[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is consciousness, /his/? David Chalmers BTFO'ing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

What is consciousness, /his/?

David Chalmers BTFO'ing materialism:

>No explanation given wholly in physical terms can ever account for the emergence of conscious experience.

>...It will ultimately be given in terms of the structural and dynamical properties of physical processes, and no matter how sophisticated such an account is, it will yield only more structure and dynamics. While this is enough to handle most natural phenomena, the problem of consciousness goes beyond any problem about the explanation of structure and function, so a new sort of explanation is needed.
>>
A human sees the origin and misinterprets their senses, leading them to believe that the origin is somehow contingent on a single human body.
>>
>be conscious your entire life
>learn some theory that reality is non-conscious
>omg consciousness is such a mystery lolololol

materialism is cuk theory
>>
>>309565
fuck off Berkeley
>>
File: 1447536045312.png (319KB, 534x388px) Image search: [Google]
1447536045312.png
319KB, 534x388px
>>309575
>consciousness, literally the most miraculous and inexplicable thing conceivable
>its just action potentials lmfao
>>
File: unfixable feels.jpg (118KB, 941x833px) Image search: [Google]
unfixable feels.jpg
118KB, 941x833px
Who /solopist/ here? Anyone but me?
>>
>>309652
Wouldn't that be a pointless question to ask if you were genuinely a solipsist?
>>
What is the prime definition of consciousness?
>>
>>309656
How do I know you exist and aren't a figment of my imagination? In all likelihood, "you" are a metaphysical construct of my own imagination that there is a consciousness beyond my own. Prove to me that you are conscious, robot.
>>
>>309674
I can't prove squat. I was just saying that if you genuinely believe that reality is a creation of your mind that asking if someone else is a solipsist would be pointless, as nobody but you believes anything in such a state of affairs since there is nobody but you.
>>
>>309686
Solipism is the final stage of Autism
>>
>>309674
reality is infinitely vaster and more sublime than your puny imagination. if you're a genuine solipsist then you can lay claim to shakespeare's works as being your own, which is fucking ridiculous unless you assume you really are some transcenden god-mind existing outside of reality, which is unfalsifiable and therefore meaningless to talk about to be honest
>>
These are pretty good summaries of the current theories and ideas about it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0054582
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p005464j

Although Ted Honderich is a douchebag.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.