[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Swastikas in medieval Irish works of art

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: buddha.jpg (132KB, 631x700px) Image search: [Google]
buddha.jpg
132KB, 631x700px
What's up with this, figure shown is the Oseberg ''Buddha'' that was taken by the Norse, it is of Irish design and has swastikas, figure is actually believed to be the Celtic god Cernunnos but as far as we know Ireland didn't have any contact with India.
>>
>>3159129
Most be ridiculously old. Most Irish metal working and knotwork art from the Viking Age and long before, is far more complicated than that

Can you give me a link lad?
>>
>>3159129
Isnt swastikas also depicted in most ancient european cultures as well as india and asia? often representing the sun if i remember correctly
>>
>>3159181

Yes it's an OLD symbol. Nothing to do with Hinduism.
>>
The Buddha says he had previous incarnations and that he didn't create a new religion, but only restored an old one. The Mahayana tradition says that there are infinite Buddhas, and a new one always appears when the dharma is forgotten. Caesar said that the druids believed in reincarnation and had something like a cast system. Really makes you think.
>>
>>3159129

>as far as we know Ireland didn't have any contact with India.

As far west as Ireland and far east as India there is a shared origin of Indo-European culture. The swastika is one of the oldest religious symbols on earth, the earliest dating from Mesolithic Ukraine, carved into mammoth ivory. It is near Ukraine that archaeologists believe the 'Indo-European' language/material culture emerged and spread.

The Celtic culture which was introduced to Ireland is descended from the proto-celtic, and before that indo-european that branched off into proto-celtic/slavic/germanic/italic/helenic/indo-aryan.
>>
>>3159226
>>3159129

Also Buddhism has its origins in Vedic (indo-aryan) Hinduism, which has many similarities with the pagan religions that spread into Europe. They both believed in reincarnation and a caste system.
>>
>>3159263

No the caste system is an Indian innovation and became more rigid over time.
>>
>>3159275
IE had a division pretty a religious class, warrior/ruler class, and an economic class. It wasn't necessarily a caste system, but there was a division
>>
>>3159129
>>3159181
Swastika is just the fucking sun. It's everywhere. Saying something with a swastika is nazi, buddhist, hindu or whatever is as stupid as believing than anything with a cross is christian.
>>
>>3159275
Iranians had a caste system as well. Call it what you want but celts had a strict class division determined by bloodline.
>>
>>3159287

Occupations don't equal hereditary castes.
At the end of the day everyone was descended from warrior-kings because of the highly patriarchal nature of PIE culture and many generations of plural marriage.
>>
>>3159129
The swastika is a very basic symbol that anybody trying to come up with symbols is bound to draw sooner or later, regardless of whether they've ever seen a swastika elsewhere.
>>
File: IMG_2713.jpg (347KB, 1863x1242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2713.jpg
347KB, 1863x1242px
>>
File: IMG_2713.jpg (68KB, 722x481px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2713.jpg
68KB, 722x481px
>>3159851
>>
>Irish swastika thread
>I´m Irish how do I become Indian thread
Is that you Paddy?
>>
>>3159323
Occupations did back then, even in Greek society.
>>
>>3160367

Greek society doesn't matter. Fundamentally different from steppe PIE.

PIE societies were so patriarchal that the kingline replaced all other paternal lines every few generations so occupations weren't dictated by family history as that was always royal anyway.
>>
>>3160397
>Mention an Indo-European culture
THAT DOESN'T MATTER

So I shouldn't mentioned early northern Indiana society, Celtic society, etc since even though they all followed this early on, they aren't applicable because you don't agree with it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.