[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't the Royal Navy incorporate the captured German

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 300px-SMS_Bayern_sinking.jpg (24KB, 300x383px) Image search: [Google]
300px-SMS_Bayern_sinking.jpg
24KB, 300x383px
Why didn't the Royal Navy incorporate the captured German warships into their forces?

It seems scuttling them was a huge waste of materials, considering they had a world of colonies to keep after the war.
>>
Forgive my lack of attention!

I'm referring to the post-WW1 period.
>>
>>3057859
It would've looked bad. People would've taken it as an admission that German ships were better than British ships, and British ship building firms would've lost huge amounts of business building new ships for the navy.
>>
>>3057898
Would it look so bad if they put those ships to good use, with british sailors, on, say, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, East Africa and other faraway colonies like these?
>>
>>3057902
The Brits were mighty fickle about their navy.
>>
>>3057859
But... The Germans scuttled them?
>>
They didn't need any more ships, at the end of WW1 the Royal navy had 77 battleships and battlecruisers, and with the second largest navy in the world scuttled at Scapa Flow there was no need.
>>
>>3057923

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling_of_the_German_fleet_in_Scapa_Flow
>>
I'm willing to bet that the other allies would have had a major problem with that.

"I look upon the sinking of the German fleet as a real blessing. It disposes, once and for all, the thorny question of the redistribution of these ships." - British Admiral Wemyss
>>
>>3057923
I'm with this guy, I'm prettycsure the german navy fucked them up since they were pissed at their overlords for trying to get them killed for honour
>>
>>3057859
The British didn't scuttle the High Seas Fleet. The German crews did to stop them doing literally what you suggested.
Under the terms of the treaty the fleet was to have been divided among various powers. The French and Italians actually suspected the British had allowed the scuttling to deny them their share of the battleships.
>>
>>3058394
The eternal Anglo strikes again.
>>
>>3057859
Those ships were useless anyway. Look at the wikipedia link posted above, even the ones who survived were scrapped or destroyed as target practice not even a decde later.
The brits especially didnt need them at all since they already had the biggest naval force and France, Italy and the US were their allies, even if it does not mean much to an anglo
>>
>>3059181
They were scrapped and sunk because of tonnage limits imposed by the Washington Naval Treaty.
>>
>>3057859
We use the recovered metal from the ships sunk at scapa flow and at the battle of jutland to make geiger-counters, because the steel isn't contaminated by radiation from nuclear weapons testing.
>>
>>3057859
The German navy sank itself in Scapa Flow in one of the most historically decisive acts of autism of the 20th century.
>>
File: navy.jpg (13KB, 300x396px) Image search: [Google]
navy.jpg
13KB, 300x396px
>>3057859
>>3058394
>>3059696

On a very related note, if you want an amazing historical read, check this out. The man who bought the sunken German fleet, and proceeded to salvage it (despite having no previous experience in such work).
>>
>>3057923
This.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.