[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Austria the best European empire in regards to its treatment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

Was Austria the best European empire in regards to its treatment of minorities?
>>
>>3128470
hardly
t. minority from fromer A-H
>>
>>3128470
>best treatment of minorities

You'll get completely different understandings of what this means depending on political stance.
>>
>>3128470
they were okay until said minority decided to secede, then it was as harsh as any other
would have been.

>1848 revolt of the huns
in hindsight the hungarians were really foolish, if their little revolt had succeeded and they got their independence, they and all the other parts of AH would have been swallowed by Russia and Prussia.

Instead of working together to turn AH into a central european powerhouse, they kept bitching and moaning while letting it fall apart. But it didn't take those nations long to realise that independence is fine and dandy until your larger neighbours come knocking for clay, or you realize that the serbs in belgrade are little better than vienna, while also being more corrupt.
>>
File: marchpas.jpg (75KB, 720x503px) Image search: [Google]
marchpas.jpg
75KB, 720x503px
>>3128533
>Instead of working together to turn AH into a central european powerhouse, they kept bitching and moaning while letting it fall apart. But it didn't take those nations long to realise that independence is fine and dandy until your larger neighbours come knocking for clay, or you realize that the serbs in belgrade are little better than vienna, while also being more corrupt.
literally this

The AH empire was one of the best for religion and ethnicity. There were very patriotic men of the empire from all corners, faiths, ethnicities but the empire was founded on the protection of the monarchy. The army saved the emperor when everything could have (and almost had) fallen to the prussians or bavarians and so the army of AH served "God and Kaiser" above all else. The army existed for the monarchy and the monarchy existed for the army and when the Archeduke was once inspecting men an officer noted
"This soldier is a patriot."
"But is he a patriot for me?"
Because you couldn't be a patriot of your nation, you had to be one for the monarchy and if you were, you were treated as good as a german.
>>
File: 1812 Uhlan.jpg (168KB, 1024x1329px) Image search: [Google]
1812 Uhlan.jpg
168KB, 1024x1329px
>>3128577
to build up on this, i'm also a minority from former AH but the region we come from was one of the most industrialized and modern areas and not a neglected backwater. I agree with >>3128533 on the grounds that the countries that were part of the empire should have worked together instead of declaring national independence. The empire was the most culturally diverse countries that possibly existed (before USA). The empire could have attempted a slightly less centralized federal state that would enjoy modern values of ethnic freedom but at the same time staying within the same borders.

In the AH army you could see Venetian guard cavalry with ornamental armour riding next to Polish uhlans with Hungarian hussars and so many cultures and all this within the same army. I would love to see former AH countries create a EU 2.0 in central europe. It would simply be an amazing country with a very powerful army and culture.
>>
>>3128470
Depends on your definition of Empire. If the Commonwealth fits the deffinition, then no Poland-Lithuania was better in treating its minorities.
>>
>>3128470
It was the last European Empire: as in centered around the royal dynasty as opposed to
1) A colonial empire. (Britain, France)
2) Meme nationalist empire (Germans)
>>
>>3128617
I'm from Southern Poland so I would be from the northern most area of the empire.

I would say that if the slavs under the Austrians ever united into one (slavic) or two groups (south and west slavic) they would have the majority, which almost happened due to the slavic nationalist movement.

Are you from the former Czechoslovakia, because they contained ~70-80% of AH industry.
>>
File: 1815 Uhlan.jpg (144KB, 654x973px) Image search: [Google]
1815 Uhlan.jpg
144KB, 654x973px
>>3128717
Precicely from czech.
I'm guessing you're from the part of poland that was partitioned when every single neighbour was cutting up poland, i'm not an expert on that part of the empire because it's rarely mentioned in the books i read (usually it's only about uhlans which are my favourite cavalry type). The slavic ethnicities were easily the largest part of the empire with more than six different ethnicities alone. I'm a fan of some of the slavic nationalist movements but i really don't mind germans, hungarians and others joining in on a regional sphere of mutual support.
Our part of the empire was weird because on one side we didn't want to be under germans but on the other hand the germans heavily invested in czech and made Bohemia and Moravia some of the economic powerhouses of the entire empire so it was like a neutral thing. I honestly don't mind if languages were taught so that german would be taught throughout the empire and a secondary local language would be taught as well. I live in Canada right now and learning french and english as two languages is only beneficial, imagine the entire central europe linked with language for trade and politics.
>>
File: Ułani_Księstwa_Warszawskiego.jpg (240KB, 800x1039px) Image search: [Google]
Ułani_Księstwa_Warszawskiego.jpg
240KB, 800x1039px
>>3128844
As a Pole we consider Hungarians our brothers and we had our own unions before.

What I hate about the Austrians is that they joined Orthodox Russia and Protestant Prussia who took Silesia from them against the only other Catholic nation in the region who helped them fight the Ottomans.

I do love Uhalns (Ulani) as well they are the official successors of the Winged Hussars.
>>
>>3128844
I believe that the local language should be learn't first as it is the first language you speak from your parents. They the less common national language.

That's how Latin used to be. Every educated person in medieval Europe knew Latin so they were able to communicate. I remember a story of a polish noblemen (szlachta) speaking with a Frenchmen because French comes from Latin.
>>
>>3129461
>who helped them fight the Ottomans.
100 years earlier. Are they eternally in Polands debt because of that?

Poles also had a war of succession in between where the French backed candidate won out over the Austro-Russsian backed candidate.

I guess poles are just really good at choosing friends that are too far away to help when they actually need any. They later sided with france again and were not surprisingly partitioned again. And another one after that.
>>
>>3129477
>I remember a story of a polish noblemen (szlachta) speaking with a Frenchmen because French comes from Latin.

That's moreso because French replaced Latin as the Lingua Franca of Europe. There are stories of Croat and Hungarian Officers in Austrian Army during Napoleonic wars speaking to each other in French.
>>
>>3130162
The noblemen didn't know French however and this was before the Napoleonic wars and before France became the dominant language in Europe.
>>
>>3130076
If your talking about this war https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Polish_Succession the Austrian candidate won.

The last war Poland had against Austria before the partitions was in 1588 and we were neutral or allies after that until the partitions.

But for some reason the Habsburgs decide to side with Prussia who took Silesia from them in 1742 and started the war of Austrian succession, then the seven years war and allowed them to connect Brandenburg and Prussia with the first partition.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.