[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm very interested in Yoga and I've read about Patanjali

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

I'm very interested in Yoga and I've read about Patanjali but what I haven't found and want to know is why didn't they do strength training/Calisthenics? Was that not necessary for them? Why didn't they excercise with repeated movements? I don't even know if this is the right board.
>>
File: krishna.jpg (25KB, 214x256px) Image search: [Google]
krishna.jpg
25KB, 214x256px
>>3042896

Well, keep in mind that many of the Buddhist, Jainist and Hindu sects/groups throughout Indias history have advocated austere diets if not outright occasional fasting. Members of the Buddhist Sangha during the time of Buddha's life were instructed to not eat after the mid-day meal.

Most Buddhist, Jainist and Hindu monks/ascetics would obtain their meals by going from home to home begging with their alms bowl and would eat very little a day. Most of them spent their time meditating, in yoga, conversing to their guru/teacher or slowly walking from place to place. These people would be pretty skinny and not have a lot of muscle but would be in okay shape from walking and meditating and not eating excessively.

Aside from the fact that exercise for the sake of simply increasing muscle size/strength goes completely against the tenets and attitude of Buddhism, Jainism and Hinduism; any sort of strength training would dramatically speed up their metabolisms and would mean their bodies would need way more food, drastically worsening their hunger if they didn't get it. It would make no sense for someone who receives their food from begging to try to be developing their physique.
>>
>>3042896
Yoga literally means "union" or "linking up" and refers to linking up one to God. It's first and foremost a method to withdraw the mind from the senses in order to directly perceive God. Yoga in the West, specifically Hatha Yoga, has somehow become known as primarily some sort of exercise for physical fitness, but this is not the case at all. Hatha Yoga does produce great health effects for the physical body, but these effects are merely secondary to the primary mental purification effects it has. If you really want to learn the process of Yoga read the Bhagavad Gita.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.