[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books that offer a critique of capitalism/modernism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_7953.jpg (67KB, 1200x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7953.jpg
67KB, 1200x480px
What are some good books that offer a critique of capitalism/modernism from a right wing, traditionalist standpoint?
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 315x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 315x499px
>>
>>3135793

Is it actually good or just "no usury"?
>>
>>3135782
I unironically recommend reading Adorno.
>>
>>3135833
this desu. that guy is so sadly meme'd on but he jerks off to roman statuary as much as /pol/ does
>>
>>3135833

Which works?
>>
>>3135830
also barter economy, ver little taxes
>>
File: Memes-0410.jpg (68KB, 550x705px) Image search: [Google]
Memes-0410.jpg
68KB, 550x705px
Rerum Novarum and Quadragesimo Anno
>>
>>3135855
Dialectic of Enlightenment is the most relevant one I believe. You might need some other required reading to fully comprehend it. I think reading it alongside Hayek's Road to Serfdom will provide a pretty right wing perspective.
>>
>>3135782
Ted Kaczynski's manifesto
>>
>>3135782
The quran
>>
>>3136679
don't forget the sunnah of the Prophet, sallalahu aleyhi wasallam, and tasfir, and works by experts in fiqh etc
>>
>>3135782
Based Evola, if you like esoterism.
>>
>>3135782
edmund burke "reflections on the revolution in france" i think is partly a critique of radical change brought about by rationalization/ implementing abstract ideals (including i assume free trade) at the cost of destroyng centuries of accumulated traditions and experience that were built up to address various challenges made to human society.

max weber, durkheim and marx, for all their inspiration of sociologists and leftists (weber is still considered conservative, though, even by leftists who take inspiration from his method). I highly recommend reading Edward Royce's book analyzing the three of them together. It is very clearly written and you get a sense of how much each of these classic theorists believed how fucked up modernity was and how destructive it was. Weber was the most pessimistic among them and he thought that modernity was basically a hopeless condition everyone is trapped in (what he called the "iron cage" created by the increasing complexity and bureacratization of society) while marx and durkheim were optimistic that while modernity as it was in their time was awful, they believed it could be steered in a path for the betterment of man. desu though weber comes off as the most red-pilled even though the analyses of marx and durkheim of modern society were spot on.
>>
File: 9780674031852.jpg (19KB, 164x234px) Image search: [Google]
9780674031852.jpg
19KB, 164x234px
This goes beyond capitalism and modernism to trace a set of related criticisms on liberalism starting from the French Revolution until today. It might be more broad than what you are looking for but I still highly recommend it.
>>
>>3138377
Crundon, Robert, ed. The Superfluous Men: Conservative Critics of American Culture, 1900–1945. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1977.
>This is an anthology of writing from the first half of the 20th century, a period often overlooked in histories of American conservatism. The Superfluous Men is important for the material it gathers and even more for its focus on a period when American conservatism was more closely aligned with agrarian traditions and with anticapitalist sentiments than it would later be.

Kimmage, Michael. The Conservative Turn: Lionel Trilling, Whittaker Chambers, and the Lessons of Anti-Communism. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2009.
>This is a monograph on the mid-century evolution of conservatism, liberalism, and radicalism. Kimmage illustrates some of the complexities and contradictions of “modern” conservatism, enamored of tradition yet forced to make peace with capitalism, with technology, and with the bureaucratic imperatives of the modern state. Kimmage alleges a porous border between conservative and liberal ideas.
Palmer, Bruce. “Man over Money”: The Southern Critique of American Capitalism. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1980.
>This is not a monograph on conservatism per se, but it follows Crundon 1977 and Hoeveler 1977 (both cited under Early Works) in its examination of conservative figures and texts prior to World War II. Palmer scrutinizes a distinctively Southern (anticapitalist, antimodern) contribution to American conservatism.
>>
>>3138127
>>3138127
This
>>
>>3138459
Sternhell, Zeev. The Anti-Enlightenment Tradition. Translated by David Maisel. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2010.
>Revised and expanded version of Les Anti-lumières (Paris: Fayard, 2006). Casting the net more widely than in Sternhell, et al. 1994, identifies a tradition of anti-Enlightenment thought going back to Herder and Burke, encompassing not only those such as Maurras and Sorel featured in earlier works, but also implicating more recent figures such as Friedrich Meinecke and Isaiah Berlin. In Sternhell’s view, not only did this tradition prepare the way for fascism, but also it continues to have a profoundly negative effect.
>>
>>3138529
>>3138459
thanks for the recommendations, anon. saved
>>
>>3138537
np don't forget this one that i mentioned off hand in the first post. weber i think generally saw good in capitalism but he hated modernity and he had some bad things to say about capitalism too.
>>
>>3138494
>lived with his mom
>virgin who wrote about 'esoteric sex'
>larping hindu/pagan
>too edgy for fascism
>disabled and a burden to everyone
>believes in magic... I mean 'magick'
>mocked by Himmler as a fraud and a loser
>influenced right-wing thought for some reason
>>
>>3138617
>>3138617
>lived with his mom
For a longer time than americans or notern europeans, that's perfectly normal in italy
>virgin
He had several affairs...
>larping hindu/pagan
It's hardly larping if you actually do something about it.
>too edgy for fascism
How is that bad?
>disabled and a burden to everyone
Not really.
>mocked by Himmler as a fraud and a loser
Who? Chicken handler guy? Right.
>>
>>3138617
He sounds like /his/ incarnate.
>>
>>3138127
>evola

I will never understand why edgelords shill Evola and made made-up mystical memes about spirituality

>muh divine nordic solar supermen
>fucking c-christians reeee

Woah so profound
>>
File: Edgyleft.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Edgyleft.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
>>3139088
>implying lefties are not edgelord lords too
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.