[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to increase my knowledge of the American Revolution. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: americanrevolution.jpg (491KB, 640x461px) Image search: [Google]
americanrevolution.jpg
491KB, 640x461px
I want to increase my knowledge of the American Revolution. What are some great books to read for the subject?
>>
>>3140901
Anything by Gordon S. Wood.
>>
Declaration and Founding Finance by William Hogeland
>>
ASCENDED MASTER TIER:
Fire in the Minds of Men by James H. Billington
>>
>>3140901

Empire of Liberty
>>
Washington's Crossing
>>
>>3140901
Was the american revolution technically a civil war?
>>
>>3140935
No. A civil war is between peoples of the same nation.
>>
>>3140935
The Americans were already a nation-within-an-empire by that point, not a small colony.
>>
>>3141076
>>3141089
>what are loyalists
hmmm
>>
>>3141240
>>3141089
>>3141076
>>3140935
It was a colonial revolution you retards. Same thing that happened in the Latin American nations. Yes there were loyalists but it was a revolution in the colony against it's overlords
>>
American revolution is pretty intellectually dry in and of itself. The leadup to the revolution was much more interesting. If you have some freetime, I would suggest doing some primary source analysis on Common Sense pamphlets for a glimpse into a prevailing sense of the american colonist as the other to the british loyalist crown. Very fun, and does make poigant points that would be the foundation for revolution.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (896KB, 3811x2142px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
896KB, 3811x2142px
bumping because this is one of my favorite points in history.

>>3140901
I just purchased:

>Howard Zinn's "A People History of the United States."
Which can basically be summarized as "white men fucked over everyone". Technically not wrong.
>David McCullough's "1776"
and the 700 page biography that inspired the musical:
>Ron Chernov's "Alexander Hamilton"

Somewhat related -- I'm in the middle of reading "Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates" by Brian Kilmeade. If for whatever reason you don't like Muslims, boy is this the book for you.
>>
>>3142341
1776 is good reading, but it's fawning patriot tier as objective history I'd say. Not that it makes it bad, because it's great
>>
>>3141473

I would like to know what was the colonists understanding or historiography of the English civil war, seems to me a much underdeveloped topic.

Plus you had the Quakers who fled England during that period, and who later would have tremendous influence on American national identity and philosophy as a nation.
>>
>>3144444
Checked holy shit
>>
>>3141358
>I would suggest doing some primary source analysis on Common Sense pamphlets for a glimpse into a prevailing sense of the american colonist
>a pamphlet written by a british political writer
intellectually barren, you might say
>>
>>3145197
>>3141473
meant for
>>
I wish there were more books about the Southern Campaign. I had family that were 'supposedly' part of the Overmountain Men and you never hear much about King's Mountain or Cowpens when people bring up Revolutionary War history.
>>
>>3141358
so you'd say the syrian civil war is a revolution because sunnis are rebelling against their alawite overlords? imo both terms apply. while the english did see the americans as their inferiors, for all their differences, americans were of british ethnic and cultural descent, although a peculiar version of that tradition given high percentage of protestant nonconformists settling in the colonies (vs. the anglican majority faith in england), and their adherence to verious interpretations of english history distinct from the majority view of the british at the time, though not so different from the whig ideology adhered to be a large minority of the british political elite, burke, for example, being one of them (and pro-american revolution)
>>
>>3140901
Almost a Miracle
>>
>>3142341
>Technically not wrong.
>assigning guilt to an entire class of people
yeah it's wrong
>>
>>3146398
Zinn himself wasn't wrong in his book. Thats just kind of what happened in regaurds to the Natives and the blacks. It's not my fault thats what he chose to focus his book on.

>>3144419
Thanks mate; exactly what I was hoping for to be honest.
>>
>>3146435
>regaurds to the Natives and the blacks
Amerindians died out via disease and genocide from European colonists, fair
but to blame all of Africa on whites, and to blame both problems on "white people" not the people who actually did the deeds is disingenuous
>>
>>3146447
Zinns actually a little more interesting than that. His books are getting to be a little aged, it was wrote in the 80s as an attempt to discuss the people overlooked by writers on the American experience.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.