[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did the Persians called themselves and their country/empire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1048748612.jpg (211KB, 1000x541px) Image search: [Google]
1048748612.jpg
211KB, 1000x541px
How did the Persians called themselves and their country/empire ? I mean isn't "persian" a name given by the greeks to describe them ?
>>
>>3038105
Depends on which Persian empire you're referring to.

The Achaemenids called it simply "Khshassa." Meaning "The Empire."
The Parthians called theirs the Arsacid Kingdom
The Sassanids called theirs Ehranshahr (Kingdom of Iranians)
>>
>>3038155
Sorry for the specifing I was referring to the Achaemenids. So they literally called their country "the Empire" ?
>>
>>3038180
Yes. If only because its the only name the Persians referred to their empire in surviving sources.
> Daryaee, edited by Touraj; A. Shapour Shahbazi (2012). The Oxford handbook of Iranian history. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 131. ISBN 978-0-19-973215-9. Retrieved 29 December 2016. Although the Persians and Medes shared domination and others were placed in important positions, the Achaemenids did not -- could not -- provide a name for their multinational state. Nevertheless, they referred to it as Khshassa, "the Empire".

It's not unique in history, you see shit like that a lot. China for example went for the longest time simply by the name "Tianxia" (All Under Heaven, literally. But meaning "Empire.") before Zhongguo (middle state) became the proper name. In medieval European history, when someone says "the Empire." it just refers to the HRE.
>>
I think Rome and Constantinople were just called "the city" by its inhabitants.
>>
The Greeks liked to name large groups of people after limited geographical areas (see also India). Persian literally means people from Pars, modern Fars. Its kind of an arbitrary designation, like most ancient ones.
>>
>>3038237
No. Roma had a definite name. And so did their Empire: Imperium Romanum.
>>
>>3038215
faction_name not found
>>
>>3038155
No, the Achaemenids called themselves the Parsa.
>>
>>3038105
I think Persis comes from the Greeks localization of Pars, the Persian homeland, and the Romans adopted from that into Persia.
>>
>>3038155
also of not is that the Sassanid "Eran" and its modern form Iran mean Aryan so a more literal translation can be kingdom/land of the Aryans
>>
>>3038436
Isn't that a name given by the greeks too ?
>>
>>3042072
No, again: Persis and Persia are the Latin and Greek localizations of Pars. Just like the Arabs who can not into Ps say "Fars" instead of Pars. Pars is the homeland of the Persians, Cyrus and all other Achaemenids refer to their country/nation as "Pars" and themselves as the "Parsa", we have no idea what they actually called their empire in their own native Old Persian language but >>3038155
>>3038215 has shown, it was just from fragmentary evidence known as the "empire".

So tl ; dr Persians used to call themselves Parsa, Greeks and Romans turned it into Persians and later Arab pronunciation of this became Fars and Persian (Iran) language is known as the Farsi/Parsi dialect.
>>
>>3042316
And where the name Iran comes from ?
>>
>>3042753
Iron - country of aryans
>>
Since some people seems interested in this thread how do you actually see the Persian Empire and what do you think was their biggest mistake ? I see them in a good way but beside "muh attacking greece" can't think of something else (not an expert)
>>
>>3042753
Because Persian=/=Iranian
Persia is part of larger Iranic people which include, Parthians, Sogdians, Bactrians, Scythians, Sarmatians, Ossetians, etc.
Persians specifically called themselves Parsa, but the wider Iranic people as whole called themselves 'Arya'
Iran as envisioned by the Shah was made as an Iranic county, and not solely a Persian one
>>
>>3038105
Romans
>>
>>3042753
The Iranians/Iranics localizing the name the Elamites gave to the Iranian Plateau, from Elam to Eran.

>>3042893
The reason the Shah renamed the country from Persia to Iran was because the West generally always assumed all Iranians are Persians and that Persians have never natively called their country. Plus it helped also solidify his control of the country with non-Persian Iranians like the Azeris, Gilakis, etc...from breaking away.
>>
>>3042753
>And where the name Iran comes from ?
Sassanian Empire Ehranshahr/Iranshahr, is pronounced the same as Iran.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.