[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did NATO never attack Warsaw Pact? Were they afraid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1201112022_el121.gif (61KB, 283x385px) Image search: [Google]
1201112022_el121.gif
61KB, 283x385px
Why did NATO never attack Warsaw Pact?
Were they afraid of Soviet warrior?
>>
I think they were afraid of nuclear hellfire.
>>
>>3063149
Dark fire
NOW GYPSY IT'S YOUR TURN
>>
>>3063145
Mutually assured destruction is probably the best guess and that both the Soviets and NATO weren't run by a bunch of lunatics. Also for the fact that if the war didn't go nuclear until a few weeks later, expect hundreds of thousands of NATO/Soviet and Warpact casualties.
>>
>>3063152
THAT BURNING
DESIRE
>>
NATO doctrine assumed that the USSR would go on the offensive in West Germany, attacking through the Fulda Gap and over the North German Plain. NATO would have used nukes if the Soviets reached the Rhine.
>>
>>3063145
because of something called nuclear deterrence. a conventional war would lead to hundreds of thousands, if not a million or more casualties in the highly lethal battlefield of 1977-1987. Neither side's population would have a stomach for such carnage by that period of time, and it would end in stalemate with Europe and East Asia in ruins for a third time, and NATO wargames showed time and time again that if either side got tired of slogging it out and vaporized an armored division with a tactical nuclear device in the hopes of making the other side back down or give a negotiated peace, in every scenario this was tried it would lead to at the very least a proportionate nuclear response, which would almost inevitably escalate into strategic nuclear war and the destruction of the northern hemisphere, possibly a lot more.

we don't fight the Russians because even though we have an advantage in retaliatory nuclear attacks and missile defenses, that's still like saying Russia is a man up to his chest in a basement with 7 matches and America is a man in the same basement with ten matches, but the basement is filled chest-high with gasoline. nobody wins
>>
>>3063555
I'd agree with your assessment, but your analogy at the end is...interesting
>>
File: warsaw pact.png (40KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
warsaw pact.png
40KB, 220x220px
>>3063334
BE MINE OR WE'LL ALL BUUURN!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.