[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What niche of history are you obsessed with? >statistical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 282
Thread images: 51

File: IMG_4788.jpg (75KB, 750x421px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4788.jpg
75KB, 750x421px
What niche of history are you obsessed with?

>statistical ethnography of pre-20th century europe
>ottoman cuisine
>islam in the early united states
>>
Now that you mention it I am interested in that last topic, what shape did it take? were they violent?
>>
>>3059837
Not sure if it's really that niche, but Basque history in particular has always been my area of interest.
>>
>>3059837
Tell me a bit about Ottoman cuisine. It actually sounds pretty interesting and I wouldn't mind learning more about it.
>>
>>3059837

Like, the practice of Islam among black slaves?
>>
I enjoy reading censuses of various countries. Like the 1897 Russian Empire, for example.
>>
File: Lemberg_1915_Mariyska.jpg (61KB, 600x368px) Image search: [Google]
Lemberg_1915_Mariyska.jpg
61KB, 600x368px
Late XIXth/Early 20th century Mitteleuropa.
>>
Religion in Central Asia

Maybe it's not really that niche.
>>
Macedonian spears
>>
>>3059898
Just go to a Greek restaurant, ask for the authentic Greek meals and coffee and there you have it.
>>
>>3059837
Indian wars and their impact on the US Army
>>
I am interested in information dating to before the deluge as in the high tech aspect of it leading to directly after the the deluge as to where did the survivors go? I am also interested in type o negative blood lineage.
>>
The Great Game. Everything about it is fucking amazing. Spies and diplomats on the roof of the world, looking out upon barren Central Asian wastelands. Strategists at home devising the best and most efficient way to either conquer or defend India. Tense moments that could have easily collapsed to a war between Britain and Russia had it not been for a few key actors. Pundits being trained by the British to go in places too dangerous for any European to step foot in. All of it is interesting, and there are only a few dull moments in it. When the fighting and tensions were seemingly done in one area, the game would simply move to a new one.

Not to mention that many of the events in the Great Game could be used for today's leaders. 2 times(One Russian and One British) embassies were raided by angry locals in Afghanistan due to foreign meddling. That kind of news strikes me as something that I could have easily read within the past 20 years and yet it happened more than 150 years ago.
>>
>>3059837
I've never thought about this and now I'm extremely curious.
>>
File: 1-1095.jpg (515KB, 672x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1-1095.jpg
515KB, 672x1000px
>>3059837
Persian architecture
>>
>>3059837
While not extremely niche I always find the era just after the fall of Rome and just before the rise of the Carolingians very interesting. Still many peoples migrating around, schisms and conflicts within Christianity, and lots of interesting characters.
>Rise of the Frankish empire
>Rise of Islam
>Slavic migrations
>Roman-Sassanid wars
>Ostrogoths being defeated by the Eastern Roman Empire and the eventual migration of the Lombards into Italy
>Anglo-Saxon conquest of England
>Vandals and their eventual defeat by Belisarius
>Rise and fall of the Avars
>Turkish migrations and the replacement and assimilation of Iranian peoples in central asia
>Great generals like Belisarius and Khalid ibn al-Walid
>>
>>3059840
>hears islam
>even on a history board he has to try to warp every damn topic to fit his modern ideology

kill yourself
>>
Not sure if that niche, but maritime commerce and naval warfare in antiquity.
>>
>>3060398
It looks like you just answered his question, Muhammad
>>
>>3060322
That's a lot of niches.
>>
>>3060398
>were they violent?
>kill yourself

Case closed
>>
>>3060435
>>3060448
>You said kill yourself on 4chan hahah that's too much violence

Looks like I was right, white boys really are a bunch of pussies. Muslims have been killing my people for hundreds of years and I'm not that big of a faggot
>>
>dental hygiene in the late medieval times
>religions of african tribes and how they compare
>developments of monetary systems in the early middle ages
>shamans and early paleolithic religions view and thoughts on nature
>>
>>3060448
>>3060435
Leave by board you bunch of brainlets
>>
City planning in centralized states, especially public projects and how different areas melded together.

Sadly, I know fuck all about it.
>>
>>3060503
>>religions of african tribes and how they compare
Their pretty near consistent across the board imo. Read Robert H.Nassau's "Fetichism in West Africa." It's on gutenberg, I highly recommend it.
>>
>>3060533
*They're
Also loom for the writings of Mary Henrietta Kingsley. She also wrote about religion and Worship in West Africa. I have something somewhere about the South, but nothing on the East.
>>
>>3060533
Ah thank you for the recommendation, will look that up!
>>
>>3059837
>cold war 1970's
Very aesthetic
>>
>>3060533
Is it possible to get this in physical copy, the one published in 1904 still?
>>
>>3060516
Make me, baby
>>
>>3060721
Doubt it. I've mostly come across the reprints. Also look into a book titled ,"The Religious system of the Amazulu." This can be found online or as a reprint. Some older form may be available via England.
>>
>>3060470
If they've been killing your people and you don't them then you're just a cuck.
>>
>>3059837
Gallo-Roman societies in Southern France during the Early Middle Ages
Culture of the Taisho period and the sister movements in Europe etc
Pre-Imperial Chinese mores
>>
>>3060766
hmmm that is a shame, but thanks for the other recommendation, will check that out aswell.
>>
File: 1497529200266.jpg (72KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
1497529200266.jpg
72KB, 596x628px
>>3059837
Romans....
>>
>>3060398
Completely legitimate question you sperg
>>
>>3059837
Daily life of romans and their cuisine
Roman von Ungern-Sternberg
I am also obssesed about finding shitty things great leaders did.
>>
>>3060128
>gyros and other filthy shit

He should look at turkish cuisine.
>>
File: 1486232439257.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486232439257.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>>3059837
What is the best resource for learning about Ottoman cuisine?
>>
>>3060209
Glad to see you're still around
>>
>Shape and material of footwraps in Tatar usage and during the early Muscovite reign (not army; that would come with Peter the not-so-Great)
>Deep seated culture of homosexuality and pederast in Arab culture before the Muhammadan cult and it's amblificiation after it
>>
>>3059837
Development of firearms during the 19th and early 20th century. Bolt action rifles are my fetish.
>>
I like looking up military battles in major wars that were mostly insignificant and forgotten. If that makes any sense.
For a quick example, US-Japanese skirmishes before Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>3060775
What's with poltards and cucking? Do you have a fetish?
>>
Development of nuclear warfare, Mesopotamic civilizations, Golden Age of Piracy. Then anything related to Europe from XVIIth century onwards.
>>
>>3059837
ancient SEA history. interested in Thailand right now
>>
>>3062128
Have you read this?
>>
>The conquest of America
>>
>>3059837
the great game and russo japanese war
>>
>>3060209
This sounds neat. Any books you can recommend on the topic?
>>
The nuts and bolts of command economies.
>>
>>3063086
The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk is the eminent book on the subject and if you had to choose only one I'd tell you to read it. I would also suggest Tournament of Shadows by Karl Meyer and Sharon Brysac. It goes over many of the same things, as the Great Game though it also goes a bit more into the future. I think Hopkirk's book is a bit better due to how it deals with the origins and motives behind the Game. His writing style is also more interesting (though he can be a bit biased towards the British sometimes).

>>3062127
I'll admit that /his/ can be annoying at times, but man that thread was a lot of fun to do. It was a great way to relax at night. Seeing people like it so much was cool as well. I do wish other people would do stuff like it though, it would be interesting to see something like that from a viewers perspective. Anyway, thanks for remembering it anon. I'm rather surprised that you did considering that it's almost been a year.
>>
File: hehehe.jpg (58KB, 498x740px) Image search: [Google]
hehehe.jpg
58KB, 498x740px
>>3060516

*my
>>
File: Byzantium.png (601KB, 600x723px) Image search: [Google]
Byzantium.png
601KB, 600x723px
Byzantine empire during the Komnenian Dynasty, Ghorid invasion of India.
>>
Interwar period in Europe, especially in Eastern Europe.
>>
>>3060398
It's a legit question, it would be interesting to see if Islam was as violent as Christianity during the early days of the US.
>>
>>3060775
With reasoning like this it amazes me how you people even possess the intelligence to turn the computer on.
>>
>>3059837
East Asian force postures during the Cold War
Dreadnought-era naval doctrine
>>
File: 1464059345109.jpg (742KB, 600x975px) Image search: [Google]
1464059345109.jpg
742KB, 600x975px
Ancient Near-Eastern fashion.
>>
>>3064026
did they really frizzle their beards like that or was it only an artistic convention
>>
File: 1464059370301.jpg (678KB, 600x968px) Image search: [Google]
1464059370301.jpg
678KB, 600x968px
>>3064103
Pretty sure that's how they actually looked.
>>
File: aim[1].png (279KB, 915x606px) Image search: [Google]
aim[1].png
279KB, 915x606px
20th century and contemporary Native American history, particularly urban life. People act as if Indians ceased to exist after 1890.

You are now aware that the last instance of armed native resistance was at Wounded Knee... in 1973.
>>
>>3064103
People in East Africa style their hair like that too.
Not their beards but I don't see why it would have been impossible.
>>
>>3064384
What, not the Oka standoff in 1990?
>>
African secret societies - could be said to have and continue to shape the continent's history far more than colonialism and its after-effects.
German aristocracy in Russia.
Kaifeng Jews.
Crimean Goths.
>>
File: photochrom.jpg (748KB, 1688x1076px) Image search: [Google]
photochrom.jpg
748KB, 1688x1076px
>>3059837
>history of mormons
>lives of obscure presidents (Polk, Taylor, Arthur, etc.)
>pre-1900 photography
>>
>>3059837
>Life of peasants across all pre enlightment history, specially regarding moral anachronisms, communication, dependence on religion and folk myth and music.
>Classical (pre-islam) West Africa - The aesthetics and religions are particularly interesting
>Sengoku period Japan - Dumping 400 hours into sengoku musou will make it an adquired taste, also shintoism
>Heian Japan - GOAT art
>Pre Christian Europe - muh forest, muh gods, muh oaths
>World War I - I have no real way to explains it, something about it feels incredibly nostalgic.
>The evolution from hunting gathering groups to tribal societies
>>
>>3064957
Any good books on Kaifeng Jews or Crimean goths?
>>
military history, stormaktstid, WWII, cold war
>>
>>3064940
Sorry, anon. You are correct. Yank that I am, my focus is on Indians within US borders, but traditionally, such borders have meant little to the Indians.

>>3065021
I read an excellent biography on President Buchanan. Fucker gets a bad rap.

>>3065047
>Life of peasants across all pre enlightment history, specially regarding moral anachronisms, communication, dependence on religion and folk myth and music.
>Pre Christian Europe - muh forest, muh gods, muh oaths
I read that old Roman paganism was still being practiced in Charlemagne's day. That true?
>>
>>3063495
I loved that one. I kept the tab to that thread open for a couple of days, reading through bit by bit. Thank you
>>
>>3060186
super interdasting topics t b q h
>>
>>3059837
>Frontiersmen in the 1800s-1820s
>Whatever we know about the Guanche People
>Early Indo-European Migration to Northern Europe

Outside of the Frontiersmen, the other two fascinate because of what little we know about it
>>
>>3063495
high quality posts like yours make /his/ so interesting. My mind has been stimulated here.
>>
>>3065947
>tfw you were just literally randomly thinking today that frontiersmen of this period were the most interetsting just this very morning.
>>
File: intense mountain man gaze.jpg (32KB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
intense mountain man gaze.jpg
32KB, 720x304px
>>3065959
great minds think alike Anoninski
>>
File: tumblr_mhks9jn7DR1rlibjxo1_1280.jpg (269KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhks9jn7DR1rlibjxo1_1280.jpg
269KB, 1280x720px
>>3059837
Reading newspapers from interesting historical periods, issue to issue, linearly through time.
>>
>>3062153
Almost as if a massive part of their ideology stems from sexual insecurity.
>>
Fabric and textile during the 19th and 20th centuries
>>
>>3065980

I wonder what happened to that armor.
>>
Prepare for autism
>Ancient Roman cuisine
>Ancient Roman jokes
>Ancient Roman fap material
>Greek Ambrosia
>Central and northern Asian ethnography and religion
>Super ancient Asian shamanism (North, southeast, east,)
>Pillum
>Iron age Finland.
>Ice age rituals
>Pre Islamic Arabia.
>Indo european religions
>Late 1800s anarchism and German communists spreading to America.
>The aristocratic and detached abstract German philosophers of the late 1800s.
>The foundations of post modernism
>Early German Marxism
>America's perception of nihilist
>Pre civil war USA
>Thomas Jefferson
>Early post Roman intact temples, shrines, pagan statues, emperors statues etc. What the fuck did these early Catholics and Italian peoples think of these things?
>Early post Roman Latin peoples.
>The last breaths of the greco Roman pagans.
>Justifications for Christians not torching the entirety of their non Christian ancestors writings, philosophy etc.
If I don't stop now I'll be here all night.
>>
>>3059837
>roman empire
>Vietnam War
>>
File: pedersen2.jpg (1MB, 2504x3229px) Image search: [Google]
pedersen2.jpg
1MB, 2504x3229px
Firearms development from the mid 19th century to the mid 20th century.
>>
>>3059837
>ottoman cuisine
that's pretty niche anon
>>
>>3066017
These are the sorts of things you start imagining while reading these articles. So many unsolved mysteries. So much fascinating stuff it out there waiting for someone to investigate.
>>
File: Pied_piper.jpg (617KB, 620x490px) Image search: [Google]
Pied_piper.jpg
617KB, 620x490px
>>3059837
>What niche of history are you obsessed with?

How based on fact is the pied piper tale. The oldest written account just says "It is 100 years since our children left", that shit is creepy af.
>>
world wars
napoleonic era
>>
>mountain jews
>chinese cuisine (especially the impact of tea)
>traditional african religions
>irish literature
>>
>>3059837
>Sino-Roman relations
>>
>>3066131
I like tea too but my main interest is tofu.
>>
>>3066154
That's a pretty niche interest.
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 196x257px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 196x257px
the Second Sino-Jap war

shouldn't be niche but it is
>>
>>3066218
WW2 isn't niche at all bud
>>
>>3066250
the mainland asian theater is, at least in the west.
>>
>>3066257
of course the west don't give a shit, it barely affected them.

in asia its a big deal and hardly niche at all.

inb4 some chink tries to imply china actually helped defeat imperial japan
>>
>>3066269
so if I tell you I'm interested in medieval Cambodia you'd tell me it's not niche at all because Cambodians care a lot about their history, apparently.
>>
>>3065085
Both of those ethnic groups interest me, as well. They seemed to be quite out of place, far-flung from their original homelands, or otherwise displaced from the main branches of the Goths heading south and west, or even those that remained in Scandinavia or Poland. The Keifeng Jews today seem to be mostly indistinguishable from the mainstream Han Chinese ethnicity, interestingly, not unlike how Ethiopian Jews acquired traits of the regional natives as well, through intermarriage. I am unable to recommend any books, at the moment, as I am not aware of texts about the matter.
>>
>>3065085
Seconding for the Kaifeng Jews.

>>3066131
I like reading up about the various Jewish communities too.
>>
>>3060503
I don't know if it's the same period but I found the creation of national banks and insurance industries in the 17th cenntury to be a really interesting topic.
>>
>>3066269
china helped defeat imperial japan

t. not a chink
>>
>>3065995
OMG R U ME
i find textiles in general interesting.

I also am into historical food/food history/forgotton foods especially of france and england and especially the ornate and beautiful foods that were prepared in royal houses of the 17th and 18th centuries

Also, 1771-1840 exploration of the pacific northwest, esp via the Columbia River

Honestly love this board btw pham
>>
>>3059846
My parents said Basque food was the world's best food. Thoughts?
>>
>>3060322
For me, it is islamic Tile in general...can be from many places, both middle east and central asia, and also to a certain extent, studying the beauty of the written arabic as high art. I am just a white honky, know little about Islam, but the art of the words is wonderful. And one could contemplate the million shades of blue in their tile for eternity.
>>
>>3059837
Mesolithic and Neolithic Britain
>>
>>3060398
>Islamic violence
>exclusively modern
ishggydggy
>>
>>3067444
My buckaroo right here.
>>
My niche interests are fledgling, so if anyone knows of some good books please let me know.

Guild politics and merchant families
Merchant republics
Value of goods and services over time (econometrics? I can't seem to find much data on this, but it seems rather interesting to me.)
Currency and centralized banking
Paleolithic to Pre-Roman Cultural migrations (Europe)
>>
>(slavo)macedonian history
>and by consecutively but history

t. former yugoslavian republic of Macedonia
>>
File: 1496542718745.png (2MB, 1440x898px) Image search: [Google]
1496542718745.png
2MB, 1440x898px
>>3067702
>Merchant republics
What time period? I linked a Genoa booklist just in case. My specialty is more Phoenicians, moving to Venice next.

>Value of goods and services over time (econometrics? I can't seem to find much data on this, but it seems rather interesting to me.)
This stuff is interesting. Check it Diocletian's edict on prices. Includes stuff like the cost of grain transportation (it doubled every certain amount of miles over land).

>Currency and centralized banking
Sorry, don't have many good sources here sadly.

>Paleolithic to Pre-Roman Cultural migrations (Europe)
Barry Cunliffe's Europe between the Oceans covers 9000bc-1000ad. Broad but covers the ancient stuff decently.

Also Horses, Wheels, and the Language covers Indo-Europeans well.
>>
>>3067746
Disregard that I suck cocks

>And by consequence Bulgarian history
>>
The political and cultural history of the central asian republics from the end of the soviet union to (roughly) the present. It's interesting reading about how the stans attempted or are currently attempting to adapt to the collapse of the USSR and propping themselves up on their own two feet.

I doubt a lot of my fellow yanks don't even know that the stan countries exist, except for maybe Kazakhstan.
>>
>>3067702
>econometrics
Have you tried looking at cliometrics?
Also here's a cute paper for you on river transport in England:
http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/6323/1/Caffyn%2C_The_Reverend_Douglas_John_Morris.pdf
Check out Appendix A, records of historic use on pages 273-429 in particular (that is p290 in the pdf)
>>
>>3067794
A typically good entry:

1412-13. Alice de Bryene Acton regularly purchased three and half pipes of red wine
and two hogsheads of white from Ipswich. ‘A pipe at 105 imperial gallons contained
double the quantity of a hogshead. … Richard Mody once claimed 18d. in expenses for
going with a cart and seven horses to Colchester to collect a pipe of red wine.’ When
wine was purchased from Ipswich the delivery cost was 3s. ‘The distance from her
home at Acton to Ipswich was about 32 miles, and from Acton to Colchester about 32
miles, so these charges work out at roughly 0.3d and 2.7d per tun mile respectively,
suggesting that the carriage from Ipswich must have been largely by water, probably
along the coast to the Stour estuary and then via the Stour to Sudbury, only 3 or 4 miles
from Acton.’
>>
Maybe not niche, but the daily lives of Nordic peoples in the early Medieval Period. Stuff like the Saga Age of Iceland.

It all just seems so delightfully interesting, like a real life fantasy adventure novel. There's all these stories of families feuding and squabbling at home, people going on adventures abroad. There's romance, there's drama, and there's battles: campaigns in war, skirmishes and duels. There's plenty of protagonists and antagonists that rely on mixtures of cunning, strength, and support from friends or family. In a lot of ways, it's like the popular conception of the American 'Wild West'.

I also just find Pre-Christian Norse society terribly interesting as well. I'm going to try looking more into Norse influences along the river routes to Constantinople and the Mediterranean.
>>
>>3059837
Gardens in the Achaemenid Empire.
>>
File: mPFhPk9uvwA.jpg (41KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
mPFhPk9uvwA.jpg
41KB, 600x450px
>>3059837
>the culture of eastern bloc (specifically soviet) nations during the 60's to the 80's

it's just got such an A E S T H E T I C that has yet to have been matched since gorbachev's gay glasnost
>>
>>3067702
Not sure how I forgot this in my previous Genoa post, this book is great.this author also has research articles on thalassocrocies in general.
>>
>>3059837
>Latin-Byzantine Relations and interactions within the Empire's military, economy and administration from 1050 to 1204 (TLDR: They are useful tools)
>Rome, from Augustus to Hadrian
>Survival of the ERE in the 5th to 9th centuries
>>
>>3059837
European trading forts in Gold Coast on the brink of 17th century
>>
>>3065922
>borders have meant little to the Indians
so outlaws and bandits?
>>
>>3066022
>Ancient Roman cuisine
>Ancient Roman jokes
>Early post Roman intact temples, shrines, pagan statues, emperors statues etc. What the fuck did these early Catholics and Italian peoples think of these things?
>Early post Roman Latin peoples.
>The last breaths of the greco Roman pagans.
>Justifications for Christians not torching the entirety of their non Christian ancestors writings, philosophy etc.

God tier
>>
File: IMG_0648.jpg (67KB, 1105x684px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0648.jpg
67KB, 1105x684px
>>3067751
laughed irl

btw this thread is gold. So many topics I have never heard nor thought of. My brain is erect.
>>
>>3067747
>>3067927

>What time period?
It mainly stems from an interest in historic trade practices and historic financial politics, so time period doesn't matter as much to me . For the Italian republics it obviously varies depending on lifespan, but I'm not entirely familiar with them yet so I am not entirely sure. Same goes for the Hanseatic League, although I understand it isn't exactly a Merchant republic. Other than those, I'm not familiar with any other nations or groups of cities that quite have the same trade based practices. That said, I'm sure that thalassocracies would probably all rely heavily on maritime trade for income so I'll have to look into it.

>>3067794
>>3067814

Cliometrics and Cliodynamics are exactly what I was looking for, I just didn't know the names. That is a good entry, it is a bit disappointing that there aren't more that include pricing, but having records of what types of goods are coming from and going to certain locations is interesting in its own right.
Thank you both!
>>
>>3068263
I'd look into

>For Antiquity
1.Minoans/Mycenaeans
2.Phoenicians
3.Estruscans (most people aren't aware of their importance in trade. They were a huge metal distributor throughout the Mediterranean and into Continental Europe)
4. Athenian Greeks

>For medieval and Renaissance
1. Venice
2. Genoa
3. Ragusa and/or Pisa (there were a shit ton of city states but these were competitors with Venice and Genoa)
4. Portugal
5. Netherlands
>>
File: ayy_lmao.jpg (231KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ayy_lmao.jpg
231KB, 1024x768px
Pre-christianity Hungarians, and Uralic peoples in general, though I don't know much as of now. I would also appreciate book recommendations.
>>
>>3068042
Certainly some of those, but more often it's that national boundaries cut right across their territory. The Apache, for example, used to live in the far northern regions of New Spain. It didn't much effect them. Spanish control wasn't very strong that far north. Suddenly a revolution happened, and they found themselves in Mexico. Again, who gives a shit? Far from the Mexican population centers, they were little effected. Suddenly Mexican-American war happens and a national border cuts right through their homeland. They tried their very hardest to completely disregard that border, crossing it whenever they felt like, and getting in fights with US cavalry and Federales both. As late as WWI, Apaches were moving freely between the two countries in what they'd always thought of as their land.

Same shit with the Mohawks straddling the US and Canada. Interesting side note, Mohawks are a quirky example of how tribes exist in the modern era. For some reason beyond my knowledge, they really took to iron and steel work. In the Northeast, there are numerous Mohawks on just about every major construction site. One in ten ironworkers that built One World Trade Center were Mohawk.
>>
File: 1430082262508.jpg (14KB, 216x250px) Image search: [Google]
1430082262508.jpg
14KB, 216x250px
Early Rome and pre-Roman Italy. It pisses me off to no end that most of the records we get of the Kingdom is just a bunch of bullshit mythology (as interesting as it is) because of FUCKING BRENNUS.
>>
>>3068711
>They tried their very hardest to completely disregard that border,

And thus little better than brigands, outlaws and bandits?

You don't get to ignore the law due to believing it doesn't apply to you
>>
File: images (8).jpg (8KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
8KB, 183x275px
>>3068716
>Vae Victus
>>
File: 1379921801172.jpg (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1379921801172.jpg
56KB, 300x300px
>>3068737

you won't be so smug when you get fucking genocided and enslaved a few hundred years from now you fuck
>>
>>3068720
To be fair, the Apache, Pueblo, and Navajo had laws to, and those get completely disregarded.
>>
>>3068716
Why don't we have a movie about the Latin League? I want one! Everyone portrays Rome, the unstoppable imperial juggernaut. I think Rome, the betrayed, outnumbered city state, fighting for its life would be a really compelling story.
>>
>>3068797
That does sound like a very interesting idea. I personally would be very interested in a TV show that depicts Rome's rise as a power on the Italian peninsula and their initial clashes with Epirus and Carthage.
>>
>>3068797
>>3068929

Ancient Warfare magazines most recent edition is on Rome's unification of Italy.

It might be worth checking out if you guys are interested in it.
>>
>>3066071
Nigga its basically turkish cuisine without tomatoes and stuff maybe but I'm sure they also got that through trade.
>>
>>3067702
So now that I got home from work, I just realized I do have some stuff on currency. For currency stuff, specifically antiquity, books on people like the Phoenicians will inevitably link you to currency information. I couldn't remember the book, but it's The Phoenician and the West by Maria Aubet that lists certain exchange rates of currencies in the middle East from about 1000bc-600bc.

Pretty much
1 gold shekel
4 silver shekels
200 copper shekels
227 tin shekels

Then
1 talent
50 Minas
3000 shekels

They pretty much made ingots, cups, etc from metal then made those have a standard weight, so you'd trade in silver cups that were pretty universal (Assyrians horded cups like crazy autists).

This system also applied to Europe later on in some way after but the rates most likely changed, since even in the time frame I mentioned the Phoenicians managed to devalue silver for the Assyria pretty seriously to the point it was worth the same as copper.
>>
>>3070330
Is it bad that i've seen Shekels being used in a meme-ish way so often that I'd forgotten it is an actual currency?
>>
>>3070343
Whenever I read this shit it makes me stop right in my tracks. Images of clasped hands, etc start filling my head. It's a tragedy
>>
economic activity and how society was organized.
>>
File: 1479743590820.jpg (629KB, 2054x3010px) Image search: [Google]
1479743590820.jpg
629KB, 2054x3010px
>>3066039

Ian, you should be editing videos, not posting in /k/.
>>
>>3059837
Precolumbian American fashion history.
>>
File: IMG_20170420_144852.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170420_144852.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px
>>3060128
Greeks are thieves
>>
>>3070569
Also forgot to add prostitution in Mesoamerica.
>>
>>3059837
History of the Zaza people
History of the Alevi

t. Shill of both
>>
>>3060470
Stick your fingers up your butt, assmad boy
>>
File: mountain jew.jpg (887KB, 2031x2045px) Image search: [Google]
mountain jew.jpg
887KB, 2031x2045px
>>3066131

>mountain jews

You mean the Swiss or the one group of Jews that managed to avoid being Holocausted because they shot back at the Einatzgruppen rather than wait to be massacred?
>>
File: border ruffians.jpg (141KB, 960x605px) Image search: [Google]
border ruffians.jpg
141KB, 960x605px
>>3059837

>Leavenworth, LeCompton, Wyandotte, and Topeka Constitutions
>political rhetoric used by John C. Calhoun and the Fire Eaters
>persecution of the Mormons
>Antebellum filibustering
>Confederate Heartland Offensive (only attempt by the CSA during the Civil War to coordinate offensives on multiple fronts)
>British commando operations during WW2
>early rifled and repeating firearms
>Norfolk & Western Railway
>mass murder of Allied POWs in German concentration camps
>subsequent Nuremberg Trials
>Mottos of U.S. states
>lesser known shipwrecks (Princess Sophia, Empress of Ireland etc.)
>toying with the idea kidnapping random historical people who had little/no knowledge of the American Civil War, making them personally witness the the confrontation between North and South rapidly reaching its terrible climax (Compromise of 1850, Bleeding Kansas, Caning of Charles Sumner, Harpers Ferry, Lincoln-Douglass debates, Secession conventions etc.), observing their reactions, which side they are the most sympathetic to, and seeing whether or not they can accurate predict what it will lead to (the Civil War itself).
>>
>>3068764
Eh, they weren't in the position to make laws.

It'd be like saying you should respect the laws of gypsies that start camping on your land
>>
>>3065980
You got good website for doing that?
>>
>>3070797
story?
>>
Late 19th, early 20th century Japan. The Bakumatsu, the Boshin war, the Meiji restoration, all the way to the Russo-Japanese war. Every aspects of that era, from the warfare, the economics, the politics, down to the changing daily lives of the people, and the fashion.

Also, Central Asia in general, particularly pre-Islamic Central Asia. Other than that, it's mostly relatively "mainstream" interests, for example the larger 19th century, from 1789 to 1918, or Roman history, from the foundation of the city to 1453.
>>
>>3059837
Minoan Crete, Bronze age Cyprus, Bronze age Anatolia, Bronze age and early iron age Sardinia, Bronze age and early iron age Italy and Sicily, Phoenicians
>>
>>3071376
I like you
>>
>>3071306
That is a terrible analogy.

>>3071371
>Late 19th, early 20th century Japan.
Fuck yeah, Russo Japanese war! I always thought it was weird how the Japanese military went from western sabers BACK to katanas.
>>
File: IMG_1929.jpg (194KB, 772x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1929.jpg
194KB, 772x1024px
>>3059837
Uniforms and weapons of the 18th-early 19th centuries
>>
>>3071371
Anon, give me your recommended books for Central Asia.
>>
>>3060398
>Islam was NEVER violent
Wow I did not know this thank you for enlightening me
>>
The Roman Empire 96-180 AD, Babylon during the period of the Akkadian Empire, and Cold War era America.
>>
Soviet state ideology
>>
I'm really interested in land usage and ownership in the early and high middle ages of Europe. Not just generally, but I mean specifics. The size of fiefs and estates and what portions of those individual estates were given over to farming, living spaces, or just kept as woodland. I find the planning and structure of medieval manor estates fascinating and how these essentially self-contained agricultural units were planned and executed and how they participated in the larger agrarian economy of the era.
>>
>>3071780
My man.
The Cluniac monasteries were treasure troves for this sort of thing, being so concerned with land titles and other administrative paperwork.
>>
>>3068317
>>3070330

Again, thank you!
>>
>>3066123
>niche
>>
File: untitled.png (196KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
196KB, 500x270px
>>3066131
>african bushmen tribe believes all life was created by a god named Kaang
>>
>>3059837
Post-WW1 wars, revolutions, and uprisings in Europe.
>>
>>3062149
This. Handling that bolt must feel amazing.
>>
>>3060391
I'm more of a post-Tarquin to Augustus man, myself. What was it about Rome and the Roman culture that led to them not only beating out everyone in Italy, but eventually dominating western and Mediterranean Europe for centuries? It starts at duty and fidelity to state and gods but I think it ultimately devolves to the cult of personality, in which the seeds of ruin are sown while also allowing for its greatest victories - after all, had Caesar not been driven to cultivate power with this cult of personality, would he have effectively conquered Gaul?
>>
>>3067774
My nigga. This and the culinary history of Europe and America (specifically as relates to the average person) are my niche interests.

How did it go so wrong in Turkmenistan? Most of what I've seen just blames Niyazov, but that can't possibly be the only explanation.
>>
>>3060398
>fit his modern ideology
You stupid idiot, it isnt modern to expect islam to be violent, it has ALWAYS been violent, if you cant see that you are either a dumb muslim or a even dumber white liberal, either way you are the fool.
>>
>>3068737
But Camillus kicked his ass according to Livy and his revised history.
>>
>>3059837
>the genealogies of various famous people
>how the views on sexual taboos on things like incest and homosexuality have changed across time and culture
>scientific development under communist regimes
>anything involving the indo-greeks
>mixed-race people in europe before the 21st century
>diaspora in places you just wouldn't expect them to be
>historical linguistics
>the development of political parties/movements over time and how they break apart, merge, have rhetoric shifts, etc.
and the list goes on

>>3066022
>Late 1800s anarchism and German communists spreading to America.
>America's perception of nihilist
these sound really interesting
>>
>>3073481
Enjoy: http://www.fullbooks.com/American-Cookery.html
>>
>>3071818
Yeah I think part of why I came to like this stuff is that land management is one of the few things that has an abundance of historical documentation.
>>
>>3070797
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Jews
>>
Book production in the middle ages
>>
>>3059837
trying out period correct recipes of old food, the most interesting being around early colonial america, and 1600s-1800s central america and caribbean
>>
Mostly Armenian History.
>>
>>3059837
is it autistic that my main interest is mythology and folklore, especially comparative mythology, I now its not niche
>>
>the final years of the Ottoman Empire
>the final years of the Syrian Republic (not the current state)
>the final years of the Great Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
>the final years of Colonial Nigeria
>the final years of the Emirate of Afghanistan
>the final years of the British Raj
>the final years of the Russian Empire
>the final years of the Insular Government of the Philippine Islands
>pre-Columbian Andean cultures
>>
>>3074763
*know
>>
>>3059837
Mao Zedong's sexual practises
>>
>>3059837
Isolated & uncontacted cultures during times where "Here there be Dragons" were still on maps.
>>
File: 1499917364983.png (102KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1499917364983.png
102KB, 625x626px
>>3060398
>>
Geographical expeditions but especially the exploration of Antarctica.
Also US presidents.
>>
>>3075177
Absolutely based.
>>
>>3075211
>Antarctica
I share this obsession as well; "Mountains of Madness" started it.
The City of the Old Ones obviously isn't there, but there's really no telling what all actually is, under & in all that ice...
>>
>>3059837
I'm a Monarchist
>Politics in the French Ancien Regime up until the revolution, then French culture just died.
>18th century anything
>domestic history, how a household was ran by any class in any culture, who married who
>Chinese dynasties
>1920s aesthetic
>>
>>3064957
Elaborate on these African secret societies?
>>
>>3075177
Well go on, tell us.
>>
Middle Eastern Christianity and demographic data of middle eastern minority religions and ethnic groups, Byzantine empire, Dark ages Europe, Central Asian archaeology, Pagan religions, modern and historic ethnographic data of nations
>>
Everything about Stalin and Stalinism, except WW2 and the nuclear program (two subjects I leave to the professionals)
>>
File: 1498946500111.png (419KB, 680x704px) Image search: [Google]
1498946500111.png
419KB, 680x704px
>tfw we'll probably never know enough about most pre-columbian american cultures to have experts of niche topics like these thanks to the spanish burning all of the aztec, maya, and incan records.

>tfw an entire third branch of human history wiped out in addition to western and eastern
>>
>>3074680
Post 'cipes pls
>>
>>3070569
>>3070580
I would very much like to here about these, can you drop some resources?
>>
>>3076273
Like any of them matter.

Survival of the fittest has pertained to cultures. They couldn't adapt.
>>
>>3076280
>implying it's possible to adapt when you are completely isolated from every other group and get fucked by diseases and other factors outside of either parties control

The only reason the spanish didn't get fucked and die was because the Tlaxcala spared them intially and aided them. Even if the tlaxcala had finished them off as they intially planned, the entire region would have been essentially wiped out by disease the spanish brought anyways.
>>
>>3076297

Don´t you get bored?
>>
>>3076309
What?
>>
>>3076297
Like I said, they couldn't adapt, survival of the fittest. You can't blame everything thing else around them for not being patient with them.
>>
File: IMG_3675.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3675.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Niche of history

The transition of medieval Bulgar weapons from this
>>
File: IMG_3673.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3673.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3076393
To this
>>
>>3076280
This is a history board, retard. All human history necessitates rigorous study.
>>
>>3075620
Mao was always a womanizer but he started sleeping with huge amounts of women as his health deteriorated and he became infertile. He believed that the women's yin could replenish his yang. Li Zhisui, Mao’s doctor disagreed but he could never be too upfront about his opinion. Li had to listen to Mao boasting about his sexual practices and prowess; he also treated Mao of various venereal diseases.

Most of Mao's sexual partners were peasant girls but some of them were also his nurses. Nearly all the peasants ended up with STDs but they viewed the diseases as a badge of honor given to them by the Chairman. Mao had a specially made "sex bed" created (one side raised 10 centimeters higher than the other) and would have women read erotic literature to him before he got down to business. He was having sex almost every day.

Mao hired many pretty young girls as part of his dancing troupe. He would take them ballroom dancing (even though he had technically made it a bourgeois crime). After dancing, Mao would pick a girl to have sex with. This happened so much, he ordered his vice chairman to put another "sex bed" in the room next to the ballroom so he wouldn't have to walk so far for "privacy". Sometimes he would have the girls strip naked and perform synchronized swimming in his own private pool.

As Mao got older, the ages of the women he had sex with also got younger. One of the girls in the dancing troupe for the Chinese communists was a girl named Chen Luwen. Chen was 14 years old when she started to have sexual relations with the 68 year old Mao. Chen's parents were horrified and her father wanted to pen an angry letter but gave up in the end because this was the Cultural Revolution and badmouthing Mao would mean certain death.
>>
>>3076421
>dictator fucked a lot of young women
is this what passes for sensationalism these days
>>
File: KEK.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
KEK.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>3076421
>He believed that the women's yin could replenish his yang.
>>
>>3076421
And people say Mao wasn't a genius!
>>
>>3076376
>implying adaption means anything when you were dealt a shitty hand to begin with that makes it litterally impossible for you to have adapted
>>
>>3076441
It's actually basic Chinese folk beliefs going back 2 thousand years or so.
>>
>>3076421
>Sometimes he would have the girls strip naked and perform synchronized swimming in his own private pool.
Did they play patriotic communist music while this happened
>>
>>3076410
Many cultures or objectively less significant and unimportant in the study of history. They only matter people who choose to overemphasize their contributions.

>>3076452
You mean weren't able to make a stable enough society to resist Invaders or deal with disease.
>>
>>3076577
Since when has history been about "contributions"?

The Byzantine Empire has incredibly little relevant to the modern world, yet is one of the most important polities in human history.
>>
>>3076577
>You mean weren't able to make a stable enough society to resist Invaders or deal with disease.

Actually, it was precisely because their society was stable that they got fucked over: The fact they had complex, urbanized cities meant the diseases actually spread as an epidemic.

There was litterally nothing that could have prevented what happened unless the americas were never isolated to begin with.
>>
>>3076612
The byzantine contributed plenty, and helped shape the Western world.

Thus is why it's important to study. To understand how it shape events to help get where we are now.
>>
>>3076642
>Too stable to not collapse

>Over complexity that they couldn't properly manage in crisis contributed to this collapse

I don't think they were stable.
>>
>>3076643
Bullshit. We study the past because of academic curiosity. As historians, identifying and countering the biases of the present is necessary to conduct honest and reliable research.

Societies like the Indus Valley Civilization left no observable impact on our modern political landscape, yet are still incredibly important due to what they teach us about human beings in a certain place and time.
>>
>>3076665
You either have no clue how epidemiology works or even how culture and technology develop, are trolling, or are a /pol/tard

If we got wiped out by a gamma ray burst tommorow that wouldn't be our failure to adapt, that would be reality giving us the middle finger due to shitty luck. Same idea.
>>
>>3076706
Why couldn't the Aztecs just quarantine sick people and burn infected belongings like Europeans did several centuries earlier to prevent their extinction?
>>
>>3076704
Except there is plenty of evidence they contributed to humanity. Our earliest evidence of rulers and measuring tools are from them, stepwells (important in Buddhism and Jainism), and textile work are also attributed to them. All of which they would have contributed through trade with other civilizations including Egypt and Mesopotamia. This doesn't even include their cultural and religious contributions.

>>3076706
If we got wiped out from a catastrophe, it would be because we didn't properly adapt to respond to such a since.

>It's not the prey's fault the tigers fangs are so sharp!! There's nothing he could do!

Failed adaption.
>>
Manicheism in China
Friedrick II Hohenstaufen
>>
>>3076725
1. They did to an extent
2. They didn't have enough prior experience with these sorts of things on this sort of scale .
>>
>>3076752
You can't adapt to something that kills you immediately on your first exposure to it dumbass.
>>
>>3077248
>>3076752
Also, by the standards you are applying to indus river valley culture, the same sorts of contributions would have applied to the mesoamericans.

They had at the time pretty unique fiber and tension technology as well as waterworks, both in terms of agriculture and waste management. The Chinamaps system has absurdly high crop yields and basically was a form of terraforming, to name a few examples.
>>
>>3077248
And that means you failed to adapt. It means you weren't fit to survive.

>>3077262
And was any of this passed on, or did it die with them after conquests? If it carried on and provided benefit to humans still, fantastic. I always heard mesoamericana we're historical fantastic agriculturalists.
>>
File: chinampas-768x511.jpg (183KB, 768x511px) Image search: [Google]
chinampas-768x511.jpg
183KB, 768x511px
>>3077462
>And was any of this passed on, or did it die with them after conquests? If it carried on and provided benefit to humans still, fantastic. I always heard mesoamericana we're historical fantastic agriculturalists.

Chinampas are still used in what's left of the lake system in mexico city, but only one of the lakes is left and it's a fraction of the size it used to be and is highly polluted, as when the spanish took over and razed Tenochtitlan, they destroyed most of the aquaducts, dykes, leveies, and causeways that kept clean water in and brackish water out and prevented the city from flooding over; so New Spain/Mexico city kept flooding and the water became shitty; so they drained the lakes.

Of course, that resulted in dought problems, and for a long time mexico city's water supply was still not clean enough to drink, and it still suffers from flooding occasionally and soil liquidfication issues as a result. This is also why axolotl salamanders (the ones that never metaphorphize into adults) are extinct in the wild, as those lakes were their only habitat.
>>
>The period between the Finno-Korean Hyperwar and the Butlerian Jihad
The racism-free age when we were all black peoples.
Too bad the fingols lost...
>>
>>3077518
Those little guys are extinct in the wild? Damn.
>>
>>3077518
>>3077462
Masa and the nixtamalization process is Mesoamerica's greatest contribution to humanity. Not even kidding.
>>
>>3066144
I see you are a man of culture.

Anyway I have some:
1. Etruscan civilization
2. Early Byzantium
3. Early byzantine/late roman armor.
4. History of Christian heresies.
5. Pre Roman Italy
6. Carolingian Empire
7. History of the Tocharians
8. Yuexhi & Wusun (aka the Aryans of china)
9. History of the Alans/Ossetians
10. The Xiongnu.
11. The Tang
>>
>>3067353
They're goddamn right. There's a joke we have in Spain (which might not work as well in English), but it's that in Spain you eat well, in the Basque Country beyond reason. One of the reasons I ate fish as a child is because I had a Basque grandmother, and let me tell you, they know their fish.
>>
File: dis.jpg (108KB, 400x525px) Image search: [Google]
dis.jpg
108KB, 400x525px
The Scythians in general are one of the most fascinating things ever. They're basically one of the last frontiers of Archaeology/History.
>>
>>3077652
The potheads of Antiquity

>Let's bath in pot smoke dude's then drink some blood lol
>>
File: Ciudad-de-Mexico.jpg (129KB, 650x364px) Image search: [Google]
Ciudad-de-Mexico.jpg
129KB, 650x364px
>>3077582
Well, there might be a few left, but the last ecological surveys found zero and all of the ones before that found increasingly few. Even if they aren't completely extinct now there's no way they can sustain a breeding population in the wild with how small and polluted and how much it's touched by human acvitity.

Litterally almost all of mexico city used to be the lakebed the core of the aztec empire was built on, with the captial being directly where downtown mexico city is now. The ruins of the great temple complex being in the historic center
>>
>>3077630
Also, this, corn is the world's biggest grain crop, maybe even biggest crop period, you can thank it's domesticaion and breeding (along with chili peppers and a good amount of potatos) to them, as well as basically any cuisuine involving those products.
>>
>>3059837
Archaic mythology.
>>
>>3066022
Rome's entire history is incredibly interesting. From an archaic settlement of mostly men to a kingdom, to an empire.
>>
>>3074763
No, it's amazing how early mythology had so many parallels and nearly identical symbols in places far away that could never have communicated. Have you heard of the theory that all original mythology was actually telling of real events of the cosmological bodies? (i.e. Electric universe theory by thunderbolts project)
>>
>>3059837
The boshin war period of Japan, and also the Meiji period later in the day
>>
>>3075220
>Lovecraft
His stories are perfect for lovers of antiquity in both history and architecture.
>>
>>3077687
I know a Mexican architect proposed to bring back the lake but was ignored as the government preferred foreign architects ideas.
>>
>colonial new england farming, industry, and urban development
>haussman's renovations
>19th and 20th century public transit
>reality/extent and history of theistic satanism
I also really enjoy the general aesthetics of 1600-1870
>>
>>3076280
We are still living here you prick.
>>
>>3077993
Not really accomplishing much
>>
>>3077462
Mapuches survived the plague and defeated the spanish, but they weren't the ultimate culture, just more used to fighting empires and lived in colder regions meaning that they were more adapted for disease control.
>>
>>3077246
Actually I'm really interested in how Native American societies coped with pandemics. This must have completely altered their society even before 90% of these people perished.

Any books about post contact Native societies? Preferably the big organized ones in Peru and Mesoamerica.
>>
>>3077462
This is such an arbitrary metric for caring about history lmfao

Why are you angry that other people are interested in Mesoamerica? If you only want to read about Prussia or whatever, go ahead. Just leave the rest of us alone.
>>
>Napoleon's Marshalls, most specifically Lannes and Bernadotte as well as Berthier
>Pietism, a form of Lutheranism that helped form Prussia into the militaristic country it was, but is largely unknown nowadays
>Roman legions that derived from Spain, i.e. the Thirteenth or Twelfth under Caesar
Fun fact about the latter interest, Caesar preferred Legions that were formed in Spain,
because I guess his best and favored all came from Spain.
>>
>>3078025
Krzysztof Makowski he's the lead the precolombian archeologist in Peru, Garcia Linera has a great book called "hacia el gran ayllu universal" where he goes into detail about precolombian societies.
>>
>>3078025
It's reddit, but /r/askhistorians has a lot of people who know what they are talking about and I would defer to their reading lists.

>Any books about post contact Native societies? Preferably the big organized ones in Peru and Mesoamerica

Is post contact here meant to be pre, or are you asking about societies during and as colonization and conquest was ongoing? If the latter, you'll actually be in way more luck, as we have much better records of that for both obvious and not so obvious reasons.
>>
>>3066022
I always wondered how that is. Like how christian theologians would use the greek Logos and concepts like that and just map them onto christianity. And then doing the exact same thing again in the Renaissance
>>
File: 1b9.jpg (84KB, 539x539px) Image search: [Google]
1b9.jpg
84KB, 539x539px
>>3059837
>ancient greece
>assyriology
>19th century
>>
>>3078130
FUCK i didn't read the post
>>
File: the great game part 1.png (2MB, 1484x8729px) Image search: [Google]
the great game part 1.png
2MB, 1484x8729px
>>3060209
>>3062127
>>3063495
>>3065926
>>3063086
Here's a summary of a thread a based anon created a while back on The Great Game. Part 2 in the next post.
>>
File: the great game part 2.png (2MB, 1484x9710px) Image search: [Google]
the great game part 2.png
2MB, 1484x9710px
>>3078161
>>
>>3078031
>T. Somebody who thinks the people they read about are special wecial because they like them

I'm not saying don't study things you like. Just acknowledge their lack of importance. This is in a niche thread after all. I and obsessed with relatively useless shit in history.
>>
File: 1498743662194.jpg (34KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1498743662194.jpg
34KB, 657x527px
>The zeitgeist of the booming, increasingly cosmopolitan metro areas of the Sunbelt/New South

>Histories of highway systems, transportation departments at the local and national level, and mass transit systems.

>Regional identities of the United States

>German reunification

>The collapse of the Soviet Union

>Histories of airports, airlines, and the effect of avoation on society

>20th century and contemporary architecture

>Post WWII California and the history of hippies and counter-culture in the state

>Britain during the Thatcher years

>Russian industrial cities and gulags

>Miami during the Cocaine Cowboys/Mariel boatlift years

>Race riots in America

>Special seasons of sports teams and their relationship with their city
>>
File: pilots unis.png (811KB, 822x483px) Image search: [Google]
pilots unis.png
811KB, 822x483px
>>3059837
>The development of the West Coast of the United States from the Lewis & Clark expedition to the beginning of WWI
>Early American sports history
>the evolution of sports uniforms

I don't know why, but how American sports/leagues survive and expand has always fascinated me. Seeing how early teams and leagues struggled for relevancy, seeing teams go defunct or get relocated unfairly. How rules changed, how uniform colors were altered, how stadiums were built.

I'm currently reading Ball Four, which is a great player perspective on the brief history of the Seattle Pilots. An MLB team that only existed for one season, in 1969, until Bud Selig bought and relocated it to Milwaukee to become the Brewers. After that, I want to read more into the early years of American soccer. Contrary to what many people think, in the early 1900's, Soccer was very popular in the United States, mainly in the Midwest and north east, and was gaining a steady following like it was in the rest of the world. But, among other factors, when the Great Depression hit, it bankrupted many of the home grown teams and leagues, destroying any semblance of American soccer culture and development for the next 50 years.
>>
>>3070580
>>3070569
I'd also like to know about this or be directed to further reading
>>
>>3059837
16th century Italian consumer habits
Late 19th and early 20th century American bureaucracy
Land reform in former Spanish colonial possessions
>>
Extinct or unidentified ethnic groups like sea peoples, Tocharians, Sogdians, loads of indigenous Americans.
>>
File: times-square-1933.jpg (123KB, 1200x947px) Image search: [Google]
times-square-1933.jpg
123KB, 1200x947px
>Warlord Era China
>1930s New York City
>The year 1913 in general
>The history of Sakhalin
>>
>>3059837
The Order of Battle of the Heer during WWII
>>
>>3076276
>>3078230
For fashion I recommend these books:

>https://www.amazon.com/Indian-Clothing-Before-Cortes-Mesoamerican/dp/0806122889
>https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-American-Costume-Josephine-Paterek/dp/0393313824/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZQ4B2DREJ7AAJZQEZRSG
>https://www.amazon.com/Costumes-Mexico-Chloe-Sayer/dp/029271100X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499997080&sr=1-2&keywords=costumes+mexico
>https://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Indian-Costumes-Donald-Dorothy/dp/0292734263/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0292734263&pd_rd_r=PD0ZM4G54PEE7SES66DK&pd_rd_w=uGAOh&pd_rd_wg=Eir18&psc=1&refRID=PD0ZM4G54PEE7SES66DK
>https://www.amazon.com/Textiles-Ancient-Peru-Their-Techniques/dp/0295953314/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499997100&sr=1-1&keywords=textile+peru
>https://www.amazon.com/Weave-Sun-Ancient-Andean-Textiles/dp/0500277931/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0500277931&pd_rd_r=G0DSQX5Q33666P72RAPE&pd_rd_w=DNYjo&pd_rd_wg=gNLSj&psc=1&refRID=G0DSQX5Q33666P72RAPE

I have most of these books, but I can't find online pdf or ebook versions of them. I can take pictures of parts or the books or you can just ask me directly though. Also the thing with fashion in precolumbian americas is it's always best to look at the primary sources that is precolumbian art. But this also requires a lot of studying to make out what's what, which is why I recommend studying the cultures.

For prostitution in Mesoamerica I recommend:

Book 10 of the Florentine Codex (again I have but not an online version)

Klein F., Cecilia. 1994. Fighting with Femininity: Gender and War in Aztec Mexico. http://www.historicas.unam.mx/publicaciones/revistas/nahuatl/pdf/ecn24/435.pdf

http://www.academia.edu/210169/The_Metamorphosis_of_Xochiquetzal_A_Window_on_Womanhood_in_Pre-_and_Post-Conquest_Mexico

Ahuianime: Las Seductoras del Mundo Nahua Prehispánico. http://revistas.ucm.es/index.php/REAA/article/view/40112/38549
>>
>>3078794
Cont'd

some more sources on Mesoamerican prostitution

http://itinerarios.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/09_articulos_szoblik_druk.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Flower-Scorpion-Sexuality-Culture-otherwise-ebook/dp/B006D98GWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499997711&sr=8-2&keywords=flower+and+scorpion

https://decipherment.wordpress.com/2014/06/08/courtesans-and-carnal-commerce/
>>
>>3078794
>>3078807
Sick, that's way more then I expected, thank you so much.

>Also the thing with fashion in precolumbian americas is it's always best to look at the primary sources that is precolumbian art. But this also requires a lot of studying to make out what's what, which is why I recommend studying the cultures.

I already have all of the codices downloaded except for a few. I have been trying to relocate a deviantart artist who did a lot of historically accurate artwork on both maya and nahua hairstyles, which I lost track of a while ago, do you know who i'm talking about?
>>
File: aztec osprey ssdaads.jpg (109KB, 735x966px) Image search: [Google]
aztec osprey ssdaads.jpg
109KB, 735x966px
>>3078811
>>3078807
>>3078794
Also, one more thing: I recall being told this image is mislabelled, and the priest shown here is actuall mixtec or something, not mexica/aztec/tenocha, is that accurate? If so, can you explain why?
>>
File: recent history.png (70KB, 1572x900px) Image search: [Google]
recent history.png
70KB, 1572x900px
The state of 4chan in the month of May, 2014

See attached for my primary source research
>>
File: mh16 copy.jpg (860KB, 800x1057px) Image search: [Google]
mh16 copy.jpg
860KB, 800x1057px
>>3078811
Yep you are talking to him lol.
>>3078838
That priest to me looks Mexica. They did not dress the same way (most typically had long hair sometimes unkept). He has black paint, which is typical of priests and warriors, he bears a Tezcatlipoca mask of obsidian and turquoise based on a real Aztec one in the British Museum, mutilated ear from autosacrificing and bloodshot eyes from some kind of drug use. I would have to see where Angus McBride based the image from, I don't have the Osprey book on me atm, but usually the plate references are mentioned.
>>
>>3078967
>Yep you are talking to him lol.

oh, cool, nice work on those.
>>
>>3078895
2014 was a year of great change, /pol/ overtook /b/ as the flagship, GG happened, /pol/harbor happened, the word "cuck" was invented, Pepe was no longer just a reaction image but a character and The Fappening happened. It was concluded with a huge event, Moot leaving.
>>
>>3059837
The changing of the territorial power in Italy in the 1st century BC from a Republic to a sort of hereditary monarchy is really interesting.
Also the short-lived conquests and subsequent wars of the Germans in the 1930's and 40's. Really hipster subjects that nobody but me seems to really take any interest in.
>>
>>3079012
So basically the beginning of the crisis of the Third Century?
>>
>>3079012
Don't forget that guy who posted pictures of his murder victim on 4chan. I honestly think that was the last stray for moot.
>>
>>3059837
Anything that has to do with killing Nazis
>>
File: images.png (10KB, 215x234px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
10KB, 215x234px
>>3079012
>>3079026
>/sp/artan Shadows: The Rise and Fall of /sp/ 2004-2013
>>
>>3066022
>Roman
>fap
>material

Tell me more?
>>
>>3079012
Cuck wasn't invented then. "Cuckspammer" and "cuck" was used on /pol/ as early as 2012 to describe the fucks who'd spam interracial/cuckold porn on the board. Wasn't in mass use yet though.
>>
Byzantine architecture.
>>
>>3060503
What was dental hygiene in medieval times like?
>>
>>3081732
Cuck in the current usage actually started on /tv/ in 2015 as a Louis CK meme

Fortuitously, the Trump movement began only a few months after this meme arose
>>
>>3059837
Ben?
>>
>>3059837
>The Iroquois
>The bronze age collapse
>Popular culture in mid-late 19th century Britain
>History of New York City
>Colonial Rio de la Plata
>The Cagots
>Post-war Japan
>Rongorongo script
Thread posts: 282
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.