[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck did currency start? Did someone go around and just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: coino.jpg (41KB, 635x315px) Image search: [Google]
coino.jpg
41KB, 635x315px
How the fuck did currency start?

Did someone go around and just start saying "use these coins, it'll be a great idea I promise" or what? I can't imagine an easy way to move from bartering items of relative value to the idea of a currency.
>>
>>3170205
>you can melt it
>everybody thinks the metal has value cause you can make jewelry with it
>it does perish with time
>>
>>3170205
money cowry
>>
People used clumps of metal for trade for centuries, at some in the 6-7th century BC point states in Aegean started to pay their expenses (mostly mercenaries) with pre-weighted clumps, and they started to put stamps on them to prove the quality and the weight. Early coins were used the same way you would use any piece of metal - you would weight them to make a payment, they even cut them in pieces to balance scales.
>>
joos
>>
>>3170205

The earliest coins were made of electrum, and in part they may have been an attempt to control the wild fluctuations in value that have always plagued specie-based currencies.
>>
>>3170205
I'm speculating entirely here, but it probably started off as a way of going

>Instead of having to get out scales and weighing the amount of gold/silver/copper/whatever we're trading, we'll stamp a coin, and every coin will be the exact same size so you KNOW it's one weight unit of whatever metal.
>>
You realize how much a pain in the ass barter trading is compared to a universal currency, right?
>>
>>3170205
at times specific goods are still used as a currency if they are something that has a convenient and stable value and many people have use for them.

these evolve into money when someone trustworthy starts representing them with non-valuable stuff for convenience.
>>
>>3170205

The earliest Roman coins were cubes, but that didn't catch on.
>>
>>3170205
Metal is worth the most because of how much effort it takes
Ancient kings had metal goods lying around
They'd give people tripods cups and other things
A coin is merely a chopped up rod
Seriously just read Vergil and all will be explained
>>
>>3170244
lydians
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.