[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did traders and explorers communicate with other cultures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: HP_Filmstrip_Family_02.jpg (63KB, 700x447px) Image search: [Google]
HP_Filmstrip_Family_02.jpg
63KB, 700x447px
How did traders and explorers communicate with other cultures back before there was easy access to learning any language? Did most educated people speak latin or greek?
>>
>>3161273
Trade languages.

And intrepreters.
>>
I know that when the Portuguese first came into India they communicated using arab, that was kind of a lingua franca in that region in the 1500s.

But about when they and the spanish first came to America I have no idea, besides knowing that some native women married the spanish and became guides and translators for them.
>>
File: Trp-Sword-14226124129-v06.png (16KB, 220x306px) Image search: [Google]
Trp-Sword-14226124129-v06.png
16KB, 220x306px
>>3161273
Like stated before, common languages have existed since we learned to write things down. Back then though people tended to communicate a bit more with this. It accurately conveyed all of your desires and intention no matter what language you spoke.
>>
>>3161273
>The Carthaginians tell us that they trade with a race of men who live in a part of Libya beyond the Pillars of Herakles. On reaching this country, they unload their goods, arrange them tidily along the beach, and then, returning to their boats, raise a smoke. Seeing the smoke, the natives come down to the beach, place on the ground a certain quantity of gold in exchange for the goods, and go off again to a distance. The Carthaginians then come ashore and take a look at the gold; and if they think it presents a fair price for their wares, they collect it and go away; if, on the other hand, it seems too little, they go back aboard and wait, and the natives come and add to the gold until they are satisfied. There is perfect honesty on both sides; the Carthaginians never touch the gold until it equals in value what they have offered for sale, and the natives never touch the goods until the gold has been taken away.
—Herodotus of Halicarnassus, [12]
>>
They would find interpreters and leave a bunch of expendable apprentices behind to learn the language and meet them again when they return. These apprentices could then become merchants that specialize in 1 trade route like Turkey traders.
>>
>>3161412
>There is perfect honesty on both sides
must have been pretty far north
>>
File: Pedicaba that guy.png (137KB, 359x843px) Image search: [Google]
Pedicaba that guy.png
137KB, 359x843px
>>3161412
>romans annihilated these honest merchants

Disgusting.
>>
>>3161412
Why did Carthaginians mix with Iberians and Sards but avoided even just meeting negroes?
>>
>>3161412
>Be Carthaginian
>usually set up several emporiums and cities in every region you trade with
>go to West Africa
>avoid coming out of the ship to meet the natives

F A T H E R O F L I E S
>>
>>3161412
That tale is actually a mythological trope that Herodotus passed off as history.

Y'see, incomunicability, to ancient Greeks, was something that could happen for real only between a man and a god. Having merchants trade with far-off natives that take and give without being seen is just a way to "humanised" it.
>>
>>3161448
We'll never have an honest merchant again. Fucking Romans
>>
>>3161273
Get a few locals to join you. You can point at stuff and just repeat it until they do. Form a kind of pidgin language that bridges yours with theirs. If they stick with your voyage, eventually they will catch on. Return back to the native land and you got yourself a full fledged translator. Not full proof but I'm sure it worked. Some people had crazy ass lives thanks to being transported around the world.
>>
>>3162716
>>
>>3162721
Was hasekura the original founder of Nazism?????????
>>
>>3161309
>I know that when the Portuguese first came into India they communicated using arab

[citation needed]
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.