[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the city of Carthage just burned and sacked or was the city

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: ced.jpg (242KB, 986x1369px) Image search: [Google]
ced.jpg
242KB, 986x1369px
Was the city of Carthage just burned and sacked or was the city seriously physically obliterated to the point where there weren't two stones on top of each other left, as some say?
>>
>>3084426
Probably, there are no buildings from The pre Roman layer afaik
>>
Well except for The tophet but That's a cemetery/burial ground
>>
I think it was just burned/sacked but then when the Romans built over it they demolished way more of the foundations than the army did. Though I might be misremembering. Read that "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" book if you want a good detailed account that goes over archaeology and shit.
>>
Carthage never existed. Rome made it up to give themselves an enemy to triumphantly defeat.
>>
>>3084634
>making yourself look like a weak bitch to godly Hannibal
Would they really make themselves look so helpless?
>>
>>3084650
To show they overcame somebody so brilliant. They wanted some turning point
>>
>>3084426
It was sacked pretty thouroughly, very very little from the pre-Roman era survives, but the area was such a good port and in such a strategic area the city could never really be abandoned.
I don't get why the Romans didn't change its name, especially given their obsession with damnatio memoriae.
>>
>>3084804
>crosses the alps with unnecessary giant food gobblers
>brilliant
>>
>>3084893
>Implying that wouldn't baffle his enemies that he got elephants over the alps
>>
>>3084910
How did I imply that
>>
>>3084650
Yes. Rome kinda made a habit to dismiss the enemies that really troubled it, and glorify those who weren't really much of a problem. Like say, the persians were non-entities, but Mithridates? A scourge. Nevermind his armies scattered in front of the legions like ants in front of a cruel child.
>>
>>3084893
>Elephants
>Unnecessary

I bet you think elephants weren't effective in warfare.
>>
>>3084893
> implying feeding 37 elephants really matters when you have 90,000 humans
>>
>>3087646

It does matter when they panic and trample your own troops.
>>
File: 1446788973255.jpg (29KB, 286x346px) Image search: [Google]
1446788973255.jpg
29KB, 286x346px
>>3084426
Nah, no burning. They just bombed it.
>>
>>3084426

I will tell you this: "Salting the Earth" doesn't actually do anything. Yes, the city was completely destroyed, but crops would still grow just fine.
>>
>>3087648
The trick is to get them into the enemy first. Then you would see their worth. Especially if they've never fought elephants before.
>>
>>3087652
Not to mention utterly counter intuitive. I don't understand why people are so attached to the idea that the Romans thought it would be funny to utterly ruin the greatest aspect of the land they just conquered. No, they wanted that for themselves and they took it so they could use it.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.