[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /his/, So Historica Canada, a Crown corporation that�

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: o-ROB-FORD-900[1].jpg (91KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
o-ROB-FORD-900[1].jpg
91KB, 900x506px
Sup /his/,
So Historica Canada, a Crown corporation that's supposed to promote Canadian history, has been publishing these things called heritage minutes for a few decades now.

They're 1 minute snippets of Canadian history played during commercial time on Canadian programming.

Here's one on our first prime minister:

https://youtu.be/vBGNEJpznNE?list=PL1848FF9428CA9A4A

this is about the war of 1812:

https://youtu.be/CPqFcLTR2w8?list=PL1848FF9428CA9A4A
Here's a link to their channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcACdpePyiM&index=11&list=PL1848FF9428CA9A4A

Does your country do something similar? It would be interesting to see this style of history lesson of other countries.
>>
>>3074131
In the Baltic countries during the 90s the government forced back Baltic culture after the Soviet withdrawal. Not sure about any videos like this. Is this just to remind Canadians that they're not American?
>>
Posting Heritageminutekino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-FbwmzPKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00yaFwZ5bc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZDme90k5gY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L-vL5NFkYA
>>
>>3074131
I'm not aware of anything like this in America, but I think it'd be great.
>>
>>3074131
RIP Ford
>>
>>3074131
That's fuckin' rad, i wish we had these in Britain, the closest we've got to publically provided historical information are the BBC website articles, and the student resources.
>>
>>3076490
The John Mcrae one tho

In Flanders field's the poppies blow between the crosses row on row
That Mark our place and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below
>>
>>3076490
No holds barred either, they even talk about Canadian atrocities like residential schools
https://youtu.be/v_tcCpKtoU0

I think there's also one on exploiting Chinese labour on the railroad and interning japs during the war
>>
>>3076535
>, i wish we had these in Britain
Canada has at most 400 years of history starting with French discovery

You guys would have to have heritage hours to cover your history
>>
>>3076766
True, but it's not like there aren't certain events that you couldn't compress down into a minute (such as the dunkirk evacuations or the efforts made in bletchley park) and skimming through the comments historica canada also have an online encycolpedia covering this stuff in detail.

I'm gonna send a lettter to my MP about this.
>>
>>3076787
>dunkirk evacuations
That movie coming out looks rad.

Also I think these are particularly nice for Canada because our history is often over shadowed by British or American history even within Canadian society so this gives Canadians some basic lessons on Canadian historical figures and culture

But it's true there are many historic events in Britain that probably go overlooked in school and society
>>
File: IMG_9826.jpg (49KB, 341x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9826.jpg
49KB, 341x480px
>>3074131
FPMBPM
>>
>>3076896
Georges Cartier was a top lad too, too bad he wasn't PM #2

https://youtu.be/VcACdpePyiM
>>
>>3076516
This.
He was /ourguy/
>>
>>3076995
Rob Ford was the epitome of public service
>>
>>3076806
I actually choked up just reading the fucking tagline:

>When 400,000 men couldn't get home, home came for them.
>>
>>3076995
>>3077002
He actually did care about the city even if he was corrupt. He cut taxes and was a good friend to those who were close to him.
>>
>>3077009
The battle of France is over. I suspect that the battle of Britain is about to begin.
>>
There were a few good videos, like the ones about Sir George-Étienne Cartier and Sir John A. Macdonald. But literally everything else was Indians, women and other irrelevant nobodies who are only promoted because it's politically correct.

And every video has the text "Canadian Heritage" in the end. Seriously, what heritage? Trudeau Sr and Jr destroyed your heritage and now you're nothing but a consumerist and soulless hellhole with no identity. If you truly embrace your heritage, why not fly this flag?
>>
>>3077057
>If you truly embrace your heritage, why not fly this flag?
Because there was growing dissatisfaction with how the British were treating Canada after WWII and in the 60s Quebec was going through the quiet revolution and Canada needed something to bolster a single Canadian identity so dropping the union Jack was a start
>>
>>3077057
Because the Canadians are not English, Scottish, Irish, or French, they are Canadian, a different and unique identity with it's own history entwined with that of Britain, but not indentical.
>>
>>3077057
>non mainstream history is irrelevant
>>
>>3077075
t. Pierre Elliott Trudeau

There is no Canadian identity. It's made up bullshit based on destroying your own identity. National identity is more than tree leaves and multiculturalism, but Canada has done a hell of a good job at destroying it. Both of the people I mentioned would be spinning in their graves if they knew what kind of soulless shithole Canada has become.

>>3077082
Of course it's not, but literally all the videos other than those two where about women, injuns, dindus or chinks. It's white men who built Canada, why deny it?
>>
>>3077096
>white men who built Canada, why deny it?
Well the ones about the railroad are true, Canada imported a lot of labourers from China and they were poorly treated. The legacy of this is a chinese restaurant in a lot of rural communities along the railroad because families settled there. Confederation was done by white men but the point of these heritage minutes is to show that there was more to it than that. Are you even Canadian?
>>
>>3077096
I'm British, i've never even set foot on the fucking contient, and yet to some extent i know what Canadians like to do, their culture, their politics, their food, if i am to know these things, if i can point to things and identify them as canadian, then what else could that be if not a national identity?
>>
>>3077119
It's obvious you've never been here, your conception on Canadian identity is bizarrely archaic. Non European immigrants here adopt to Canadian culture fairly well because we don't have an ethnic identity; Quebec is maybe unique in this regard but even for Quebec they're more concerned with the French language rather than ethnicity. Canadians are just hockey loving beer drinking moose jockeys regardless of ethnic origin desu
>>
>>3077119
I've met Canadians who think like you and they're usually social pariahs. Canadians are more like come and enjoy these things Canadians enjoy not "come look how awesome our ethnic origins are"
>>
>>3076490
>tfw they're naming the new Halifax harbour ferry after Vincent Coleman.

I'm happy they're actually naming it after a real hero and not one of the other literal whos that were nominated.
>>
>>3077162
>Vincent Coleman
That's brilliant though, this guy is under appreciated
>>
>>3074131
Is there one about Billy Bishop?
>>
>>3077176
>>3077162
That's what I was trying to say. All the other candidates they floated were advocates and a mi'kmaq poet.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnr3gWgsdzQ&index=37&list=PL1848FF9428CA9A4A
>>
>>3077216
K serious question; why isn't Manitoba a French speaking province?
>>
>>3077119
Do you even fucking know Canadian slang bud?
>>
>>3077223
French speakers have always been a minority there. Not enough people speak it for it to granted the same official language status as in New Brunswick. As of the last census the number of native french speakers is ~4%.
>>
>>3077258
But the provisional gov of Louis riel was french speaking

Did the government of Canada just say English only in the Manitoba act or were the french speakers and metis outpopulated by new arrivals?
>>
>>3077266
Certainly French wasn't encouraged by the government, but I think new Anglophone settlers contributed more.
>>
File: 1494601618701.jpg (433KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1494601618701.jpg
433KB, 1000x1000px
>>3074131
>this is about the war of 1812
>there will never be a Tecumseh confederation of Indian nations as a buffer state between Ontario and Michigan
>>
The one about residential schools is sad
>>
Bump?
>>
>>3076490
Based Sam Steele

Yankees BTFO
>>
>>3077289
that dog is too depressing to look at to be a pet
>>
>>3079047
In canada men don't wear pistols
>>
>>3077096
There are gobs of these heritage minutes on white guys, are you sure you don't have some kind of persecution complex?
>>
>>3079172
His notion of Canadian heritage is strictly British heritage...

Quite frankly i enjoy the indian ones and women ones because they emphasise what we weren't taught in school
>>
>>3076932
>Tells Manitoba there will be a place for their people
>Manitoba has to take in Muslim Africans
>>
>>3077068
There was very little dissatisfaction. The real truth is that the empire couldn't afford to maintain itself and a narrative was created to dump Canada in a way that saved face.
>>
>>3077075
>Because the Canadians are not English, Scottish, Irish, or French
They were for 95% of it's history. BC kept the Pacific Asians from taking over until the feds put a stop to that, and now Vancouver is a Chinese territory and almost single-handedly destroyed the Canadian housing market.
>>
>>3077057
Because Canada is only a colony in image.
>>3077096
>canada has no identity because muh libruls
Eat shit.
Older Heritage Minute videos focused plenty on 'white men'. It's relatively recent for them to focus on others. I don't know why you have difficulties with this.
>>
>>3079345
Clearly not a Canadian posting this
>>
>>3079329
To be fair Manitoba was a tiny square when they joined confederation, now it's massive
>>
Hate to do an /r/ but I'm looking for a short dramatization like this.

There's some white settlers and some natives sitting around a fire, and the native starts out brow-beating the white guy about how his people were being killed off or driven away.
Then the white guy interjects and starts roasting the red man about how the native tribes had been feuding and killing each other for centuries, and this was no different.

Really trying to find this and I know for a fact it ain't no Heritage Minute.
>>
>>3079735
I've seen this before
>>
>>3076490
>>3077162
VINCE, WE GOTTA GOOOOOOO
[autistic telegraphing]
>>
File: ZomboMeme 14072017111941.jpg (54KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
ZomboMeme 14072017111941.jpg
54KB, 800x532px
>>3080892
>>
File: ZomboMeme 14072017111859.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ZomboMeme 14072017111859.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>3080937
>>
>>3075812
It's necessary because so much of our media comes from America
>>
>>3082100
So much this
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.