[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here know anything about the Italian Wars? I have a question:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

Anyone here know anything about the Italian Wars? I have a question:
why wasn't ranged infantry used in fortified positions protected by Landsknechts and pikemen, like at Bicocca, not more used, it seems like that would be the most effective against the Swiss pikemen.
Was there a lack of ranged infantry during the wars? I know that it was a transition period between bows and crossbows and gunpowder weapons, but crossbows were still used and IIRC they could still penetrate the heavy gendarme armour (so they could definetly shoot the Swiss pikemen too). But I think it is also not like military leaders were scepctical towards arquebuses I think, Machiavelli already wrote in 1520 that every man should now how to operate a firearm and praised the oposition for its use of it.
I have a couple theories and I would like someone who knows way more about it than I do to tell me if it is wrong or right:
Due to standing armies not being a thing yet, and due to the perceived effectiveness of the Swiss pikemen the rulers in Itlay and France preferred hiring Swiss pikemen or their immitators instead of other types of infantry, and it took the arquebus armed proto-standing army of the Spanish to get ranged infantry into the play. Military leaders were still sceptical of this tactic and only after it was proven to work at Bicocca did they want to recruit more arquebusiers among their infantry like the Spanish did.
Is this correct? It seems the most obvious answer but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on the internet yet.
>>
and obviously during this period most of the cavalry was still lance-equipped gendarme shit, but for example the Venetians also had Stratioti that had ranged weapons, and the French had Argoulets, wouldn't those also be effective against the Swiss pikemen? Or where they not used in that way due to fear of being flanked?
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.