[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the history of saying "uh" while trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: STOP.jpg (59KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
STOP.jpg
59KB, 633x758px
What's the history of saying "uh" while trying to talk? Is it an invented / learned behavior or purely biological?
>tfw had to do a conference call at work and started to notice I compulsively say "uh" after every single word I use
>>
It's instinctual.
Gives your brain time to think of what word you want to say next.
>>
>>3124256
Uh, like, you want to say something but aren't sure what. And sort of, actually, want to evade that awkward silence.
>>
It´s to let the other speaker note that you that you didn´t finish speaking.
>>
Then stop saying "uh" you idiot. You sound like a bumbling buffoon. Silence is excellence.
>>
>>3124270
No, it's not that. I was talking at a pretty fast rate and never felt that I didn't know what to say (wasn't even thinking about the content of what I was saying on a conscious level). I just noticed in between every single word coming out of my mouth was the sound "uh.
>>
>>3124282
not OP but I get dissed for this all the time
people just feel uncomfortable, ask if I'm a robot or something
natural poker face doesn't help either
>>
>>3124287
It's a verbal tic then.
>>
>>3124296
I mean this seriously when i say fuck what those people say. The only reason people would say those things is because THEY feel uncomfortable. That is their insecurity showing and has nothing to do with you, si do bot give them a ounce of control when they throw such pssive aggressive taunts because they want to get the upperhand on you to make them feel righteous in their insecurity
>>
>>3124256
It's called a filler word and they exist in every language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_%28linguistics%29
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.