[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do psychedelic drugs actually have a powerful and nearly unexplainable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Do psychedelic drugs actually have a powerful and nearly unexplainable effect on people's minds that can alter their perspective and world view even after their trips, or are accounts of this just people babbling under the influence of drugs who haven't actually changed? Was it's potential for changing one's views on life in a positive way always considered, or is that just a cultural consequence of the climate of the 60s?
>>
Yes, they have powerful effects. They can't just change your life by themselves, you need to work with them to have benefits.
>>
Unexplainable? LSD is psycho-active, which means it causes neurons to fire without the usual mental stimulation. This makes thoughts seem to appear in a person's mind without having directly thought about it, making a person feel as though their thoughts have a 'higher truth' devoid of their own personal pitfalls. As for whether or not this process is positive, it depends upon the stimulation given to a person and their mental state before hand. Some people, die hard conservatives for example, have a hard time processing new thoughts so they get spooked by these 'foreign thoughts'. To a young student it can inspire interests in things previously disregarded. To a veteran they'll get flashbacks of things they would rather not to think about.

Speaking for myself I'd say it's wonderful. I was once a very selfish person, trapped in a mental cage of my own design. LSD inspired thoughts of love and joy that I thought I was incapable of, encouraging me to seek out joy in places I would have never expected.

On another note, I'm not convinced of LSD's impact upon music. Psychedelic music was a, as you say, 'cultural consequence'.
>>
>>3049137
>On another note, I'm not convinced of LSD's impact upon music. Psychedelic music was a, as you say, 'cultural consequence'.
Not this anon, and off topic,but an often overlooked drug to the development of musical movements is heroin.

LSD is pretty dope but overrated. Some shit you learn you can come up with by thinking a lot, and a lot of the other thoughts that pop up in your head is jumbled nonsense
>>
>>3048749

>They were then administered a functional fixedness task in which faster completion times indicate greater creative problem-solving ability. Participants reporting classic psychedelic use concurrent with mystical experience (n = 11) exhibited significantly faster times on the functional fixedness task (Cohen's d = -.87; large effect)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27719438

>Consistent with participant claims of hallucinogen-occasioned increases in aesthetic appreciation, imagination, and creativity, we found significant increases in Openness following a high-dose psilocybin session. In participants who had mystical experiences during their psilocybin session, Openness remained significantly higher than baseline more than 1 year after the session. The findings suggest a specific role for psilocybin and mystical-type experiences in adult personality change.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21956378

>Lifetime classic psychedelic use was associated with a significantly reduced odds of past month psychological distress (weighted odds ratio (OR)=0.81 (0.72-0.91)), past year suicidal thinking (weighted OR=0.86 (0.78-0.94)), past year suicidal planning (weighted OR=0.71 (0.54-0.94)), and past year suicide attempt (weighted OR=0.64 (0.46-0.89)), whereas lifetime illicit use of other drugs was largely associated with an increased likelihood of these outcomes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25586402

>The present data indicate that ayahuasca enhances creative divergent thinking. They suggest that ayahuasca increases psychological flexibility, which may facilitate psychotherapeutic interventions and support clinical trial initiatives.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27435062
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.