[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Thomas Jefferson approve of the assassination of Lincoln?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1478045439150.jpg (122KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478045439150.jpg
122KB, 1366x768px
Would Thomas Jefferson approve of the assassination of Lincoln?

Lincoln did objectively violate the Constitution, but would that have been enough for Jefferson to see assassination as justifiable? He seemed pretty radical and borderline Anarchist with quotes such as, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants", so I'm curious.
>>
>>3146494

When it came to slavery, Jefferson tended to be hypocritical to the extreme. I genuinely don't know what side he would take.
>>
>>3146772
Jefferson pretty much believed that the country outright would not survive if slavery was not ended, but he did not know how to end it without a war that would destroy the country. I think he would probably have opposed secession and sided with Lincoln after Fort Sumter.
>>
>>3146494
You do know that the constitution allows for the suspension of Habeus Corpus in the event of insurrection, right?
>>
>>3146819
The issue wasn't that the government did it, it's whether Lincoln could do it without Congressional approval.

It genuinely is not clear whether the power to suspend habeas corpus was intended to lie with the Legislature or the Executive. The line is found in the section which deals with congressional powers, but, as legal scholars have since pointed out, it does not explicitly say that it is a congressional power, and it does not make sense that a power explicitly intended to deal with emergencies like war or rebellion would be restricted to a branch which is in recess half the time and could take weeks to assemble.
>>
Jefferson talked and quilled a lot of shit but he was a rich boy larping as an egalitarian agitator like those upper middle class suburb faggot slacktivits with $3000 MacBooks in an upscale hipster coffehouse Liking a post on Facebook to reaffirm their unshakeable belief that yes, their farts smell like rosewater. He might have supported secession in principle but not if it threatened his interests directly.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.