[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the most epic failure in history wich could have been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 2000px-Schlieffen_Plan_fr.svg.png (1MB, 2000x1550px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Schlieffen_Plan_fr.svg.png
1MB, 2000x1550px
What was the most epic failure in history wich could have been easily fixed in hindsight?
I start with the most obvious example
>>
>>3085852
I'm confused as to how you think it could have been easily fixed in hindsight.
>>
>>3085858
The southern army needed to pretend to lose to suck in the French army. They didn't.
>>
>>3085875
It wouldn't have worked even if they did; that leftmost lunge needs to march way faster than any completely non-mechanized army was capable of to stay in cohesion with the rest of the force, and it relies on the French being complete blithering idiots and leaving themselves open to an obvious flank attack to pursue a retreating force while the rest of the German army closes on Paris.
>>
>>3085875
I thought northern army couldn't advance as planned due to insulfficient local infrastructure.
>>
>>3085888
French army was retarded enough in WW1 that it could've worked.
>>
>>3085919
Not really, no. I could just as easily claim that the German army was doomed to fail from the get-go since they bet everything on one, unworkable plan, and have more support for that notion.

I have no idea where this "Schlieffen plan was perfect, Von Moltke lost the war by deviating from it" comes from, but it's pretty bullshit. About the closest thing I've ever seen to making the Schlieffen plan work was Lisle Rose's analysis, and even that involves sending the entire fleet on a suicide mission to the Channel to delay the BEF landing for a few weeks; and that's a horrifically expensive and bloody desperation move that requires the fleet commanders to willingly sign off on a mission that they know will get them all killed.
>>
>>3085858
Because the French really did invade Alsace Lorraine, but Von Moltke was too attached to the Schliffen plan to cut off and destroy the invading army. That Army was then able to retreat and help in the defense of Paris
>>
>>3085858
Updating the plan and better army orgnaisation along with a tiny bit of luck could have made it work. But no the Kaiser wanted more soldiers at the Russian front cause he herd they aren`t ready yet
>>
>>3085852
So, the first army just have to fight his way on foot over almost 1000km in just one week? Wonderful.
>>
File: meldyva-1.png (6KB, 333x293px) Image search: [Google]
meldyva-1.png
6KB, 333x293px
>>3085852
>that roman battle against Carthage where the guys just take off because they think the Romans already won and go to the next town to brag about their victory while Rome is getting its ass handed to it
>>
>>3085934
you idiot revisionists ignore the fact that, save a weakness on the right causing moltke to pull the germans back the plan nearly succeeded.
>>
>>3086405
It has a name you know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Trebia
>>
>>3086435
Except for the fact that it was nowhere near succeeding and posited that France would fold within six weeks, at which point the German forces would actually be behind Paris and striking it from the northwest, a position they were absolutely nowhere near and on the end of their logistical tether just getting to about half the distance.

The Schlieffen plan was an utterly unworkable mess; if anything, Von Moltke saved it and dragged it back into the realms of operational plausibility.
>>
>>3086346
Wehrmacht did that in WW2.
>>
>>3086961
>on foof
>>
>>3087078
Yes? Did you think they had trucks or something?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.