[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do humans tend to migrate to crowded places (unless it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Why do humans tend to migrate to crowded places (unless it's overcrowded)? Are our 'urban social horizon' so limited that we always want to stay with as many people near us as possible?
>>
You've either lived in the same little rural town your whole life or you're underage. Either way, there is so much more to think about when you move beyond the size of the place your moving too. Large cities usually have more economic opportunities and things to do, people to see, in general. Does this mean smaller areas don't have their advantages too? Of course not. Also, this is not history and calling it humanities is a stretch by far considering the sociological implications. >>>/sci/
>>
>>3157498
>Human geography is not /his/
Also, nice assumptions there.
>>
>>3157468
-Jobs
-Easy access to conveniences (24 hour stores, etc.) - which is especially good if you don't like driving
-Proximity of millions of potential mating partners
-City people tend to be more socially tolerant, which is good if you're gay, a minority, etc.
-Some people like anonymity... living in a small town where everybody knows everybody has an upside but also a downside (gossip, judgmental people can have more influence, etc.)
>>
>>3157519
Nice points there, but I'm wondering if there's a more abstract answer though. I remember some phenomenology thinkers talking about 'horizon' or something like that, and maybe it has something to do with how humans perceive themselves intersubjectively or something like that.
>>
>>3157468
>Why do humans tend to migrate to crowded places
They don't, they migrate to places of opportunity which eventually become crowded.

Think Gold Rush boom-town.
>Middle of Nowhere
>Some vagrant finds gold
>People from thousands of miles around rush in seek their fortune.
>A bustling town rises up around them to cater to their needs.
>The town prospers to the point that people no longer come just to prospect for gold but to make money providing services to the prospecters like whoring, acting, vaudeville and playing piano and grows even larger
>A rail line to the town is built so trains can allow even more people to come
>The gold runs out
>Prospecters leave
>Businesses, whores, actors, and musicians leave
>The town dies
>The trains no longer stop there
>Middle of Nowhere again
>>
>>3157545
I see. That makes sense.
>>
>>3157468
Economics.

>(unless it's overcrowded)?
Clearly you don't live on this planet, that rarely stops them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila

41,515 people per square kilometer... and still growing.
>>
>>3157519
I mean walking to a 7/11 and getting taquito's is a prerequisite for any civilization
>>
>>3157564
aw that's just cuz squatters in the periphery and high-rises in the metropole
you only ever give a shit about the density if you're driving
>>
>>3157468
I would choose a less crowded place if it were an option--and I did have an option between something like 12 offices, but all of them were in big cities. Oh well.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.