[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"battles" are now a dozen or so people shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

>"battles" are now a dozen or so people shooting tens of thousands of bullets in the general direction of the enemy
Gunpowder was a mistake
>>
>>3145283
Only if you're an Arab
>>
I feel you OP.
Most casualties are caused by artillery anyway, not bullets.
>>
>>3145283
Personally I'm happy to be defended by a professional army that operates within society without causing too much scarcity of resources. I don't have to fight, I'm not subject to rationing, I get to shitpost on /his/ while poor people's children fight my wars. It's lovely.
>>
Seriously do people even get shot anymore in combat? I watch lots of war footage and the entire thing just seems to be dudes behind some cover spraying bullets at people the can't even see. This goes on for a long time until air support arrives and blows them up
>>
>>3145283
You mean bombs falling from the sky killing fughters as much as civilians.
>>
>>3145325
This. Airstrikes and artillery kill vast majority of people in any given conflict, movies distorted our view of reality.
>>
>>3145351
>tfw infantry only exist to serve as a metric for judging the effectiveness of artillery and airstrikes in 2017
>>
>>3145331
>Seriously do people even get shot anymore in combat?
Yes.

> I watch lots of war footage and the entire thing just seems to be dudes behind some cover spraying bullets at people the can't even see. This goes on for a long time until air support arrives and blows them up
Arty and air support do most of the killing and maiming. If you're just an ordinary infantryman your chances of ever killing an enemy soldier are pretty slim unless you're in very close proximity to the enemy, like in urban warfare situations like Stalingrad.
>>
>>3145283
no such thing as "battles" now, it's more like small scale operations.

If a world-wide conflict broke out between the likes of Germany, UK, US, France, China, India, etc there wouldn't be anything like trench warfare because technology has advanced to the point that airstrikes fundamentally beat footsoldiers. You wouldn't have lots of infantry in one place, going at it like we saw in the world wars.
>>
>>3145283
Gunfire is extremely aesthetic though.
>>
>>3145375
Just out of interest, what would you say is the role of infantry in modern war?
>>
>>3146785
Securing and holding territory.
>>
>>3146785
Not that guy, but the role of infantry remains much the same; to take and more importantly, hold, ground. An airstrike can kill the enemy but what's the point if you can't then occupy that empty ground with your own troops?
>>
>>3146791
But if they can just get bombed via air power surely that means that the only way to truely hold an area is air superiority?
>>
>>3146785
Make-work for welfare queens. Prove me wrong I know you can't nigga.
>>
>>3145375

Someone have to destroy the AA before the air strike.
>>
File: 1497555982382.jpg (46KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
1497555982382.jpg
46KB, 500x359px
>>3145283
unless you can bench 3 pl8 OP your better off with gunpowder
>>
>>3145325
And before that it was disease.
War was never romantic.
>>
>>3146801
An air strike can't force a curfew on non-combatants or harvest resources in a captured territory.
>>
>>3146801
nigga airplanes need to refuel and rearm. even drones can't stay circling around the same place for more than a day or so.
>>
>>3147321
And infantry needs to eat, sleep, shit, etc. What's your point?
>>
>>3146785
to enslave their womans and rape their childrens for morale purpose
>>
>>3147438
It's cheaper, easier and more effective to have men standing on corners forcing your country to do shit compared to planes.
>>
File: CpawmdgUsAAkaul.jpg_large.jpg (122KB, 1051x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CpawmdgUsAAkaul.jpg_large.jpg
122KB, 1051x1000px
>>3147438
you can eat, sleep and shit in the same place you are holding as a soldier.
aircraft need to fuck off back to an airbase, aircraft carrier, etc to refuel, rearm, and let the pilots rest.
>>
>>3145326
Pretty much this but the scarcity and resources. War today must be more expensive than ever in history
>>
>>3145326
Pain and death will find you eventually.
>>
>>3147444
This. Win hearts and minds
>>
>>3146801
Let's say China has complete control over your country's airspace. No ground presence, just air power. What's to stop you shrugging and going about your life exactly as you did before?

Air superiority is a prerequisite to controlling a country, but it doesn't actually give you control in and of itself.
>>
>>3145351
Not true, infantry exist to hold ground and to manoeuvre other infantry into a position where they can be bombed
>>
Gunpowder was a mistake.

When the White Man brought his Fire Sand to our shores, we were at first amazed. My youngest son, Monuckchuk'wamphlam thought the White Man were medicine men with power to bring fire to all, even during the coldest winters. In reality, the only medicine they brought was death.

Soon, we brought them to our village, known then as Wasquachatowa. He gave them the testicles of the bison, a part reserved only for honored guests and brave warriors. We gave them maize, beans, and squash. When they asked what animal they were eating the testicles of, I pointed to an immature bison grazing nearby. Immediately one of the White Man creeped off of his beaver testicle cushion and shot the bison. He claimed it was a gift, but I saw it as an omen. We mourned the beast and prepared a special testicle stew to honor his death.
>>
>>3148085
Infantry exist because you can't defend a 105mm battery with another battery, and because airplanes aren't very good at defending airports. Also, despite my best efforts, I have yet to successfully employ an artillery piece in urban fighting.
>>
>>3148070
>What's to stop you shrugging and going about your life exactly as you did before?
Being exploded by a dropped bomb?
>>
>>3148101
get on my level infidel.
>>
>>3148101
Americans bombed the shit out of Fallujah, but it was still an occupied city until actual infantry secured it.
>>
Since we're talking about warfare and airstrikes, how destructive barrel bombs are?
>>
>>3145283
No one knows really what a proper 21st century battle would be like. Especially if you consider a no-holds-barred struggle with nuclear and biological weaponry.
>>
>>3146785
The infantry is the most versatile, adaptable and part of any AirLand battle doctrine. Infantry are really the only thing on the battlefield that don't have a hard counter.

Tanks<Attack Helicopters

Attack Helicopters<Fast air

Fast air<Anti-aircraft weapons

Anti-aircraft weapons<tanks

Tanks<infantry

Infantry<other infantry

MANPAD Infantry>attack helicopters
>>
>>3145299
fpbp
>>
>>3148118
You can't really gauge this accurately because it varies with each bomb, given that each bomb is literally a (usually) metal barrel filled with whatever plastic explosives were lying around at the time. It can either be devastating or negligible.
>>
>>3148046
True but it won't be on a battlefield. Stay mad poorfag.
>>
>>3148183
NSA here. We just placed you on our "first choice" list for any future draft.
>>
>>3145331
> I watch a lot of war footage

The bravery of being out of range
>>
>>3148140
what about rockets/artillery?
>>
>>3145283
Would you prefer to be starved to death in a besieged city then
>>
>>3147783

You forget that our military power underwrites the safety of shipping routes and transnational corporations.

There is no american dominance without the protection of trading routes. Our military makes the wealth possible in the first place.
>>
>>3145283
>tfw all those anti air weapons for infantry barely work

Fuck that shit, planes ruined warfare.

>finally, we captured the base
>*gets bombed back to stone age*
>those planes don't get a single scratch and safely return

I'm fucking glad the serbs shot down that fucking stealth (gay) plane from below. Must have striked fear into burger pilots.
>>
File: Crow-Brave.jpg (53KB, 600x823px) Image search: [Google]
Crow-Brave.jpg
53KB, 600x823px
>>3145283
>>
>>3147783
Compared to output? War is cheaper today. People seriously underestimate just how much maintaining wartime trading routes times

>>3145375
Plz go fuck yourself. If WW3 broke out, for some reason, there would suddenly be mass conscription for anybody scared of getting dragged into it.
Land armies would suddenly be mobilized, and artillery do not change that.
If anything, if somebody has war production, one might see completely retarded deployments of ATVs & bikes from some sort of airplanes, because you still need to hold the ground to capture it.
And thats true even for something you almost bomb apart.

Even something like war on Taliban/ISIS is a good example: If you do not secure resources, they can be taken, and hence war will be eternal unless you leave or actually hold them.
And if war is happening, so do stuff like trench building, securing facilities, and mountain factories.
>>
>>3151145
You're just butthurt because your country doesn't have the 1st and 2nd largest air forces. The United States Navy has more planes than the 2nd biggest Air Force.
>>
>>3145375
Except in a real world war scenario you wouldn't see airforces operate with such ease as they do now. Modern AA systems will reek havoc on them. It's not like bombing some ratty terrorists with rusty AK's.
>>
File: IMG_0554.jpg (51KB, 220x283px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0554.jpg
51KB, 220x283px
>>3147099

This can be done from the air too
>>
>>3148331
Counter artillery is a thing, guys trained to return fire on enemy artillery pieces with your own artillery.
>>
>In a war you used to be mostly safe except for a few hours a day when you were very likely to die
>Now death lingers over you at all times
>>
File: Zapad 81.jpg (151KB, 1000x541px) Image search: [Google]
Zapad 81.jpg
151KB, 1000x541px
>>3145283
>Gunpowder was a mistake
No, nukes are.

We'd still have glorious clash of arms between large armies except the cunts are in a deadlock and therefore have to rely on tiny shitty countries and non-state actors.
>>
>>3145331
Thats because in modern wars, or the modern world, people really dont want to die and human life is valued much more.

If the same battle was taken back to WW2 those infantry would get up and run across the field under fire and storm the position, losing some men but winning.

But nowadays, and im not making a moral judgement, modern soldiers literally wont risk their lives in war.

It's basically
>Find enemy
>pin them down
>call the planes
>>
>>3153257
>>3153271
>>3151145
Thank God Africa is still around to show us how real wars are fought amirite?
>>
File: CMZen.jpg (47KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
CMZen.jpg
47KB, 640x443px
>>3153412
u know it
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.