[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What cause the decline of classical city masterplanning? A Greco-Roman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

What cause the decline of classical city masterplanning?
A Greco-Roman city are traditionally planned in grid and centred on forum, basilica, temple, theatre, Colosseum, etc, this would later be replaced by organic asymmetrical growth masterplanning centred on castle/palace and city hall/volkshall, which is a more Germanic form rather than a Roman one, how did this transition happened? are there any city that still build in/retain Roman city function well after antiquity?
>>
>>3060248

the transition happened as the system that copy-pastad urban centres like that, and maintained roads and water infrastructure and trade and the army etc..., collapsed

the reversal to organic defensive implosion was a reaction to a doomsday scenario of crisis, invasion, depopulation and infrastructural collapse and sudden scarcity

much of the early middle ages is basicaly what a postapocalipse culture would look like after a generation
>>
File: constantinople.jpg (786KB, 1300x753px) Image search: [Google]
constantinople.jpg
786KB, 1300x753px
>>3060248
As far as I know, the only city that survives well into middle ages with this form is Constantinople
>>
Interesting... a style of city planning created and used by a specific culture disappeared when the said culture and its technological achievements disappeared. What a weird coincidence... Surely uneducated barbarians would've built similar regular cities, with theatres, colosseums...
>>
>are there any city that still build in/retain Roman city function well after antiquity?

Spanish cities in Latin America?
>>
>>3060400
>>3060288
Like bro just IMAGINE how advanced we would be if Rome never got destroyed by the Pope
>>
Isn't it just that the terrain upon which the settlements were founded changed?
Most Roman cities were built on a relatively flat terrain, as it would provide better access to roads and therefore trade routes. Most Medieval cities had to be built on hilltops as the plains became too vulnerable and they needed a high enough spot to monitor the movement of possible enemies.
Of course, you can't have a square city planning on a conical terrain like a hill, it'd make more sense to have a concentrical city planning following the hill's slopes and centered on a castle or a citadel.
>>
File: eixample.jpg (379KB, 1476x934px) Image search: [Google]
eixample.jpg
379KB, 1476x934px
>>3060416
I think Barcelona's Eixample is a great tribute to it. It gives a sense of structure to the city while not falling victim to the "rows upon rows" grid formation of NYC.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.