[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really wanna know more about the prehistorian time on Atlantis,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I really wanna know more about the prehistorian time on Atlantis, any good dokumentary?
>>
Atlantis was not a real place.
>>
Atlantis was the Bronze Age civilization on Crete. It "sunk" when a massive volcano on crete erupted 4000 years ago. Plato exaggerated.
>>
Atlantis didn't exist. Any explanations (like this one: >>3103197) are just ad hoc hypotheses people came up with because they really want Plato's obviously fictional allegory to be real.
>>
>3103228
Except Plato went out of his way to describe the size, shape, and culture of the island, when he could have just mentioned the government. The account he gives near-perfectly corroborates with a stylized, warped-by-Greek-Dark-Ages depiction of Cretan civilization. All this is on top of the fact that Plato literally said "this is not an allegory."
>>
>>3103719
oh fuck i meant >>3103228
>>
>>3103719

It's entirely possible that Plato believed this to be real place without it actually being a real place. It is possible for historians to be wrong, you know, especially back then when records were sketchy.
>>
>>3103719
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jannas/Published%20Articles/atlantis.pdf
>>
>>3103729
>the story is fiction because it says it isnĀ“t fiction
>sounds like something a fictitious story would say!
Great argument.
>>
>>3103719
>>3103197
>"beyond the pillars of Hercules
>crete
You do know that the Greeks at the time of Plato knew what Crete was, right? Plato would have just said "Crete".

Is it also a coincidence that the date Plato gives us fits perfectly with the great, cataclysmic earth changes that occurred some 12,000 years ago at the end of the last Ice Age?
>>
>>3102522
>>>/x/
>>
Mesoamerica

Fucking fight me.
>>
>>3103742
The story is presented as an allegory during a fictional conversation and has lots of other elements which point to it being fiction and obviously intended as such. The narrator of the story (who, again, is fictional) saying it's real doesn't mean anything because of the context; it's like a character in Lord of the Rings talking about the fall of Gondolin. In order to take that statement seriously, you have to ignore key details about the story (much like you do by ignoring other details of the story to argue its location as a real place that doesn't fit Plato's description). I get that you want it to be real, it's a cool story. But you can't pick and choose details to support a narrative you want just because it's fun to believe.
>>
>>3103796
Where do you get the idea that Critias is fictional?
>>
>>3103796
There is a recorded Egyptian variant of the story, so it's likely Plato didn't just make it up.
>>
Atlantis is modern day Antarctica
>>
>>3102522
The 1882 publication of Atlantis: the Antediluvian World by Ignatius L. Donnelly stimulated much popular interest in Atlantis.

This guy literally started the atlantis autism with this book by taking Plato's story for fact and not just his idea of a perfect society and him trying to give an idea of how old the world was to the ancient greeks
>>
>>3103827
The dialogue is a fictional thought experiment. This isn't really a controversial reading. As this anon says >>3103875 very few people ever took the story seriously before the late 19th century.

>>3103863
No there isn't.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.