[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why didn't Homer show his heroes feasting on fish? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: homer-9342775-1-402.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
homer-9342775-1-402.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
So why didn't Homer show his heroes feasting on fish? The issue seems to have been so controversial that Plato felt compelled to speculate (his theory was that fish was considered too luxurious and aristocratic, for those curious)
>>
Could just be a coincidence. How many feasts did he depict in his work? How often is fish served?
>>
Plato had autism.
>>
>>3167406
Plato BTFO
>>
>country with ton of coastline and coastal cities and coastal colonies
>fish is luxurious and aristocratic
what did he mean by this
>>
>>3167402
There are no fish feasts in the Iliad, and the single eating of fish in the Odyssey is qualified with the line "for they were on the verge of starvation"

In "Homer and the Little Fishes" (1922) Max Radin discusses in depth the quality of freshwater fish in Smyrna, where Homer might have been from, and speculates that Homer might have hated seafood from having grown up there. "Heroes and Fish in Homer" (Berdowski, 2008) makes the argument that taming the sea was a novel industry at the time and the fishmongers represented an encorachment on Aechean agricultural industry and tradition.
>>
why didnt Homer showed his heros pissing? Why didn't he show them selling grain-stock, or levying troops before going off to war? Why didn't he be more detailed and accurate about battle formations instead of having battles be about two conflicting mobs facing off with some heros rampaging through and beating the shit out of a lot of people? Because that's some boring ass shit. Heros are all aristocrats in Homers' poems. They eat the best food fit for aristocrats. I dont even recall where in Plato's work where he questioned why Homer didn't include eating fish, which were probably a poor man's food compared to cattle. Also, I don't know Greek, or Homeric Greek, but it could just be that the words for fish and certain fishes didn't fit into the verses he used for dining or for feasts, or weren't 'poetic' enough.

Also do consider that the palatial economic residue that's in the type of societies in Homer's poems: we know from Linear B tablets and records that cattle and other livestock where recorded and were somewhat under the authority and digression of trade in polities with palatial elites, which Homer's heros mostly are. Around his time, a lot of them probably owned herds and it was ingrained into their minds about their commodity and value. I imagine back then some aristocrat who owned a large herd would be considered top-shit in his society because it wouldn't be easy to accumulate that much as a simple yeomen or layman. However, with fishermen, there's a component that even the more poor ones can find luck and catch a bunch of fish and become wealthy, and they were probably more independent from palatial economies and probably lived in neighboring coastal fishery villages that accepted their authority but weren't under the economic authority of them. So the aristocratic class might've not respected them, and thus, their image and status wouldn't be worth incorporating into your poems if you're a traveling bard whose customers are primarily them.
>>
>>3167397
Interesting question, I have heard moderns say that the Mycenaeans didn't like fish, and that they haven't found any fish-hooks or evidence of fish consumption at Mycenaean sites. Not really my period of study, though. I want to say there's a fragment about Philoctetes being butt-hurt about being abandoned on an island and having to eat fish, but maybe I'm thinking of something else.
>>
>>3167785
>Why didn't he be more detailed and accurate about battle formations instead of having battles be about two conflicting mobs facing off with some heros rampaging through and beating the shit out of a lot of people?

Is this a chariots thread now?

>250 replies and 60 image replies omitted
>>
>>3167804
I thought it was because he had to hunt birds and fish because the island he was on was just too shitty to grow any crop or support any wild game like deer.
>>
>>3167818
Or the fact that he was abandoned on an island. I think everyone would be pretty angry in that situation.
>>
>>3167397
I imagine fish was a peasant's dish.
>>
>>3168307
Due to overfishing it was at one point more expensive than pork or lamb (because they could only be caught far from the coast) and served at the tables of the wealthy more than anything
>>
Illyad is a pissing contest between Gods.

Gods prefer lambs and oxes sacrificed, not puny fish/
>>
>>3167785
>two conflicting mobs facing off
That's pretty much how Bronze Age Greeks fought
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.