[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone recommend some good books for starting to learn about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Can anyone recommend some good books for starting to learn about Chinese history? I'm most interested in learning about the republic period but I also understand it's difficult to do so without having a lot of knowledge of how it was prior to that.
>>
The Search for Modern China by Jonathan D. Spence
>>
>>3157501
Thank you so much! I just ordered this
>>
File: Map_of_Northern_Expedition.png (82KB, 926x1199px) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Northern_Expedition.png
82KB, 926x1199px
>>3157526
No problem senpai.

China has a fascinating history. That book itself doesn't go super in-depth but it's useful for covering a large portion of history until near contemporary era and is well written.

I'll get shit for this, but if you go on the AskHistorians subreddit the sidebar has a large list of books vetted by scholars and historians, you'll find a large list of ones on the various eras if you want to go further in a specific era or study.
>>
>>3157476
Ah yes, the "Republic."
>>
>>3157582
>anyone wanting to learn about a period in a nation's history blindly worships it
>>
>>3157606
That's exactly what /his/ is
>>
File: 1491966569432.png (3MB, 2080x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1491966569432.png
3MB, 2080x1300px
>>3157476
>>
>>3157606
I was simply making fun of the Republican Period m8 easy with your trigger-finger.
>>
>>3158914
Muh books
>>
"From Yao to Mao: 5000 years of Chinese history" by Kenneth J. Hammond is fantastic.
>>
File: 084.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
084.png
298KB, 600x512px
>>3159576
>>
>>3159976
/pol/ distain for people who get their infomation from sources that are not poorly made infographics.
>>
>>3160120
>muh /pol/, /pol/, /pol/....
Oh, fuck off. This is /his/ not /pol/, if you want to argue with them so much just go there and stay there.
>>
>>3160282

I was mocking what I observed to be /pol/ tier discounting of print media with "muh books".

If you meant "my books" in the sense that you read/like those books, then carry on the good work.
>>
Revolution and its Past by R. Schoppa is a very good book on China from 1840's-present. I highly recommend it.
>>
I don't know any books but I recommend this pretty nice video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UUCEeC4f6ts
>>
>>3160974
cheap bait
>>
What happened in China in 1905?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.