[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So in all depictions of the beowulf story I've seen there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: jk11_viking_helmet_600.jpg (50KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
jk11_viking_helmet_600.jpg
50KB, 600x600px
So in all depictions of the beowulf story I've seen there was mention of christianity.
So that would mean that christianity would be known in scandinavia atleast from the early 6th century and probably there would be a few scandinavian christians.
Would it be accurate to say that there were christian vikings before the large scale conversion efforts started during the viking age?
>>
>>3106139
Oringanlly it was a pre-chistian oral poem, but it was later written in english by chritstian monks who made some changes to make it more palatable to christians.
>>
>>3106155
So in the official story there wouldn't be any christians?
But even then would the scandinavians of late antiquity/ early early middle ages know about christianity or would they first find it during the viking age?
>>
File: Ruthwell_Cross.jpg (22KB, 192x450px) Image search: [Google]
Ruthwell_Cross.jpg
22KB, 192x450px
http://producer.csi.edu/cdraney/2011/278/resources/Tolkien%20-%20The%20Monsters%20and%20the%20Critics.pdf
>>
>>3106139
Christ in Scandinavia was probably seen as an additional god among the other's in their pantheon.
>>
>>3106361
I thought only the romans were liberal with religion like that.
>>
>>3106139
God = Woden
>>
>>3106375
I don't think so they say the name odin next to god as a seperate thing.
>>
>>3106361
Early Norsemen saw Jesus as a cuck God. So later Christians presented Jesus as a divine warrior who enters hell to battle with demons & rescue the souls of the righteous damned. They also pushed the angle of Jesus as "great king who dies without fear for the sake of his followers". Vikings liked this version better and embraced him as a God of War.
>>
>>3106139
I'm Scandinavian and no there were no real Christians, never was. Not even in Medieval times, the King simply made it law to go to Church to manipulate people into going to war. Norse mythology is rooted in every single thing in Scandinavia, churches are empty with spiderwebs since nobody is stupid enough to believe in that crap, they're just used for funerals etc.

So basically there were never any real Christians here in all of our history.
>>
File: Losers.jpg (363KB, 1532x763px) Image search: [Google]
Losers.jpg
363KB, 1532x763px
>>3106495
or maybe it was because the vikings lost the wars against christian armies
>>
>>3106518
Fake news
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.