[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here is what Maimonides, a famous medieval Rabbi, says about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Maimonides-Rambam.jpg (8KB, 198x264px) Image search: [Google]
Maimonides-Rambam.jpg
8KB, 198x264px
Here is what Maimonides, a famous medieval Rabbi, says about the Messiah and Jesus in Hilchot Melachim uMilchamot - Chapter 11 paragraph 4; what are your thoughts?

>"If a king will arise from the House of David who diligently contemplates the Torah and observes its mitzvot as prescribed by the Written Law and the Oral Law as David, his ancestor, will compel all of Israel to walk in (the way of the Torah) and rectify the breaches in its observance, and fight the wars of God, we may, with assurance, consider him Mashiach.

>"If he succeeds in the above, builds the Temple in its place, and gathers the dispersed of Israel, he is definitely the Mashiach.

>"He will then improve the entire world, motivating all the nations to serve God together, as Tzephaniah 3:9 states: 'I will transform the peoples to a purer language that they all will call upon the name of God and serve Him with one purpose.'

>"If he did not succeed to this degree or was killed, he surely is not the redeemer promised by the Torah. Rather, he should be considered as all the other proper and complete kings of the Davidic dynasty who died. God caused him to arise only to test the many, as Daniel 11:35 states: 'And some of the wise men will stumble, to try them, to refine, and to clarify until the appointed time, because the set time is in the future.'

>"Jesus of Nazareth who aspired to be the Mashiach and was executed by the court was also alluded to in Daniel's prophecies, as ibid. 11:14 states: 'The vulgar among your people shall exalt themselves in an attempt to fulfill the vision, but they shall stumble.' (cont.)
>>
>>3056640

>"Can there be a greater stumbling block than Christianity? All the prophets spoke of Mashiach as the redeemer of Israel and their savior who would gather their dispersed and strengthen their observance of the mitzvot. In contrast, Christianity caused the Jews to be slain by the sword, their remnants to be scattered and humbled, the Torah to be altered, and the majority of the world to err and serve a god other than the Lord.

>"Nevertheless, the intent of the Creator of the world is not within the power of man to comprehend, for His ways are not our ways, nor are His thoughts, our thoughts. Ultimately, all the deeds of Jesus of Nazareth and that Ishmaelite who arose after him will only serve to prepare the way for Mashiach's coming and the improvement of the entire world, motivating the nations to serve God together as Tzephaniah 3:9 states: 'I will transform the peoples to a purer language that they all will call upon the name of God and serve Him with one purpose.'

>"How will this come about? The entire world has already become filled with the mention of Mashiach, Torah, and mitzvot. These matters have been spread to the furthermost islands to many stubborn-hearted nations. They discuss these matters and the mitzvot of the Torah, saying: 'These mitzvot were true, but were already negated in the present age and are not applicable for all time.'

>"Others say: 'Implied in the mitzvot are hidden concepts that can not be understood simply. The Mashiach has already come and revealed those hidden truths.'

>'When the true Messianic king will arise and prove successful, his position becoming exalted and uplifted, they will all return and realize that their ancestors endowed them with a false heritage and their prophets and ancestors caused them to err."
>>
Oh shit I agree with this dude.
Does he have anything worth reading?
>>
>>3056657
Not OP, but Moreh Nevuchim is quite good. However, he's writing it as a "basic guide", but not to a lay person, he's really aiming at a rabbinical student. If you're not fairly conversant with Jewish theology, a lot of it will lead you in the dark as he just skips over all the basics.
>>
>>3056640
Another elaborate oration from someone living at a time when a lofty writing was the highlight of their legacy.
>>
>>3056657

Mishneh Torah is another major work of us
>>
>>3056640
>>3056645
I don't speak Jewish, can someone translate this for me?
>>
>>3056640
>>3056645

I was expecting another closeted skeleton.
This is pretty agreeable, OP. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>3057132

Maimonides claims Jesus was the failed Messiah foreseen in the book of Daniel, causing Jews to be killed and exiled rather than gathered in Israel, altering the Bible and led the world to worship a false god. While at the same time Jesus and the Ishmaelite Muhammad has at least spread the concept of the Bible and God to the far corners of the Earth, preparing it for the coming of the true Messiah
>>
>>3056640
>what are your thoughts?
Didn't Derrida or Levinas discuss something like this (e.g. "forever postponed/deffered")? There's also a joke about Rabinovitch (generic Russian Jew name) on top of the tower, being the watchman looking around in case Communism finally arrive and we all live in a post-economic society. But it never arrived.

Semi-related, but for a new Christian development and response, there is the Death of God theology (basically post-Hegelian/post-Heideggerian continental 2deep4u shit) and Future Christ by Laruelle, which I barely even understood when I read it. I think both tried to sidestep the idea of messianic salvation and utopia promises.
>>
>>3057132
don't bother, it's a subversion of Christianity.
>>
File: 1492738743629.jpg (108KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492738743629.jpg
108KB, 400x400px
>>3057258
If you think about it, Hitler is the only reason there's an Israel today...
>>
I caught the reference to him in curb your enthusiasm, felt really smart!
>>
File: lehi.png (57KB, 1200x873px) Image search: [Google]
lehi.png
57KB, 1200x873px
>>3058646
Not true at all. You do realize there was a 60 year period of Zionism before 1948, right?
>>
>>3058688
Your repeating digits disagree
>>
>>3058688
Zionist propaganda. The UN created the whole Zionism thing IIRC. No holocaust = No Israel.
>>
File: IMG_NEW.jpg (463KB, 1386x790px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_NEW.jpg
463KB, 1386x790px
>>3058646
>>3059072

But the Israel today is not the theocracy that the messianic age is supposed to establish. There is supposed to be a king and a reestablished priesthood that administers to the 3rd temple built by said king. The state of Israel today was not founded for religious purposes but for an atheistic nationalistic ideology.
>>
>>3059072
>not knowing who Theodore Hertzel is or the pre WW2 want for a Jewish state.

I'll take "Prominent Zionists in the late 1800's" for 500, Alex.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.