[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What caused continental philosophy to become to laughingstock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 30

File: 121.png (769KB, 1398x806px) Image search: [Google]
121.png
769KB, 1398x806px
What caused continental philosophy to become to laughingstock of the intellectual world? Was it their unwillingness to side with science?

Also who are you favorite analytical philies?
>>
>>308340
>>308340
>Why do people who agree with me share my distaste for a certain group
hurr durr

It is and isn't a laughing stock depending on the university you are in, even down to the department.

Also
>implying the historical context of a philosophy isn't incredibly important.

Why is more important than when and what.
>>
They thought that by writing gibberish, they would appear smart. Eventually, people started parsing their texts... To find out it had no meaning.
>>
>>308373
Find me one example of a continental text that is "nonesense".
And I will show you how you have completely failed to understand it.
>>
According to the 'great analytic philosopher' Quin the analytic divide never happened and the entire philosophical basis for analytic is nonsense.

Than the other 'great analytic philosopher' Rorty said that we should just stop doing philosophy and base our decisions off novels and
"and scientific and philosophical methods form merely a set of contingent "vocabularies" which people abandon or adopt over time according to social conventions and usefulness"

The 'great analytic philosopher' Wittgenstein BTFO Russel and logical positivism in general.

The field refutes itself.
>>
>>308393
http://www.physics.nyu.edu/sokal/dawkins.html

>In the first place, singularities-events correspond to heterogeneous series which are organized into a system which is neither stable nor unstable, but rather 'metastable', endowed with a potential energy wherein the differences between series are distributed... In the second place, singularities possess a process of auto-unification, always mobile and displaced to the extent that a paradoxical element traverses the series and makes them resonate, enveloping the corresponding singular points in a single aleatory point and all the emissions, all dice throws, in a single cast.
>>
>>308340
>thinking there is still a divide between continental and analytical philosophy.
This is how I know you're an undergrad.
>>
File: 1385195296983.jpg (78KB, 832x584px) Image search: [Google]
1385195296983.jpg
78KB, 832x584px
>>308426
>richard dawkins
>>
>>308340
>analytical has a fedora
Jej
>>
>>308393
all of it
>>
>>308373
Pretty much this, but continental philosophers have a trick up their sleeves. When you point this out to them, they will just say you don't really understand them, because they're so full of shit no one but (conveniently) continental philosophers can really understand them.
>>
When people realized that continental philosophy is just an excuse to write about your feelings and ignore facts and logic under the assumption that coherency and truth is a microaggression
>>
File: 1447630435324.png (687KB, 1242x512px) Image search: [Google]
1447630435324.png
687KB, 1242x512px
>>308512
>facts and logic
love this meme buzzword combination
>>
>>308426
So you have cherry picked a genuine charlatan to represent continental philosophy?
>>
>>308471
Is Foucault gibberish?
>>
>>308517
That's a nice thought, Jimmy. Unfortunately for you, reality and grown ups don't care about your feelings.
>>
File: 1448416652494.jpg (97KB, 1200x1126px) Image search: [Google]
1448416652494.jpg
97KB, 1200x1126px
>>308537
Says the 16 years old Dawkins boy.
>>
>>308542
Looks like your feelings are wrong again, Jimmy. I am not the Dawkins poster. But that's okay, because in your continental hugbox, there are no facts, just buzzwords and memes and feelings.
>>
>>308519
Isn't Deleuze quite popular among the continental folk?
>>
>>308414
6/10 made me laff
>can't discern the difference between analytic statements and analysis
>thinks Rorty is considered an analytic philosopher, let alone a great one
>implying modern analytic philosophy is even remotely like logical positivism
any other pop figures you'd like to recite, further demonstrating your complete lack of understanding with regards to any ACTUAL modern philosophers?
>>
So, what do Epicurus of Epicureanism, Seneca and Marcus Aurelius of Stoicism, and Diogenes the Cynic all come under? What about Plato and Aristotle?

Moving ahead a little bit, what about Hobbes, Locke, and Machiavelli?

Gödel, Escher, Bach by Hofstadter?

Which, if any, are continental, and which are analytic? I can't tell. I don't know the definitions of these two types of Philosophy well enough.
>>
File: 1446342505254.gif (351KB, 213x222px) Image search: [Google]
1446342505254.gif
351KB, 213x222px
>>308552
Looks like your autism is kicking in again Pertti. But that's okay, because in your analytic yard, there are no facts, just aspergers and memes and ad hominem.
>>
File: 1448067317004.png (120KB, 1177x437px) Image search: [Google]
1448067317004.png
120KB, 1177x437px
>ANALytic """philosophy"""
>>
>>308582
>Seneca and Marcus Aurelius of Stoicism
>Not mentioning Epictetus

Seneca and Marcus Aurelius were not great Stoics. Epictetus and Musonius were.
>>
>>308618
>Seneca and Aurelius were not great stoics

Are you sure, senpai? Seneca was the bee's knees
>>
>>308618
Also, you didn't answer the question, senpai.

Baka.
>>
>>308668
Yeah.
Seneca was not even a complete stoic. Marcus Aurelius was a student and the Meditations are just his exercises, not a complete philosopher.
>>
>>308591

The thrust of your argument is calling people
autistic and yelling "SAMEFAG"

And they're calling you an irrational feels not realz loonie.

The first is proving the second quite succinctly, anon.
>>
File: 1444150104990.png (3KB, 284x115px) Image search: [Google]
1444150104990.png
3KB, 284x115px
>>308723
>implying I'm making an argument
autism everyone
>>
>>308426
>shit happens
>>
>>308340
Pretty sure scientism is the laughingstock of the intellectual world.
>>
>>308512
>facts and logic
You can both just stop pretending you even consider these in your arguments
>>
>>308743

Well it isn't trolling anon, because you sound extremely bitter.

I AM autistic and even I can see that.
>>
>>308790
We know you don't. That's why we laugh at you.
>>
File: 1448035196808.jpg (77KB, 864x540px) Image search: [Google]
1448035196808.jpg
77KB, 864x540px
>>308799
>I AM autistic and even I can see that
xD
keep responding, feed me some facts and logics
>>
>>308582
ancient and even modern (1600-1800) philosophy precede the dichotomy
hostadter is a commercial laughing stock and is not even considered a philosopher
>>
File: 1391571120749.png (12KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
1391571120749.png
12KB, 560x407px
>>308615

>Continental: I am cool guy

>Analytic: Le neckburd meme

This is pretty weaksauce continentfags
>>
What exactly is this "continental gibberish" supposed to be? Who is it supposed to apply to?

The only one I can think of is Heidegger.
>>
>>308876
Derrida.
>>
I don't know that continental philosophy is unwilling to side with science, I think it just aims to be relevant to different sorts of things--e.g. literary theory. It's just not trying to be science's little buddy as hard as analytic philosophy, for better or worse.
>>
>>308525
dude yes. he is known for just cherrypicking information that works for his advantage
>>
>>308818
I'm imagining a five year old laughing at the word 'wee'.

>>308887
Derrida is shit. Saying that is music to my ears. Deconstruction is a farce and meaning is not a neat theory of contrasts.
>>
>>308951
I would agree, but then some shit comes along and says that the penis is the square root of minus 1.

And of course it's a continental philosopher! Sometimes I think analytical philosophers have to spread their wings and take over literary theory too. You just can't be trusted with it.
>>
Man this thread is complete shit.

I personally hate continental philosophy, though I do think that I must have not understood plenty of it properly. It can't be that so many intelligent people considered it good for no reason...

However, I am completely sure that at least the following elements are extremely negative:
> obscurantism
> lack of emphasis on consistency
> (sometimes) reliance on psychoanalysis
> fucking Zizek
>>
File: continentalphilosophy.jpg (75KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
continentalphilosophy.jpg
75KB, 850x400px
>>308951
>>
File: 1448576896711.jpg (23KB, 249x265px) Image search: [Google]
1448576896711.jpg
23KB, 249x265px
>>308959
I'm imagining a greasy manchild getting triggered on an anonymous shitpost exchange forum because someone took a shit on his favourite meme "philosophy".
>>
>>308970
Man, fucking Lacan...
>>
>>308978
> (sometimes) reliance on psychoanalysis
That by itself is already evidence that there is something wrong with it. Psychoanalysis is complete bullshit.
>>
>>308997
>Psychoanalysis is complete bullshit.

Mostly, but not completely. Can you explain why certain psychoanalitic treatments work better than, for example, CBT ones?

Lacan and Freud are definitely bullshit though.
>>
>>308979
I mean, I could quote Fodor on evolution.
>>
>>308979
WHY
>>
Both are shit. Plato was right about pretty much everything anyway.
>>
File: time to die.gif (640KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
time to die.gif
640KB, 245x180px
>>308979
That's it, I can't take it anymore...
>>
>>309005
That's always been the thing with psychoanalysis. Even Freud recognized he was just making shit up to a certain degree, but it worked. It was hard to argue with results. Wittgenstein wrote some interesting things on Freud to that effect.
>>
>>308979
>e=mc2 is a sexist equation
all is lost
we are the last men
the hollow men
>>
>>309005
>psychoanalitic treatments work better than, for example, CBT ones
no they don't. Just look at how backwards France is with respect to autism because of psychoanalysis.
>>
Continental is GOAT for life philosophies even if they aren't "scientific" (whatever that means), but the intentionally incomprehensible language is definitely shit tier, as is all the post-modern CANCER like Derrida.

Nietzsche represents the best of continentals imo, but the whole movement seems to have played itself out. Materialism has won, people only live their lives to have ebin good jobs and be "useful" for society.
Then again analytic philosophy was massively plagued by problems itself.

In the end Wittgenstein was right, philosophy is kill, we Last Man now.
>>
>>308980
Your desperate image-spam ''''trolling'''' is more bothersome than enraging.

>>308979
Dare I ask if this woman even considers why people say e=mc2 is important? Does an equation mean anything to this woman?
>>
File: James.jpg (517KB, 1053x1737px) Image search: [Google]
James.jpg
517KB, 1053x1737px
>muh analytic continental fight
>2015
>not being a pragmatist
>>
>>309005
Uh? I have never heard of psychoanalysis beating CBT.

See here, for example:

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.ajp.2013.12121511

>Two years of psychoanalytic psychotherapy and 5 months of CBT with follow up visits for bulimia nervosa were compared. The proportions of patients who had stopped binging and purging at 2 years were 15% for psychoanalytic psychotherapy and 44% for CBT.
>>
>>309021
Freud style psychoanalysis doesn't work. It is the equivalent of bloodletting.
>>
File: 1447872542684.jpg (56KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1447872542684.jpg
56KB, 450x450px
>>309033
>pragmatism

Disgusting.
>>
>>309005
>Lacan and Freud are definitely bullshit though.
And they are the ones that influenced Continental Philosophers.
>>
>>308997
Psychoanalysis has only really been sustained as a form of art criticism and as a series of very specific and refined forms of therapy that I can't really comment on.

Even it's influence on continental philosophy has a lot more to do with how said philosophies regard the patterns in the things a culture produces and assigns value to than it does it as a model of how the human mind operates.

For example, how the id/ego/superego structure becomes a go-to dynamic between ficticious characters.
>>
>>309025
> I say there are SOME problems which psychoanalysis is more successful treating
> You reply with an example of a case in which it is not

You sure you like analytic philosophy that much? Because it doesn't seem you're very good at following the logical structure of the argument.

In any case, there are many mental illnesses/problems which are best treated with other approaches (all phobias or anxieties for example), but that doesn't change the fact that psychoanalysis is the most effective approach in plenty of cases.
>>
>>309049
In which cases psychoanalysis beats CBT?
>>
>>309038
I suppose that's true, in the same sense a placebo doesn't work. From a pop-sci source:

>A German-born psychologist who spent most of his life in Great Britain, Eysenck is likely best remembered for his work on intelligence, personality, and genetics. He is less well-known as a major critic of psychoanalysis despite this being where he most influential. In 1952, he published one of the first comprehensive reviews (link is external) looking at research studies evaluating psychoanalysis and other psychotherapies. Based on the limited number of studies available, Eysenck concluded that only 44% of psychoanalysis patients receiving Freudian treatment showed any kind of real improvement over a five-year period. Though the numbers were somewhat higher for eclectic therapy (64%), the improvement rate was still well below the 72% rate for patients treated in hospitals or by general practitioners.
>>
>>309039
Pragmatism has its uses.

It's not an ugly tradition. It's just a very stunted way of thinking. Like engineers versus scientists.

Then again may be we need some pragmatism to clean the outhouse of all the post-structuralist shit.
>>
>>309049
I believe it was personality disorders/negative patterns and some other conditions like depression (so more general, emotional ones).
>>
>>309068
this is actually a reply to >>309056
>>
>>309029
The only sensible post in tHis thread
>>
>>309039
Man pragmatism is great, what are you talking about.
>>
>>309064
>Pragmatism has its uses.

Heh.
>>
>>308978
zizek is not a philosopher.
>>
>>309068
>I believe it was personality disorders/negative patterns and some other conditions like depression (so more general, emotional ones).

Which personality disorders?
In the case of depression, I have never seen psychoanalysis beating CBT.
>>
>>309049
Says the guy using weasel words. Maybe you should list where psychoanalysis surpasses CBT. The only place where I can think it surpasses CBT is in ideology hackery. Where ideological hacks make use of psychoanalysis to claim that the population is under mass delusions or false consciousness.
>>
>>309084
Eh, he's basically an extension of Baudrillard's more fragmented writing.
>>
The most that was found was Psychoanalysis getting a tie with CBT in the case of depression.

But then, this mostly shows CBT is not working well in treating depression, not that Psychoanalysis works.
>>
>>309085
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qnh-LN18JrdkI2ZVVXdmpFX1U/view
>>
Analytic philosophy is too afraid of overstepping its rationalist borders and therefore produces nothing worthwhile.
'Continental' philosophy, it could be said, hasnt been afraid enough of such borders.
That being said, the divide doesnt really matter anymore because Philosophy as a whole is making way for Neuroscience, which produces easier results foe technocrats and stemlorda to work with.
>>
I don't see why you think either of them are respectable?
Russell and Deleuze are both about as big frauds.
>>
>>308582
Really there's only one field. It's called philosophy. You can divide philosophers up into categories to help talk about them better but there is no real divide. All philosopher is a lineage, a current philosophers ideas are going to be an expansion of a previous one's who was an expansion of a yet older one.

Divisions in philosophy "existential" "pre-socratic" "analytic" are categories made for the sake of the reader. They categories are pretty arbitrary.

No one actually takes the continental/analytic divide seriously. However there are people that want to basically pretend like the past 150 years of philosophy never happened and they are part of a special snowflake philosophy.
>>
>>308360
>It is and isn't a laughing stock depending on the university you are in

Lol dude like that's a good indicator of anything lately
>>
Continental and analytic are both profoundly autistic at their worst but has analytical philosophy ever accomplished fucking ANYTHING out here in the real world?
>>
>>309546
It proved the existence of God
>>
This thread is just shit.

Many philosopher professors will tell you that the difference between analytic and continental philosophy is non-existent these days.
>>
>>308340
Has there been a great philosopher in the past 50 years?
70 years?
I honestly can't think of any big names although I admit I generally don't spend a whole lot of time on philosophers anyway.
>>
>>309550
lmao
>>
>>309569
Most famous philosophers right now are probably Zizek and Dennett. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>309581
>Zizek
rambles about random shit
>Dennett
literally thinks that he's not conscious and neither is anyone else
>>
>>308519
>Deleuze
>a charlatan

how does it feel to be stuck in your striated spaces, baka
>>
File: 1448458102805.png (246KB, 680x623px) Image search: [Google]
1448458102805.png
246KB, 680x623px
>>308340
>"because contemporary philosophy is relevant right guys?"
>>
>>309546
I would say the value of analytic philosophy is stemming the flow of nonsense from philosophy and questioning nonsense that already exists. One could say that it is part of the Anglo traditions of empiricism and pragmatism which are probably the two most important systems of thought for shaping the modern world.
>>
>>309033
>James
>pragmatism

His pragmatism has a lot of mystical baggage, I blame him for enabling neo-pragmatists like Rorty.
>>
>>308340

"Philosophers" who spend their time lambasting continental or analytic philosophy are generally incompetant. Most good analytic philosophers simply accept that they are doing something different from continental philosophers and vice versa. Most philosophers also dabble in both schools.

Something funny is that one of the better logicians I know specializes in Nietzsche, Heideggar, and Kierkegaard.

In the real world Philosophy is about intellectual charity and doing really interesting intellectual work, without worrying so much about "schools" of thought or anything like that.

>>308979
That's more of a feminist thing than a continental thing.
>>
>>309118
>That being said, the divide doesn't really matter anymore because Philosophy as a whole is making way for Neuroscience, which produces easier results foe technocrats and stemlorda to work with.

And the horrible reality is that most of their shit is hopelessly compromised and useless due to mistakes that only philosophers could help them with, kinda a bitter irony.
>>
>>310290
>That's more of a feminist thing than a continental thing.

It's pretty quintessentially continental, other continental philosophers are capable of statements exactly the same but with nothing nothinging, etc. They are the kings of Language on Holiday, muddying all waters and using terminology where it makes literally 0 sense.
>>
>>310290
>Most philosophers also dabble in both schools.

You have no idea how wrong you are.
>>
>>310309
such as
>>
>>310290
>Most philosophers also dabble in both schools.

You have no idea how wrong you are. Philosophers from one school who even know the names of contemporary philosophers from the others are vanishingly in number.

Also Kierkegaard really isn't "continental", you shouldn't apply the distinction retroactively like that. He was writing in an entirely different backdrop.
>>
>>310330
Problems of identity, hard or soft consciousness, mind/body identity theory, etc, all of these are vitally important and it's fun to read neuroscience journals and see them mix up their terms again and again producing meaningless results.

You need to at least work out what the fuck you think the "mind" is before you continue in this field, most neuroscientists seem to switch their definitions even mid sentence.
>>
>>308340
>What caused continental philosophy to become to laughingstock of the intellectual world?

We let the plebs read the texts (they obviously can't understand them and yet they think they do) and talk back.

Many ancient philosophers believed that democracy is bad - now that degeneracy is everywhere, philosophy became a laughing stock... I wonder why?

Also we let them infest our universities.
Philosophy shouldn't be teached to the majority.
Quality over quantity.

>Was it their unwillingness to side with science?

No.

>Also who are you favorite analytical philies?

Analytical philosophy is an abomination.
While it has its merits, it's one of the reason of philosophy's downfall.

Philosophy is meta-science and it should remain so.

Also the world needs philosophy again.
It could give us a rational compass... something that we lost.
>>
File: cont.jpg (32KB, 264x400px) Image search: [Google]
cont.jpg
32KB, 264x400px
>>310697
The world does not really need philosophy and Continental philosophy is the source of the degeneracy. What the masses lack is a decent descriptive understanding of the world, philosophy does not help with this in any meaningful way.
>>
>>310780

The masses need philosophers.

Philosophy is a skill; to understand human nature, society, civilization, culture on a meta-scientific level.

It's basically what politics should be about.

People don't ned to understand philosophy - that's the philosophers' job.

Trust me when I say: this world needs wisdom, more than ever.
Human societies act like headless chickens.
There's chaos and stupidity everywhere.

As a philosopher I can say: you're right, many philosophers (continantal ones, even) were degenerate, useless scums with nonsensical systems.
You're right!

That's why I chose not to stay at the academy in my country, for example: philosophy at the universities are useless.
I despise them.

Yet I believe that humanity needs real philosophers; a wise leadership.
Maybe this is the only thing that could save us...

... or some kind of religion, if people chose not to trust philosophers.
>>
>>309569
Pragmatist philosophers did a greatly important work, and their philosophy is actually still valuable.
>>
>>311112
Ehat you are saying is thay we need the Greek/Roman philosophers back?
Frankfurt school and French philosophers are influential enough.
>>
File: DFW7.jpg (3KB, 124x118px) Image search: [Google]
DFW7.jpg
3KB, 124x118px
>tfw I don't know anything about philosophy
>tfw don't know what the distinction is between 'analytic' and 'continental'
>tfw just like watching you guys shit on each other and get butthurt
>>
>>308748
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wT9XS_TvzQ
>>
>>308340
It is very unphilosophical and unprofessional to put a certain form of thought on a pedestal and try to ridicule the "opposition" on baseless assumptions that only make you look like a tool to anyone but people as ignorant and in dire need of attention such as you.
>>
>>308615
>continentals
>knowing anything about science and math
>>
>>308426
Hilarious meme mate mind if I download it??
>>
>>308852
Name ONE analytic philosopher than has ever had sex in his entire life even once
>>
>>310323
No you're very wrong kid, I know at least 4 in my department who do.
>>
>>311213
Jesus Christ, it's like he's trying to be the biggest meme head of state.
>>
>>308340
Can someone explain the difference between the two? Afaik analytic philosophy is basically logical positivism
>>
>>311704

A simplified, but mostly correct explanation:
Analytical is similar to Mathematics. It is all about logic. Dominates American and English Philosophy Departments (along with those that study the Classics, that are also worthwhile).
Continental is similar to what they do in "victim studies". Structures of oppression and all that crap. It is more social activism than an area of study. And then, they also have those that write incomprehensible crap without any meaning.
>>
>>311721
Thanks for the totally unbiased explanation
>>
>>311721
Don't act like an authority when you have no idea what you're talking about. Heidegger (a member of the Nazi Party) was hardly a social activist.
>>
>>311738
Yeah, Heidegger was the one that wrote
>incomprehensible crap without any meaning.

The second type of continental philosophy.
>>
>>311745
So one of the most studied philosophers of the 20th century was completely un-understable and meaningless?

Gee, I guess Heidegger has been refuted by an autist on the 'chon.
>>
>>311112
>>310697

Basically this. Philosophy is not only meta-science, it's meta-everything. It takes a very broad subject (say the whole of human society) and tries to create some grand theory that ties it all together. If it's a good theory it can provide direction for every field that studies the concept, if it's a bad theory than you toss it out and start the philosophy process all over again.

Philosophy is important because it's a thread that ties everything together. Like a thread it's very easy to miss if you aren't looking close, but without it things start to fall apart. For instance, philosophy is the only department that find solutions to something like a lack of meaning or sweeping nihilism. You could mention something like nationalism or art as alternative departments but these too need some meta-analysis to push them along.

For the people that scream "Society is degenerate now. Why can't we just go back to how things were in the 50s" or some other wishful thinking. If you want to change the world you need to provide the world reasons why we should do this, which is what philosophers SHOULD be doing. But philosophy is in a state of decay. The so called 'analytics' really don't analyze much, they try to avoid the big important questions because those questions can't be solved with algebra. Than you have ones that just want to cover their ears and pretend like these giant problems don't even exist, they are just "language problems". As if all the sickness in the world is because people aren't clarifying their terms. In general we are not getting the solutions philosophers "should" be giving us. Not just the 'analytics' but philosophy in general seems to have lost site of what's goal was.

Part of it can be placed to making philosophy pleb-approved. You dumb down anything when it has to be relevent for the masses, in the past philosophy was something for the scholarly upper-class. Thanks to that we have the age of pop-philosophy.
>>
>>311745
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/heidegger/ - So the scholars who wrote this completely misunderstood Heidegger? Better go tell them it's actually incomprehensible crap without any meaning.
>>
File: Correct.png (172KB, 1242x512px) Image search: [Google]
Correct.png
172KB, 1242x512px
>>
>>311776
Analytics are pedophiles?
>>
>>311757
In defense of analytic philosophers, at least they are completely useless.
Continental philosophers have an influence in our degeneracy.
>>
File: averageyuro.png (333KB, 579x568px) Image search: [Google]
averageyuro.png
333KB, 579x568px
>>311757
Basically you are arguing that philosophers should tell people how to live their lives because people are incapable of doing this themselves. Never heard of this before...
>>
>>311757
Lmao shut up trip
>>
>>311804
>people are capable of running their own lives
>>
File: a.jpg (115KB, 1600x1035px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
115KB, 1600x1035px
>>311810
>muh elites
>>
>>311816
>muh democracy
>>
>>311819
>muh sovereign
>>
>>311757
I agree with you except on two points:

1. Some philosophical questions are in fact nonsensical language games: mind body problem, free will, etc.

2. Philosophy can't be bad right now because it has been opened to the masses. It has been closed off in ivory towers now more than ever. It used to be that any intelligent and educated person could read and write philosophy. Now it's hyper-specialized.
>>
>>311822
>muh muh
>>
>>311804
most people just aren't good at living their lives very well.
>>
File: 1448111367879.jpg (137KB, 851x550px) Image search: [Google]
1448111367879.jpg
137KB, 851x550px
>>311776
>>
>>308340
>side with science
How do you do that?
And more importantly, how does analytic philosophy do that, do analytic philosophers agree with every scientist? Is that a precondition for calling your philosophy analytical? And what if a scientist says your philosophy is not analytical, do you agree or disagree?
>>
File: kek.jpg (40KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
40KB, 290x290px
>>308723

>And they're calling you an irrational feels not realz loonie.
> feels not realz loonie.

European here. Do they consider this guy an analytic philosopher in your country? I've never read anything by him.
>>
File: übermensch.png (94KB, 344x340px) Image search: [Google]
übermensch.png
94KB, 344x340px
>>311839
;^)
>>
>>310330
Jumping in unasked but to further a point by the other anon you might consider something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aPeWc7Um1A

Which if I understand correctly proposes that what we want to call "consciousness" does not end nor is limited to the personal body, but rather extends to outside environments and people. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. But if this guy were on to something then a huge number of neuroscientists would be continually barking up a wrong tree trying to find the promised golden neuron cluster in the brain that is responsible for all consciousness. "It's right here, that's you, we finally found it. Everything else is just a car around the driver."

Personally I think it's a bit suspicious that "our" ideas on consciousness in even the very serious branches of hard science seem to so heavily correlate with traditional western cultural-religious ideas of the human condition such as a singular true inviolate soul housed by imperfect flesh.
>>
>>311839
>tfw anglo and my face is closer to the left.
Nothing wrong with Rowan Atkinson though.
>>
>>308979
fun fact: no one can find this quote so there's reason to believe she never actually said it.
>>
>>311828
Everybody thinks that of everybody else though. There are areas of consensus that people agree on, but most of what we fight and argue over is our position in society and the respect we receive. People are constantly moving the goal posts, being contrarians, or trying to subvert the prestige of others.
>>
>>311863
fun fact: its from an extremely famous paper by Irigaray called "Is the Subject of Science Sexed?"
>>
File: trashman.gif (175KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
trashman.gif
175KB, 852x480px
>>311863
Fail to see why it is so hard to believe, Continental fags are constantly spewing over the top nonsense
>>
>>308340
Just stopping by to remind everyone that the difference between continental and analytic philosophy lies not in their perspective on science, but in their perspective on language. In other words, this thread is pleb-tier horseshit.
>>
>>311879
no it isn't. I have read the paper and e=mc^2 is never mentioned.
>>
File: dasein.jpg (29KB, 306x391px) Image search: [Google]
dasein.jpg
29KB, 306x391px
We should use analytic philosophy for metaphysics and epistimology, continental for ethics and aesthetics
>>
>>311909
>heidegger pic
>analytic metaphysics
wat?
also, wittgenstein has proven that analytical metaphysics doesn't work.
>>
>>311909
>Greeks, Romans, early Christians and Kant for ethics
>>
>>311905
>>311879
>>311863
frenchfag here, very famously sokal and bricmont attacked her for this quote (and for otherwise saying that fluids are feminine so fluid mechanics is unapproachable from a male perspective) which she DID include in either "is the subject of science sexed" OR "to speak is never neutral", however it was retracted in later editions of the work
>>
>>311929
Sounds about right to me
>>
File: trashman.jpg (31KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
trashman.jpg
31KB, 300x400px
>>311939
>Kant for ethics
>>
>>311804
Did you miss the point where I said plebs shouldn't bother with philosophy. Power is invisible, kiddo. A philosopher can come up with ideas, have it put into the various other fields, which in turn affects culture, and the masses will buy into the idea without ever knowing the philosopher existed. That's sort of how academia works, you control invisible power.

For instance your very idea that people should rule themself is rooted in Enlightenment philosophy.

>>311787
If you sit around and do nothing you will never make any mistakes you won't solve anything either. It would also be a mistake to use continental and analytic as anything more than loose labels.

>>311841
"Analytic" is a term that a group of special snowflakes call them-self. "Continental" is a word the snow flakes use to refer to everyone that is not them, the term is even being applied to philosophers that were writing before the 'analytic school' was formed. You can very much see this mentality with posters that just say "well that's continental so I'm going to ignore it and it's probably all sophistry anyway!" (literally every post about analytics on this board has just been attacking other philosophy, they don't actually discuss philosophy them-self)

The idea that one side is 'for science' and one is 'against' science makes zero sense. Consider that the scientific method was a result of taking philosophy from Bacon and Descartes. Analytic used to lean towards logical positivism as a requirement to be called an analytic. However logical positivism is dead so no one cares about that anymore (among the many people that killed it were Quin and Wittgenstein who were both analytics).

In modern philosophy even the 'analytic' admit that the label is largely superficial and no one takes the divide seriously.
>>
>>311959
>doesn't realize the massive influence Kants ideas had

Nope, we pulled universal human rights just straight out of our assholes!
>>
>>311973
The idea existed well before that, it was only after the enlightenment that the elites figured out that a rising tide raises all boats. Good luck keeping your philosophy invisible today, if the plebs have choice then your philosophy will be made visible to them when they constrast choices.
>>
File: immanuel-kant-1a.jpg (349KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
immanuel-kant-1a.jpg
349KB, 1500x1125px
>>311959
As a member of this online community it is my duty to respect your right to voice your opinions.

However, because I value the quality of the intellectual discourse on this forum it is also my duty to promote ideas that positively affect that discourse. This also includes denouncing ideas that have a negative influence.

Therefore, it is my duty to inform you that you are a faggot.

t. Kant
>>
File: 1448295238575.jpg (378KB, 1600x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1448295238575.jpg
378KB, 1600x1202px
>>311973
> Power is invisible, kiddo.

kek
>>
File: 1429731021351-1.png (319KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1429731021351-1.png
319KB, 803x688px
>>311909
>ethics
>>
>>311823
Every issue is a nonsensical language game.
>>
>>311112
>the world needs to be saved
I thought this was already antiquate by 1890.
>>
>>308360
>hurr durr
Hello reddit. You forgot to attach a "LE RAGE FACE" image to this post
>>
>>308340
Ya know, I've always wanted to make a division here where I put a handsome philosopher in his youth in continental and putting an image of bertenad russel with a nigger fucking a white women in the back ground in analytical.

wouldn't be too far from reality tbqh
>>
This is why I like reading Schopenhauer.
Everything he writes is intelligible. Except the fourfold root.
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.