some got spat on, who would they tell? Would give a fuck? The attitude was "yea, well, so what, you deserve that."
>>
>>3179082
not that anon, i find it funny you latch onto a potentially fictional if not rare event as though this is the "gotcha" moment that is some profound symbol of the age. All it is is a projection of your insecurity onto the past desu, the worst kind of presentism.
>>
>>3179665
good. you liberal elitist snobs need to be put in your place desu
>>
>>3180903
That's because nobody cares about yellow people killing yellow people.

Americans instinctively hold white people to a higher standard.
>>
>>3180820
still doesn't make his argument wrong
>>
>>3181799
>better ways to organize worker and management relations and stewardship.
elaborate
>>
I really don't get how you can have a grudge against an entire generation of people. I know people have a tendency to stereotype, but this isn't even like race or religion, most people have boomers and millennials in their family. Do the people who engage in these generation meme wars just hate their families or what?
>>
>>3180903
They were fighting tooth and nail for their own goddamn lives, in their own land, plus real genuine Chinese reds were involved in Korea.

It's funny, because most Viet absolutely hated the Chinese. They accepted aid 'cause why not, guns and tech and shit, but Hanoi was more Moscow aligned and Maoists resented that. Relations soured further in '68 after the Soviet intervention in Czechoslovakia, when China pointed and said "SEE!". Hanoi shrugged and remained pro-Moscow, and in retaliation, the Chinese eventually armed and funded the Khmer Rouge to pester the Vietnamese. The Viets finally got annoyed enough to topple the KR regime, which pissed off China enough to briefly invade Vietnam too.

Anyway, just goes to show that not all reds were alike, and the Western powers could've played their cards better for classic divide and conquer. Too bad for domino theory and Cold War orthodoxy.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (19KB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
19KB, 190x200px
>>3175592
>premartial sex is down
Thats just because Chad now get's all the teen pussy instead off it being more equally distributed
>>
>>3170402
This is interesting theory. Could you give source?
>>
File: 1500361118652s.jpg (4KB, 108x125px) Image search: [Google]
1500361118652s.jpg
4KB, 108x125px
>>3170409
>>
>>3181945
In short, I think the German model of work council and co-determination is best. Unions are sort of less relevant and can even be side-stepped if workers get a representative seat on a company's board of directors, or at least a vote on who is on such a board. The problem with unions is that they and management are set up as two 'adversarial' bodies with very different goals. And of course there is some concern about Union self-interest...

The main benefit is that a company is less likely to make egregious decisions in the first place since workers are represented at the very top. The two 'sides' must cooperate at all times and both have their hands on the wheel at the same time.
>>
>>3181996
QUIET GOY! Mods, mods, delete this post!
>>
>>3170303
> worse than other generations
no their parents ruined the world with the worst war in human history
> or is it just edgy kids complaining about their parents
hell no, fuck boomers too

and here is the redpill. the next generation will hate our generation too and with good reason as well, such is the way of life
>>
>>3181869
I'm not saying it's a gotcha thing. I'm just saying that it likely did happen to an extent even if it's not like people try to portray it as with groups of hippies waiting at airports to spit on Jimmy Marine as he wheels himself across the tarmac.
>>
>>3182057
it's actually because rates of erectile dysfunction in 16-24 year old's have gone up by like 400 percent
>>
>>3182652
So it's basically thanks to porn?
>>
>>3182720
actually, yes. people think teenagers having access to free porn makes them have more sex but really it's the opposite
>>
>>3182652
It's probably because both depression and antidepressants cause erectile dysfunction and they're much more depressed.

t. 22 year old with anejaculation
Thread posts: 248
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.