[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did France come to support a literal monarch so soon after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

How did France come to support a literal monarch so soon after the revolution? Isn't this exactly what they fought to stop in the first place?
>>
Napoleon was based though
>>
>>3152185
They could make an exception for him.
>>
>>3152185
Better a king chosen by the people than a king chosen by nobody.
>>
It was only the extremists in Paris who wanted to abolish the monarchy entirely, not the French as a whole.
>>
>>3152185
They had enough of people like Robespierre sperging out
>>
>>3152185

The revolution was a ghastly, bloody affair fraught with anarchy and wanton killing. When Napoleon declared that the revolution was finally over, most people breathed a sigh of relief. Even people who hated the monarchy were glad to see order, at last, restored.
>>
>>3152185
Revolutions never works out in the end
>>
>>3152185

10 years of continual warfare sucks. People are willing to give up their principle for stability.
>>
>>3152185
The original intent of the revolution was to put a constitutional monarchy in place
Than radicals ruined it and it became a bloody mess until napoleon took over
>>
>>3152209
t. thermidorian scum
>>
>>3152185
Emperor > King
>>
>>3152216
but then they ended up with years of continual warfare
and then put up Napoleon III, confirming that continual warfare was a lot of fun for them.
>>
>>3152185
even though Napoleon was an autocrat he still embodied the revolutionary ideals and actively worked to improve French society by writing a new legal code. After so many years of bloody factionary conflict people were willing to sacrifice the democracy part of the revolution for the stability of an autocrat, but that doesn't mean the revolution ended. Napoleon could hardly have been farther from a restoration of the ancien regime.
>>
>>3152218
Wasn't the French Revolution practically the birth of what would come to be communism? I recall some radical faction led by clergy having rhetoric and goals eerily similar to communists a hundred years later
>>
>>3152185
plebs realizing that they lack the cognitive capacity to govern themselves.
>>
File: 500px-Map_empires.png (173KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Map_empires.png
173KB, 500x333px
>>3152237
only if you like border gore and ugly character portraits
>>
>>3153149
>and then put up Napoleon III
He became emperor throught a coup d'état
>>
>>3152185
I wonder if Nappy really looked like that. Man, if he had only lived a few more years, we could have had a photograph of him. Well, the old Saint Helena him, in any case.
>>
>>3153158
Well, he did just as good of a job at bankrupting the country through endless warfare.
>>
>>3153149
Napoleon had managed to end the Revolutionary Wars though
But then Brits got butthurt about having lost and started the Napoleonic Wars
>>
>>3153309
>That Tartaria
Ugliest thing in the game
>>
>>3152185
Revolutionaries originally didn't want a republic, they wanted either an enlightened despot or a constitutional monarch. It was just that the Bourbons were fucking retarded.

So when they got a leader that wasn't a retard and pushed the reforms they wanted in the first place (and beat the shit out of all their enemies) they wanted to have his children.
>>
>>3153396
There are a lot of paintings of him that keep pretty consistent, and he looks like fucking kingraven on them so I doubt he's beautified
>>
>>3153399
reminder that napoleon never once declared war

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_Wars
all of these were defensive wars for france
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.