[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point in learning Latin? I used to study it and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: 1500518009733.gif (248KB, 650x1512px) Image search: [Google]
1500518009733.gif
248KB, 650x1512px
What's the point in learning Latin? I used to study it and got pretty good. I'm not religious and I don't have a particular interest in Roman history or literature.
>inb4 get educated pleb
How am I not better off learning something more useful, or am I deluding myself in thinking that usefulness matters?
Pic not related.
>>
It does help you learn better language skills.
But if you're not planning on doing anything with it there are probably better things to study.
Why learn calculus if you're never going to use it?
>>
File: billionsforspace.png (130KB, 378x546px) Image search: [Google]
billionsforspace.png
130KB, 378x546px
>you're terrible for being rich and white and wanting to advance technology
>>
>>3113004
>I'm not religious and I don't have a particular interest in Roman history or literature
Then Latin itself (with its complicated grammar and whatnot) probably isn't that useful. Learning a lot of Latin root words will help you though, because academic vocabulary is largely identical from one European language to the next, and it's all based on Greek and Latin. So learning something like Spanish might be better for you.
>>
>>3113004
>HURR fuck technology because there are poor people in the world!
>Never mind that advancing technology is the number one way to improve those poor peoples lives!
>Everyone should live in mud huts because EVILDUMB whites!

Fuck off back to /pol/ faggot.
>>
File: ThefatmakesitSassy.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ThefatmakesitSassy.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>3113164

Look at that Mom. Was that a propaganda show, or just another one of life's little ironies captured on film?

>If you never spend money on advancing technology, or even on "luxury goods", such as fine art, then you'll never have any. The whole point of a free country is for people to be responsible enough to feed themselves. Not to say that charity, and even social welfare programs aren't important.
>>
>>3113004

Actually, I took Latin in high school. Though I can't speak it, I have a vague understanding on why Romantic languages are they way they are and how our language developed.

By itself, Latin is not useful unless you are going to be translating document or going to be a WH40K LARPER, but otherwise its a good way to see the history of language development and why English, French, and Spanish are tied together on some terms.

But if you aren't interested in history, why are you here?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.