[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you say related to Julius Caesar deserves the bigger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Jcaesar.jpg (153KB, 800x1267px) Image search: [Google]
Jcaesar.jpg
153KB, 800x1267px
What would you say related to Julius Caesar deserves the bigger spotlight of examination, his campaigns/battles or the politics surrounding and involving him?
>>
>>3083544
I feel as though both are one in the same and cannot be viewed separately when analyzing the man
>>
>>3083544
they need to do more examinations on population in Gaul and Britain during his campaigns, some historians claim he over exaggerates the numbers of soldiers he faced

but when you read Livy and Tacticus his numbers don't seem exaggerated at all
>>
I honestly, sincerely don't get why he is so hyped together with Alexander the Great and Napoleon. Were the Gauls all that? Explain to me like I'm a retard.
>>
>>3083569
The guy turned the world upside down just like those two.
>Incredible orator (second to Cicero), politician and writer
>one of the greatest military commanders in history

Gauls were feared by the Romans because combined they were as strong and with arguably better cavalry. With maneuvering and smart decision making he took advantage of how divided the tribes were. Eventually he went up against a united Gaul led by Vercingetorix that culminated at the famous battle of Alesia (which he was outnumbered five to one). Crossed the Rubicon and then there's the Civil War against Pompey and the Battle of Pharsalus (outnumbered two to one). Of course there's also the measures he took for the people, who loved him. He also had a unique personality and this you can see on display for example when he was captured by pirates. He was told his ransom and he laughed and said he was worth more than that. He even told them after the ransom that he would have them crucified and he did.
>>
>>3083720
Added to this, the Gauls held a very big psychological presence for the Romans, as did really any barbarian invasions that came over the Alps prior to Caesar's conquest of Gaul.

Although the Cimbrian war of Marius' era was Germanic in character, the initial destruciton of Roman armies before Marius made his reforms still cast a shadow over the Roman psyche.

In conquering Gaul, the same people that had sacked Rome, Caesar laid some of those ghosts to rest and established Roman supremacy north of the Alps.
>>
File: calendar.jpg (177KB, 847x643px) Image search: [Google]
calendar.jpg
177KB, 847x643px
>>3083569
>I honestly, sincerely don't get why he is so hyped

he was kind of a big deal
>>
Read his commentaries on the Gallic wars. He was a brilliant propogandist, writing in simple latin to be understood by common folk, highlighting individual soldiers in places, mythological allusions, comparing himself to alexander and Cyrus, ect. Even if he exaggerates his strategic brilliance he sure portrays himself well and played off his defeats spectacularly
>>
>>3083720
>>3084436
I think most casual (and I mean casual as in they know some names and broad strokes of the events and eras) history fans think of Gaul as like some vast area that Caesar simply marched through, fought a couple battles, and conquered overnight.
The fact of the matter is that broadly speaking the gauls were to the Republic what the germanic tribes would be to the late Empire.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.