[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if the cult of Mithras became the offical religion of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: mithras-temple-san-clemente.jpg (32KB, 678x431px) Image search: [Google]
mithras-temple-san-clemente.jpg
32KB, 678x431px
What if the cult of Mithras became the offical religion of the Roman Empire instead of christianity?
>>
>What if a warrior-noble religion instead of a slave religion became the official religion of the Roman Empire?

We wouldn´t have radical egalitarian ideologies, cuckoldry...
>>
>>3082549
This
>>
>>3082537
It would still collapse.
>>
>>3082557
>no jewish religion knawing away at its roots
Better chance of survival at least.
>>
Cult of Mithras or Sol Invictus?
>>
>>3082537
>>3082565
Neither Mithraism nor Sol Invictus was a strict monotheistic religion as Christianity was. There would be no denying of the existence of other gods.
Basically the question can be labeled as `what if Rome stayed pagan`.

Need I remind you after Constantine, even after Theodosius many of the empires adherents were still pagan, and we have evidence of pagan senators in the time of Justinian, ERE truly become Christian nation around late 500s, early 600s. Read Kenneth Harl, Renee Salzman, Edward Watts, Alan Cameron
>>
>>3082549
this
I wonder if would it has established organized Church like Christianity did?
>>
But anon, it did
>>
>>3082549
In what universe was Christianity "radical egalitarian" you clueless stormweenie?
>>
>>3084552
Well, it was sometimes interpreted in egalitarian way, like devotio moderna.
>>
>>3084560
>devotio moderna
That's not what "radical egalitarianism" means either.
>>
>>3082537
We would get Mithras Protestantism eventually.
>>
>>3084083
This. Paganism would just be the dominat religion and Neo-Platonism the dominat philosophy in Europe. Would be interesting possibility though
>>
>>3084083

From what I remember there were still a lot of pagans in the eastern empire, up until the time of Justinian.

The western parts were more heavily christianised in the centuries before.
>>
>>3084573
It was for its time. Leftism didn't came from nowhere. It is cherry picked Christian ideas. You can argue, that it didn't came from true Christianity, but people may not know it. Look how British wigs transfered from Calvinist fundamentalists to Labor Party.
>>
File: 1387733874031.jpg (140KB, 821x1226px) Image search: [Google]
1387733874031.jpg
140KB, 821x1226px
>>3084083
>Basically the question can be labeled as `what if Rome stayed pagan`
I disagree.
A henotheistic Rome that centered its religion around a deity such as Sol Invictus or Mithras would have been fundamentally different from what it was before.

I maintain that had Rome adopted a henotheistic state religion with Sol Invictus as the central deity (and the emperor as his earthly representative/avatar), the empire would not have fallen at all.
>>
>>3082537
prob never have gotten modern western values

for all the bad and corruption coming out of western enlightenment values now, I think everything that came from them in terms of personal liberty was for the good
>>
>>3082537
The cult of Mithras wasn't a religion like Christianity, which is to say that Mithraism wasn't an ideology. It couldn't "become the official religion of Rome" like Christianity did.
>>
>>3084083
>>3084588

These niggas is right.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.