[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why things commonly associated to the middle ages came from France?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.png (35KB, 150x230px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
35KB, 150x230px
Why things commonly associated to the middle ages came from France?
Gothic architecture, chivalry, chanson de geste, crusades, all seem to pretty much linked to France.
Why the middle ages aren't associated with the free cities of Italy or hanseatic league?
>>
>>3164144
Because Media is based around English history and the English spent the whole Middle Ages wishing it could be France, and then failing spectacularly.
>>
>>3164174
That's actually a fair point. Obviously, England evolved around the french sphere of influence, thus the english point of view is centered on France, and it's the same for Americans.
>>
Your observation is right for the High Middle Ages, but I would say the Late Middle Ages are associated more with Northen Italy, Renaissance being quite a localized cultural movement originally.
But yeah, I noticed it too when I tried to find some relative recent book with a narrative history of HRE in 900-1400.
>>
>>3164144
Because the history of the HRE is too complex for Hollywood to understand
>>
>>3164144
Because Middle Age and European Feudalism are French products

Antiquity = Greek Civilization
Middle Age = French Civilization
Renaissance = Italian Civilization
Modern times = Germanic Civilization
>>
>>3164994
>Renaissance = Italian Civilization
Italy is a modern state created in 1861. That shit never existed in the Middle Age.
>>
>>3164144
France was the military and cultural powerhouse of Europe during the Middle Ages, particulalry thanks to the degree of centralisation it progressively managed to achieve, which paves the way for safe movement of people, merchs and ideas within the Kingdom, and from there all over Europe
>>
>>3164144
I'd say that the reception of the Middle Ages is actually more diverse and not linked to France in particular. France is just the single largest and most simple entitiy on a national level to understand from a modern perspective. You have lots of land, a king and his knights, and that's about it (Contrary to Italy, Spain or the HRE with its complex hierarchy and countless entities). Also not being bombed to shit helps a lot, because like Italy, Germany actually did a great job at preserving authentic Medieval cities at a large scale.
>>
>>3165160
The Italian peninsula existed long before the middle ages, retard.
>>
>>3165211
Actually you're right. Sorry sir.
>>
>>3165211
The Italian peninsular only emerged during WW1 retard
>>
>>3165496
That explains why people couldn't get to Sardinia before that.
>>
>>3165503
Well of course not.
Besides, even if Italy was around earlier, do you seriously think that people who couldn't even read could build boats and get there?
>>
>>3165525
Makes sense, how are you going to build a boat without reading a manual on how to how to build boats first?
>>
File: 524ef8cf848b57b08376898e015f27ef.jpg (250KB, 1163x1139px) Image search: [Google]
524ef8cf848b57b08376898e015f27ef.jpg
250KB, 1163x1139px
The Renaissance emerged completely in the HRE
>>
OP you are talking specifically about the High Middle Ages (1000 AD - 1300 AD) and the reason it's so focused on France is because most of the surviving sources on Western Europe at that time are French. France was the center of Western European culture in the High Middle Ages (as far as we can tell). They were home to hundreds of Monasteries, there are thousands of surviving documents from this period authored by French monks, priests, abbots, etc. Much more than any other country. Oh there are still lots of English, Spanish, and German texts to be sure, but France has more than all of them put together. It paints a very clear picture of cultural dominance. Also the fact that France was so tightly bound to the Papacy during this time, a legacy from the Early Middle Ages to be sure.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.