[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are Barons /his/? Were they, Lord of the Manor, living in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

File: A_baron_(State_1).jpg (2MB, 1983x2875px) Image search: [Google]
A_baron_(State_1).jpg
2MB, 1983x2875px
What are Barons /his/? Were they, Lord of the Manor, living in their fortified keep in villages. Or did they live in Castles?
>>
A baron could own several manors and a castle, though not necessarily a castle.
>>
File: peel.jpg (50KB, 300x355px) Image search: [Google]
peel.jpg
50KB, 300x355px
>>3153051
>castle, though not necessarily a castle.
Peel towers of sorts or any variation of tower houses?
>>
>>3153032
Depends on the place they are baron of. Some were broke, others obscenely rich.
>>
>>3153032
They were a part of the Noble estate. Landowners who controlled a titular barony. There would be multiple baronies in county and multiple counties in a duchy.

That's where we get Counts and Dukes from. Then there were Knights all over the shop

The other estates were the Clergy and the Burghers. Clergy's pretty self explanatory but for example a Mayor is a Burgher

t. EU4 and CK2
>>
>>3153032
It's a title of nobility. Some barons were more powerful than dukes and princes. It all depended on how much land you owned and how many mounted riders and sergeant spearmen you can raise. Some barons could be raised to high nobility by the king. Some barons were direct tenants of the king and were highly influential.
>>
File: 9.png (612KB, 1200x1709px) Image search: [Google]
9.png
612KB, 1200x1709px
>>3153324
Yes. And those barons can muster up a force higher then counts and though unlikely dukes
>>
File: Sword of the Morning.jpg (420KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sword of the Morning.jpg
420KB, 1920x1080px
>>3153386
idk man haven't played CK2 since they brought in shattered retreat desu. Literally unplayable.

But yeah I mean in reality a OPM can't really dominate Europe and colonise India around 1100ad so hey
>>
File: 1498784296450.png (71KB, 506x329px) Image search: [Google]
1498784296450.png
71KB, 506x329px
>>3153410
>Tfw I play as either Stannis or Florents
Why are they so fucking underpower
>>
>>3153416
Idk really. Theyre a powerful Reach house and yet their castle base value is fucking 2 or 3. It's a fucking travesty. The dev team also won't make Dragonstone into a Kingdom and Driftmark into a duchy.
>>
>>3153416
Stannis is super OP isn't he? idk Florents. Try playing as the Arbour? Super high dev province.

Also The Ironborn can be a lot of fun. Abuse the salt wife mechanics so badly it overloads the UI
>>
>>3153416
>Stannis is super OP isn't he?
Pretty sure they nerfed him somewhat

>idk Florents.
Florents are shafted in the mod. The red apple fossoways are stronger than them and they are just lords. The Florents are the weakest Highlords in the Reach which makes no sense

>Try playing as the Arbour? Super high dev province.
I tend not to play in High Dev Provinces for the fun. Although I did manage to make the Boltons as king in their own kingdoms

>Also The Ironborn can be a lot of fun.
That is true, but I fucking hate it when you raid a province you sometimes are forced to payback everything

>Abuse the salt wife mechanics so badly it overloads the UI
I try to limit how many Children I have
>>
>>3153448
Steam says I haven't played CK2 since Jan 2015 hey. So yeah the mod would be super different.

That Dayne game was the one man. Conquered all of westeros and most of Essos (until there stopped being flags basically) from a OPM (might have been a 2PM) Caught a dragon with that fucker and got the Lightsaber with him

Was fun
>>
File: mottemap.gif (4KB, 287x332px) Image search: [Google]
mottemap.gif
4KB, 287x332px
>>3153120
Peel towers, motte and bailey castles and small fortifications were built to resist raids after the Norman invasions and in unstable regions like Wales, Ireland and the border with Scotland. In England in the 13th century many castles that were not enlarged and converted to stone were destroyed or fell into disuse and increasingly a baron could just be a landowner or an official granted that title.

An example of a castle owned by an English baron might be Helmsley Castle which was only besieged once in its lifetime and after the medieval era. Though maybe it deterred a Scottish army pushing south or a rival from attacking.

Okehampton castle was an old motte and bailey castle later converted into a leisurely retreat for hunting trips.
>>
>>3153120
note: motte and bailey castles were built in the 11th and 12th centuries, peel towers were commonly from the 15th century onwards and along the Scottish border
>>
>>3153467
I mean that's basically how the Normans got down isn't it? Won a battle then took all the castles and just fortified themselves against the natives.

Is there much about the tensions in the North outside of the Domesday book? Kind of an interesting dynamic actually with the North being Danelaw a few years earlier and then a bunch of other Nordics showing up and saying they were boss
>>
>>3153467
>>3153470
Got any information on Tower castle? I heard they overlapped enough to be called Castle
>>
File: Tour.isolee.png (235KB, 654x804px) Image search: [Google]
Tour.isolee.png
235KB, 654x804px
>>3153375
Got any evidence-based historical facts?
>>
>>3153120
Looks comfy.
>>
>>3153032
Baron is a French word that mean "brave man, mighty man, wealthy man"

Baron are originally freemen that went to war, it later became a title of nobility
>>
>>3153551
Fuck, I'd like to live there.
>>
Baron is among the oldest Noble title. It was originally purely military in nature. Most barons were from "immémoriale" nobility. That is their family was always considered Noble as far as archives go. The French King had not made them Noble, they reputedly always were. Due to those factors the title held a special place among French titles and the oldest Baron title holder has special rights.
>>
>>3153551
lords of Coucy
>>
>>3153551
In thekingdom of England, themedieval Latinwordbaro, baroniswas used originally to denote atenant-in-chiefof the earlyNorman kingswho held his lands by thefeudal tenureof "barony" (in Latinper baroniam), and who was entitled to attend the Great Council (Magnum Concilium) which by the 13th century had developed into theParliament of England.[4]Feudal baronies (or "baronies bytenure") are now obsolete in England and without any legal force but any such historical titles are heldin gross, that is to say are deemed to be enveloped within a more modern extant peerage title also held by the holder, sometimes along with vestigialmanorial rightsand tenures bygrand serjeanty.

William Iintroduced the rank ofbaroninEnglandto distinguish those men who had pledged their loyalty to him under thefeudal system. Previously, in the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of England, the king's companions held the title ofearland inScotland, the title ofthane. All who held their feudal barony "in-chief of the king", that is with the king as his immediate overlord, became alikebarones regis("barons of the king"), bound to perform a stipulated annual military service, and obliged to attend his council. Eventually the greatest of the nobles, especially those in themarches, such as theEarls of Chesteror theBishops of Durham, whose territories were often deemedpalatine, that is to say "worthy of a prince", might refer to their own tenants as "barons", where lesser magnates spoke simply of their "men" (homines).
>>
File: turinmayo.jpg (22KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
turinmayo.jpg
22KB, 300x224px
>>3153032
Barons are the chiefs of a Barony, that is to say a castle, always found under the authority of a Count. He shares his rank with the Bishop, chief of the Bishopric (a church or abbey) and the Mayor, chief of a city.
>>
File: Peel Tower Internal.jpg (727KB, 863x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Peel Tower Internal.jpg
727KB, 863x1200px
>>3153573
It is comfy anon. Baron loved it
>>
>>3156585
Pretty tight. Stave him out pretty quick though. Or kill the like 10 people he had in there if can get through the door
>>
File: Peel Tower.jpg (2MB, 1516x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Peel Tower.jpg
2MB, 1516x1600px
>>3156885
You underestimate the peel tower's power
>>
>>3156935
Yeah I mean probably. But at the same time the only Citadel in Europe was starved out pretty handily. You only need enough men to cut off supplies to siege a castle
>>
>>3156935
>>3156585
>>3156300
>>3153551
It would have been so sick to live in these. Even as a guard or a servant.
>>
>>3153473
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrying_of_the_North
William did to them what he did to the saxons, killed em all and put new norman lords at the top of the tree
surprisingly barely talked about
>>
>>3157006
Goes unnoticed because it goes against the paradigm that England was a united country for a long time before the Normans come through.

Every time you hear about it as a child or in most other circumstances it Starts at 1066 with England being a happy united Whole

Its like the start of the movie braveheart ffs
>>
File: Baron's castle.jpg (139KB, 490x590px) Image search: [Google]
Baron's castle.jpg
139KB, 490x590px
>>3156972
Indeed
>>
>>3157539
Sorry what is the point of this? Sure its super hard to take. But its a nightmare to get food into. Castles are only really useful to mount raids from or to hide until the enemy fucks off. Doesn't block and routes. Just sits there on his mountain
>>
>>3153410
Turn it off in the settings. You can choose setting prior to starting a game.
>>
>>3157764
Eh on the EU4 train. Well actually the NoGame train atm. But if I'm to play a GSG it will be a knight run in EU4

Given Stellaris a go?
>>
File: 71669.jpg (357KB, 1762x800px) Image search: [Google]
71669.jpg
357KB, 1762x800px
>>3157577
>Not enjoying the scenery
>>
>>3153032
>Castles
Castellans lived in Castles.
>>
>>3153467
Good. Anglos needed to suffer
>>
This thread has introduced me to peel towers. Cheers anons for adding another option to any potential future home builds.
>>
>>3159492
No problem.
>>
This thread is nice
>>
>>3157577
It is not far from the valley floor. Transporting food for miles would be a greater ordeal than the brief climb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFVL5XGtWY
>>
>>3161544
Not an argument
>>
>>3161544
Anymore
>>
>>3153467
How do you explain this?
>>3156585
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.